QGriffin News. Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

QGriffin News. Discussion

Postby Warpigs » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:40 am

Broncos: Griffin winning over teammates

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Thursday, August 12, 2004

News
There is little doubt among Quentin Griffin's teammates and coaches that the diminutive running back can fill the sizeable void left by Clinton Portis. "He's having an excellent camp," running backs coach Bobby Turner told the Denver Post. "He doesn't make mistakes. I wasn't surprised by what he did [in the preseason opener] at all. In fact, I'm even expecting more than that."

Views
We're not about to get swooped up in the snowballing comparisons between Griffin and Barry Sanders, but we cannot dispute the fact that Q has a stranglehold on the running back job. Garrison Hearst remains limited with inflammation in his knee, Mike Anderson did not distinguish himself in the opener, and rookie Tatum Bell is still out with a fractured finger. Griffin will have another opportunity on Sunday against the Bills to distance himself from the field, especially if Bell sits again

Can we start considering him Portis' heir now? Short of him stumbling this offseason, what kind of production can we expect. Where should he be drafted? It's starting to look like he'll be a decent No. 3 back??
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigGAME101 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:11 pm

thanks for the update my man, things continue to look good for griffin...i believe that he should post very solid numbers if he reamins healthy and produces consistantly. I think the main thing to consider is that he won't get the vast amount of TDs that you expect from a great fantasy back, as those will be vultured by anderson and maybe hearst in the red zone. However, he does have good speed, and could break down the field for some long runs...i would consider him a legit no.3 rb at this point, but things can unfortuanately change very fast in FF.

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby NeoRex23 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:14 pm

ATM it looks like he's going to be the starter and clear #1 in Denver. That said, and looking at the past of Denver's system producing excellent RB, he could be a steal in many drafts and develope into a very good #3, I personally would consider him to become a #2, if he gets the goalline carries as well.

Neo

3 WR C.Johnson/Horn/Coles/R.Wayne/M.Robinson
1 TE Pollard
1 K Stover
DEF Baltimore
NeoRex23
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Location: Universe - Sun System - 3rd Planet - Northern Hemisphere - Europe - Germany

Postby 34=Sweetness » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:20 pm

1300 yds, 10+ TDs. Huge pick this year IMO. Anyone in Denver with nice speed and moves should put up huge numbers.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Flux » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:20 pm

its hard to deny that the man looked very good against the 'Skins.

He was way down my RB list, but after seeing him play im moving him up over a lot those guys w/ question marks. I wouldnt take him in the 2nd rd by any means, but damn, he could be good

The worry of course is TDs and durability. It would be smart to handcuff him, but who the heck would take over?
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:23 pm

Flx why handcuff him, when hes probably going to be your #3 back? Thats a waste of a pick IMO.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Flux » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:29 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:Flx why handcuff him, when hes probably going to be your #3 back? Thats a waste of a pick IMO.

i kinda meant that if he was your #2, but it didnt read that way. I was sort of just was thinking out loud and figuring out who i would handcuff him to if i had to, and thats a huge mess
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:33 pm

I'd just like everyone to keep in mind that he played against the awful Redskins run defense. They make anyone look like a fantasy star.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Flux » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:40 pm

KingGhidra wrote:I'd just like everyone to keep in mind that he played against the awful Redskins run defense. They make anyone look like a fantasy star.

I thought of that to, and tried to bring myself back to reality, but then i looked at their schedule for next year (i know i know defenses can change)

KC
@JAX
SD
@TB*
CAR*
@OAK
@CIN
ATL
HOU
@NO
OAK
@SD
MIA*
KC
TEN

week 17 against IND (not relevant)

doesnt look like that terrible of a schedule, 3 very good D's but not a lot after that
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby 34=Sweetness » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:43 pm

6 games vs KC, SD, and OAK should = MASSIVE PRODUCTION!!!
Games against Atlanta, Houston, New Orleans and Cincinnati help also.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk