Best software to use for league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Best software to use for league

Moderator: Football Moderators

league software

Postby Snatch1414 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:08 am

I use fanball and it's the cheapest of the pay sites and it works just fine (didn't do a live draft on it though so I don't know about that). Yahoo is fine if your scoring system fits (trust me not all do, and our's isn't that unique).
Snatch1414
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby hawksfan896 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:19 am

kevinashcraft wrote:
hawksfan896 wrote:Hate to beat a dead horse, but I wholeheartedly agree with above posts. Yahoo is absolutely fantastic. No pay site will offer more than yahoo, I promise you that. I'm commissioner of my league, and we've bounced around different sites the last few years, but we settled on yahoo, not only because it's free, but because it's best. It gives you a lot of freedom as commish too.

Actuallu you get A TON MORE on pay sites. I have used Fanball and am using expert leagues.com this season for my 16 team dynasty league. Here are just SOME of the thing Yahoo doesnt offer:

1. Keeper/Dynasty league capability
2. COntract or Salary Cap capability
3. Blind Bidding for FAs
4. Lge setup for more than one division
5. Team analysis, such as Power rankings
6. Ability to draft coaches
7. Ability to draft punters
8. Nicer league message boards
9. TIMELY customer support(with most)
10. More options overall

Thats a top 10 Laundry List of why Yahoo is fine for cheapies who like few options and little flexibility. Yahoo was fine for the first season and then when I realized what else was out there, there was no choice but to leave Yahoo....Yahoo is for rookies and cheap people....My league on Fanball last year was $5 a person....if one cant afford $5 to have a cooler league then why be playing in the first place...go out and make some money lol ;-D

OK, I forgot about not having the keeper option, that is one lacking thing. The other 9, however, I just don't see. I personally hate salary cap systems, and this might be obtuse, but I think most fantasy players prefer traditional pickup systems. Not sure what blind bidding for FAs is, but the system of worst team gets first choice, then reverse order of last pickup seems to work just fine for us, you can set up yahoo with different divisions, there's only about 17,000 websites with power rankings and team analysis, and why on earth would you want to draft a coach/punter? Yahoo message boards are neat because you type stuff in, then it shows up on the message board. It's kind of a new thing they're doing. (I don't consider it that mean) How, exactly, does yours work? We haven't had problems with customer support, but we haven't had an issue in the 4 years we've been using yahoo (quite a record). Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to slander your league or website, I just don't see huge advantages. You're right though, 5 bucks is definitely dirt cheap.
"When I was a kid I thought I was going to be the starting centerfielder for the Boston Red Sox. Life sucks, get a f___ing helmet." --Dennis Leary
hawksfan896
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Postby MadScott » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:03 am

Some friends and I are trying out EA SportsFFL this year. $99 and it looks like it's got great features.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby indecisiv » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:42 am

Hawksfan, it was my understanding that you couldn't use divisions in Yahoo unless you paid for the Fantasy Football Plus. Then you could have like 2 divisions. But so long as it was the free version of yahoo divisions were not allowed.
indecisiv
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Gunslinger » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:13 am

What it boils down to is: what do you want from the league/site? I am in both a free yahoo league (for my casual work league) and multiple pay leagues on RTSports (2 keeper and a dynasty which need to be highly customizable). Both sites are perfect for what we need them for.

My pay leagues are year-round and have a much better message board which is great since the owners are scattered all over the country so it lets us keep in touch. It also allows for much more customizing of scoring/league setup/etc... which is needed for those of us that harp over the smallest details.

However my work league doesn't need all that stuff. We see each other every day so the message board isn't needed and we run a vanilla type league that doesn't require much more than the standard scoring formats. Yahoo is perfect for it.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby marvin88 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:29 am

imo yahoo is fine for almost all redraft leagues. the only problem i've ever had with them is not all scoring options are available. but if you're trying to start a serious keeper or dynasty then you want to have your league online all year and yahoo won't do that. i'm using fantasy-freaks this year for a new keeper. we haven't drafted yet so i can't recommend or not but it has all the options of keeper, dynasty, auction, blindbidding FA. you can have serpentine or traditional drafts and it's totally free. you have to register but that's just email. if anyone has any experience with this site let me know, but if you're looking for a free option for a more advanced league this looks like it works.
marvin88
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Location: wishing i could change my name to canadian colthead.

Postby FFGuru » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:26 am

http://www.net-commish.com

Only 50-55 bucks and can be totally customized to how you want it to run, look and feel.

IDP, live stats, cell phone live fantasy scores.
FFGuru
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby 34=Sweetness » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:31 am

Has anyone ever like emailed Yahoo customer service about adding keeper league functions to their fantasy service? Because if they do its over, Yahoo has won. Why dont we do that? Get a petition and then like everybody can sign it and we send it to Yahoo.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bertfinsfan » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:30 am

Switched to Real TimeSports last year.

It had great functionality but lacked in the presentation.
They revamped the site this year and it looks great.

You should check it out: http://www.rtsports.com/
bertfinsfan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby moose_ffc » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:11 am

I used fanball and the live draft last year. I was all great! My whole league loved it. Lots of great features. Here is an ARTICLE that talks about what to look for and they liked Yahoo for free, but for a pay package they really liked fanball.
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk