Thomas Jones, Lee Suggs or Chris Brown? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thomas Jones, Lee Suggs or Chris Brown?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who's the better choice?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:53 pm

Lee Suggs
10%
Chris Brown
33%
Thomas Jones
58%

Total votes : 40

Postby Paladyr » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:16 pm

I'd take the highest talent you can get minus a QB. Then with your next pick, you might still be able to get jones, if not, grab tiki/westbrook.

I would definitely NOT go RB/WR/WR. Positional scarcity!!!
Last edited by Paladyr on Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 34=Sweetness » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:17 pm

Well depending on the WRs left, I think you could go that route. Id probably go with Bennett and Hines Ward. I think you are sitting pretty if you have those 3 (Priest/LT, Bennett and Ward) especially in a 14 teamer.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TheHeat24 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:29 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:TJones, then Brown - but I agree with KG - if thats all thats available for you in the 2nd rd there are gonna be some big name WRs or something else that you should go after instead.

Ya thats the strategy I would go with...

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bertfinsfan » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:54 pm

I think the second round is a little early for these RB's. This past weekend I got Chris Brown in the 9th round of a 10 team draft. THis is a money league that has been established for 5 years with only 2 new players. Even though this is a 14 team draft, I think you can get better value in the sencond round.
------------------------------
20 Team League
(2 seperate 10 team divisions with seperate drafts. Only during the playoffs teams will have same players)

QB: Daunte Culpepper, Jeff Garcia

RB: Shaun Alexander, Travis Henry,
Chris Brown, Antowain Smith,
Correll Buckhalter, Sammy Morris

WR: Joe Horn, Javon Walker,
Marty Booker, Isaac Bruce,
Ashley Lelie, Brandon LLoyd,
Drew Bennett, Dante Hall

TE: Randy McMichael, Daniel Graham

K: Josh Brown

DEF: Tampa Bay
bertfinsfan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:31 pm

I think you have to go with one WR and one RB and likely in THAT order. the guy right behind you isnt going to take 2 of those RB's so take the best WR and he may make your decision for you as to which RB. I think(late 2nd round early 3rdround ) is too early for ANY of them myself. However by the time you get to pick again they are almost sure to be long gone so again i have to go with WR and then RB. Under your scenario you should still be able to get a hell of a good WR at that spot. Not moss,Harrison,Owens level, but one notch below them(moulds,Ward,C.Johnson) level.

good luck

INKcogKNEEdough
"THERE WAS SHRINKAGE!!!!!" - George costanza
INKcogKNEEdough
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DraftDodger » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:12 pm

1. Lee Suggs - Far and away will blow the other two guys away. He needs to stay healthy (which has to be a concern when a guy comes into the league already broken) but he was an NFL starter the day he was drafted. This guy will give the Dawg Pound something to get excited about again. Lord knows it's been a long wait.

2. Chris Brown - Any young RB can achieve in the Titans offense; McNair will keep defenses honest with his passing & scrambling. That said, I don't think the coaches are going to put the burden of winning on his shoulders. He'll share time with A. Smith, who is a legit NFL starter who needs to work on his field of vision, and both backs will be secondary to the passing game.

3. Thomas Jones -- a crappy player on a crappy team. How long does it take coaches and fans to realize that some guy's a bust? It will be a miracle if he can win and hold the starting job, and if he does so it's more of a knock on A-Train than it is a sign that Jones is good. Corey Dillon started for a team just as bad (if not worse) than Jones did, and Dillon produced. I don't know if Jones's problem is nagging injuries, a lack of heart, or a poor attitude, but I don't see him changing his ways anytime soon. Jones is right behing Ricky Williams on my draft chart, LOL.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Paladyr » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:32 pm

DraftDodger wrote:3. Thomas Jones -- a crappy player on a crappy team. How long does it take coaches and fans to realize that some guy's a bust? It will be a miracle if he can win and hold the starting job, and if he does so it's more of a knock on A-Train than it is a sign that Jones is good. Corey Dillon started for a team just as bad (if not worse) than Jones did, and Dillon produced. I don't know if Jones's problem is nagging injuries, a lack of heart, or a poor attitude, but I don't see him changing his ways anytime soon. Jones is right behing Ricky Williams on my draft chart, LOL.

I live in cinci, and I never considered us to be as bad as arizona... Seems like even though we used to be a bad team our offense was never the problem, both running and passing. Arizona on the other hand sucked on offense AND defense, and I don't think that was all TJ's fault. There was the year D. Boston exploded though. I don't know...

I honestly think TJ will do better this year. Chicago's offense isn't that great, but Booker is a good WR so at least there is someone there to compliment TJ.

Plus TJ was never really given the starting role IIRC. Dillon was always the man.
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:01 pm

DraftDodger wrote:3. Thomas Jones -- a crappy player on a crappy team. How long does it take coaches and fans to realize that some guy's a bust? It will be a miracle if he can win and hold the starting job, and if he does so it's more of a knock on A-Train than it is a sign that Jones is good. Corey Dillon started for a team just as bad (if not worse) than Jones did, and Dillon produced. I don't know if Jones's problem is nagging injuries, a lack of heart, or a poor attitude, but I don't see him changing his ways anytime soon. Jones is right behing Ricky Williams on my draft chart, LOL.

Thank you!

Plus TJ was never really given the starting role IIRC. Dillon was always the man.

What does that say about TJ? He was never able to beat out anyone for a true starter's role.

For all the talk about TJ being on a bad team and never having a good opportunity, look at it from a different angle. The Cardinals were bad because they had players like TJ. He never gave them a glimmer of hope the way Dillon did, or Tomlinson does or any number of backs on bad teams over the years.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Are you sure these are going to be your only choices?

I would much rather have a Bennett, Barber, Staley, Martin, etc. than anyone you mentioned here. In a yardage heavy league you gotta go with the proven veteran guys. No need to take a risk on someone that is a possible "feature back" homerun. You'll end up neck deep in Thomas Jones stew IMO.

If you can't get a reliable RB at this spot, I would much rather grab two talented WRs and draft a lot of risky RBs later.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Crafty » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:17 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Are you sure these are going to be your only choices? I would much rather have a Bennett, Barber, Staley, Martin, etc. than anyone you mentioned here.

I'd definitely take Bennett if he's there at 27, and there is a good chance of that in this (bush) league. But Barber I won't touch, Staley I have ranked below these dudes, and Martin I got burned on last year. He's no number 2.

It all depends on who's there. If Bennett's there, I'm taking him. If not, but say, C. Johnson and Hines Ward are there for my top two receivers, I'm taking them and gambling on TJ Duckett, Quentin Griffin or the like for my number 2. But it would take having two top-tier receivers for me to forgo a reasonable rb in the third.
Crafty
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk