Lewis vs. James - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lewis vs. James

Moderator: Football Moderators

Lewis vs. James

Postby T-DIDDY » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:47 am

I've read a lot of good things about Edge this year. In a league that gives a point per reception, would anyone consider taking edge before Lewis???
T-DIDDY
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Warpigs » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:51 am

I would take Edge before Lewis even in a league that didn't utilize receptions in the scoring. Edge is in a contract year, is playing for pride and is ready to step into the upper echelon of backs.

Lewis was awesome last year, but take away his games against Cleveland, consider the fact that he is the only player on offense that any defense has to target (and can whip up on) and throw in the legal problems on top of all that, and he's one player I continue to avoid in all drafts.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby junkieboy » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:25 pm

I am avoiding Lewis as well. All the issues surrounding him are a bad signal. He will not come close to repeating his numbers from last year. Every 2000 yard rusher has had a huge drop off in their production the following year, whether it be injury, defenses keying in on them or simply the wear and tear from almost 400 carries, that stat alone has made me avoid him at all costs.

Edge on the other hand is primed for a huge year. As long as he stays healthy I see 1400 rushing 400 receicing and 16 TD's from him as attainable numbers. He put up solid stats last year and missed 3 games. He is head and shoulders above Lewis in my book.
junkieboy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby moochman » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:31 pm

The contract year and reception points gives the Edge the edge.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby VHawk15 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:05 pm

moochman wrote:The contract year and reception points gives the Edge the edge.

I think that Lewis' cocaine really gives Edge the edge, but the reception points definitely don't hurt.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby MadScott » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:28 pm

In your league, you definitely want to grab Edge over Lewis in your league. Simply put, Lewis doesn't factor into the passing game in Bal. as much as Edge does in Indy.

In generalities, I'm presented with the same conundrum in my upcoming draft. The Lewis trial scares the crap out of me. I do think if he plays he'll put up 1500 yards rushing, another 200-300 receiving and about 8-10 TDs, but I see Edge being able to put up 1400 yards rushing, 400 receiving and 8-10 TDs as well without legal issues. Throw in the fact that Moss more than likely will be on the board and that's a big pickle. I'm leaning towards Edge.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AsianChexMix » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:29 pm

Also, Lewis court date is November 1 I think.
AsianChexMix
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby atvjerryrice80 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:10 pm

id take edge in this situation
atvjerryrice80
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby IRON CHEF » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:59 pm

Warpigs wrote:I would take Edge before Lewis even in a league that didn't utilize receptions in the scoring. Edge is in a contract year, is playing for pride and is ready to step into the upper echelon of backs.

Lewis was awesome last year, but take away his games against Cleveland, consider the fact that he is the only player on offense that any defense has to target (and can whip up on) and throw in the legal problems on top of all that, and he's one player I continue to avoid in all drafts.

I echo these sentiments, I would take Edge over J Lew in this league and any other. Edge finished strong last year and appears to be set for a great year. I could definitely see him creeping into the upper echelon of backs. All the while Lewis will be focused on by defenses more, and will miss time due to the cocaine charges.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jumpman8828 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:03 am

VHawk15 wrote:
moochman wrote:The contract year and reception points gives the Edge the edge.

I think that Lewis' cocaine really gives Edge the edge, but the reception points definitely don't hurt.

I'm pretty sure cocaine gives Lewis a bit of an edge as well :-b
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk