Is too much made of "the contract year"? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is too much made of "the contract year"?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is too much made of "the contract year"?

Postby Azrael » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:24 pm

I always see posts and other fantasy sites, magazines, etc. making statements about a player including "...and don't forget, it's his contract year"

Does the player really play harder or make a conscious effort to perform better in the last year of his contract? I find this hard to believe that a player can really do that much more than he had been doing previously. I believe most guys are out there working as hard as they can every year.

I also think that the theory behind the "contract year" would actually be more detrimental to the team and/or player than helpful. I think if the player were actually that much more conscious of focusing on increasing his stats it would make him more selfish, less team oriented, and more likely to be a pain if "he isn't getting the ball enough."

What do others think and does anyone have any stats regarding players contract years in relation to typical years?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:58 pm

There is overwhelming evidence in baseball that the contract year is a myth. I have never looked at a study of the NFL stats but I am inclined to believe it doesn't exist in football either.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby atvjerryrice80 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:10 pm

it doesnt exist. they play as hard as they can, they want to go to the superbowl every year thats the ultimate goal, there all tryin to get there
atvjerryrice80
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby goleafsgo96 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:12 pm

atvjerryrice80 wrote:it doesnt exist. they play as hard as they can, they want to go to the superbowl every year thats the ultimate goal, there all tryin to get there

i agree, whenever someone uses the contract year thing in an argument against me, i laugh. Anyone who is willing to play well in a contract year is willing to play that hard every year to bring home the big prize.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:16 pm

I think some players AFTER getting a big contract just kind of put it on cruise control, but for the most part all players play 100%. I mean, you cannot make it in the NFL if you're not going 100%. I drafted Terrell Owens last year when he was in a "contract year" and he had one of his worst seasons ever as a starter.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bowie » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:18 pm

I agree that the contract year is not that big an infuence, but maybe for more cynical reasons. Contracts are not guaranteed in the NFL and they all have incentives built in. Obviously these guys are competitors and want to win, but there is cash on the line each season as well. Someone would have to be crazy to coast until their contract year in the NFL.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby MadScott » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:39 pm

I do agree with what everyone has said so far in this thread but I also don't think that you can summarily dismiss this discussion.

I look at an Edgerrin James this year for example. Indications out of camp so far is that he actually looks back to the form that made him the sensation that he was prior to his injury. I'm sure some of that is simply due to the fact that time and effort on his part have both helped to heal his knee but how much more incentive does he have this year to go out and perform at the highest level? When a dog is backed in a corner and threatened, isn't that when it is most dangerous? In essence, Edge after the injury has had this looming cloud of question about his ability, what better way to shatter that myth than to focus as much energy and effort into proving any doubter wrong and coming up huge. In essence, he's going to be doubly rewarded not only by putting the nay-sayers in their places but he's also going to score financially.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:41 pm

I agree that too much is made of the contract year. But I also agree that players ease up a little once they have financial security. I mean, look at Brian Urlacher.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DaChiefs » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:21 am

I think its overhyped, but there are definetly times where players play out of their minds during contract seasons then fall back down to average.

See: Lopez, Javy
DaChiefs Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby MadScott » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:51 am

DaChiefs wrote:See: Lopez, Javy
Who is he WR, QB or RB? ;-7
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk