Steeler RBBC - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Steeler RBBC

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:58 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:Does Hugh Douglas qualify under that?

He's Exhibit A in my argument.

:-b
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:54 pm

Yeah, but Duce seemed like more of a: "We alreay have 2 good younger RB's and we need money for upgrading elsewhere" kinda of deal.

However, if Duce, Emmons, Taylor, and Vincent all significantly drop in ability on the field this year, Reid's reputation as a coach had better go up.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:08 pm

A 2-back rotation in Pittsburgh does not mean Bettis will get more carries than Duce. In fact, most people have realized all along that Bettis is going to "steal" a fairly large chunk of carries away from Duce. If you look at the Pittsburgh Steeler team, you've got to realize that there is no way any one player can get a large majority of the carries there.

I expect the Steeler's to run the ball upwards of 500+ times this season. That means that even if Bettis were to start every game and rush 200-250 times (doubtful), that leaves around 200-250 carries for Duce. The difference maker for Staley, just like in year's past, is his ability to catch the football out of the backfield. In addition to those 200 carries (minimum), Duce should be seeing upwards of 50 passes his way throughout the season. Bettis cannot catch the ball, so virtually every pass play involving a RB will go through Duce.

200 carries x 4ypc= 800 yards
50 catches x 8ypc= 400 yards

1200 total yards bare minimum.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby MadScott » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:40 pm

Kensat30 wrote:A 2-back rotation in Pittsburgh does not mean Bettis will get more carries than Duce. In fact, most people have realized all along that Bettis is going to "steal" a fairly large chunk of carries away from Duce. If you look at the Pittsburgh Steeler team, you've got to realize that there is no way any one player can get a large majority of the carries there.

I expect the Steeler's to run the ball upwards of 500+ times this season. That means that even if Bettis were to start every game and rush 200-250 times (doubtful), that leaves around 200-250 carries for Duce. The difference maker for Staley, just like in year's past, is his ability to catch the football out of the backfield. In addition to those 200 carries (minimum), Duce should be seeing upwards of 50 passes his way throughout the season. Bettis cannot catch the ball, so virtually every pass play involving a RB will go through Duce.

200 carries x 4ypc= 800 yards
50 catches x 8ypc= 400 yards

1200 total yards bare minimum.
Great assesment Kensat. I was projecting similar #s for Staley as well. He's just not the type of guy that's ever going to be a 300+ carry back. He only had over 300 rushing attempts once in his career, back in 1999. Needless to say those days are behind him.

That anyone could unseat Bettis is laughable. They list him at 255 lbs., but I think we all know that he's a few cheeseburgers over that.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk