A look at Fred Taylor... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A look at Fred Taylor...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby GreatGoku » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:07 pm

Well written, and good article. I think Fred will be a great back this year(plus hes my favorite player). In all my drafts(about 4 or 5) Fred Taylor never was taken before the 10th pick. I grabbed him 12th overall in my first draft. I consider that a steal(again, I'm a big fan). Hes posted great seasons in the past and will have a good future I think.
GreatGoku
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 34=Sweetness » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:12 pm

Wow, Goku. Your WR corps is mindblowing........ ly painful. I like Taylor, and got him with the 10th pick in the 1&Short Keeper League. I believe hes 28 and I think hes going to have a big season this year.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Shader » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:25 pm

Taylor has the talent to be a top 5 back. Yes, I realize that's a little high, but he didn't get alot of td's last year. If he could even climb up to 11 or 12 td's, I think he could just have a monstrous year. For some reason, he doesn't get the goalline carries, though I think he would do fine. I put Taylor just behind Edgerrin, and therefore 9th among rb's, with the talent to jump a little higher if the Jags offense really blows up.
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby hawksfan896 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:32 pm

Wow nice posts. Now I gotta be the bad guy. I wouldn't touch him. Did you guys catch the early part of the article? He conceded that he could and probably should have played through some of the injuries his first THREE seasons? Randy Moss takes a few plays off here and there and he's a bad guy, this guy takes ENTIRE GAMES off and "fragile Freddy" doesn't fit? So he's been in the league, what 6 years or so now? One missed season seems reasonable (to say the least considering the injury), but what of the first 3? Just didn't feel like going? Nice. So now he's had 2 (somewhat) productive years. You with me? So that's 2 of 6 years where he was healthy and made some sort of effort to help win football games. Nice record. He's a professional football player, and the could-and should-have comment just sends up too many red flags, and it has since I first heard it years ago. Just because the 2 seasons that he worked happen to be the last 2 doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Chances are he'll have a fine year, and I hope he does, but I'm not gambling on it. Time will tell, as with everything else, but I'd rather go with a multimillionaire athelete with a few legal problems (their track record isn't too bad...OJ, Kobe, Rae Carruth...OK not the last one, but he was an idiot. Point is rich people don't go to jail) than a guy that I'm not sure if he's gonna play cause he's got a little boo boo. Let the arguments begin.

Disclaimer--Yes, I've had him on my roster twice...both years what I'd call "dark years", or maybe to put it in Freddy's words, years that he didn't-but should've felt like playing.
"When I was a kid I thought I was going to be the starting centerfielder for the Boston Red Sox. Life sucks, get a f___ing helmet." --Dennis Leary
hawksfan896
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Postby GreatGoku » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:08 pm

I'm going to go alittle off topic here but stay with it at the same time. Lets all review Fred Taylor's carrer. In 1998, his rookie year, he rushed for 1223 yds and a carrer high or 14 TDs. He played in all 15 games and started 12. Not too bad wouldn't you said? Next year in 1999, he was injured, yes. But still the Jaguars made in to the AFC Title game. I'm on of few Jag fans I'm sure, but lets think here. 14-2 was the Jags record in 1999 only losing to the rival, Tennessee. Of course in the title game they lost and didn't make it to the super bowl. You never hear alot about the Jacksonville Jaguars. Why? I don't know this. But as for Fred Taylor. Hes a great running back. No questions ask, right? Of course there are, like his ability to be a solid back. Lets refer to the intial post
"Try this test: run down to Home Depot and buy a circular saw. Plug it in, turn it on, and flip it upside down. Then jump on top of it, crotch-first. Then see if you feel like running around the football field."
Mmm, ya. That would hurt a player, no? You have to think about the players health. If Fred Taylor needed to sit out a few weeks to fully recover, then fine. Don't question him as a good player or not. Hes proven hes a great player, when heathly. Have you ever heard him complain about money? I don't think he has ever done so. Hes a team player, something not alot of players are anymore. Hes a running back and a good one too. So before you question his heart and dedication to the game, remember hes still in Jacksonville as their top RB.

To the Question of TDs. When Coughlin(sorry if its spelled worng) was coahing, he always put someone else in to get the short yardarge. Fred Taylor probly would of been able to get the TDs with no problem. Lets go back to being a team, Tom understood that Jacksonville was a TEAM. He probly resorted to short-yardarge rbs becuase he didn't want Taylor to get injured and so on. Who knows. But Taylor is a productive running back none the less. Hes posted great numbers whens hes healthy and will continue to do so. (Sorry thats about all I have to say, no closing or anything :P, I'm not a very good writer.)

-Thanks
GreatGoku
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:24 pm

Fred Taylor is an enigma this year, just like every year. I would give him two titles:

1) Guy drafted outside of the top6 RBS most likely to end the season as the #1 RB.

2) Guy drafted inside the top10 RBs most likely to finish outside of the top25 RB.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby allmotorjunkie » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:15 pm

I drafted Fred Taylor with the 2.2 pick in a 10 team snake draft. I took Fred Taylor before Michael Bennet, Dominick Davis, Corey Dillon, and a few other good rbs.

I hope I made a good decision but the only way to find out is to let the season unfold.
---------
10 team H2H with 17 man roster and starts 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1RB/WR, 1TE, 1Kicker, 2Def:

QB: Trent Green, Brad Johnson
RB: Fred Taylor, Duce Staley, Thomas Jones, Steven Jackson, Tyrone Wheatley
WR: Randy Moss, Santana Moss, Derrick Mason, Reggie Williams, Lee Evans, Travis Taylor
TE: J Shockey
Kicker: Olindo Mare
DEF: Indy, MInnesota
allmotorjunkie
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby SiouxCitySavages » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:27 pm

You all aint sayin nothin that I haven't preached about for years..Freddy Taylor, when healthy, is one of the best RBs to play the game. He is one of my keepers in the GBFFL along with Priest Holmes...tell me that aint a dynamic duo to have in your backfield this year....
SiouxCitySavages
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby atvjerryrice80 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:50 pm

i like taylor at 9 or 10
atvjerryrice80
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous