auto-draft strategy help - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

auto-draft strategy help

Moderator: Football Moderators

auto-draft strategy help

Postby enderwiggin » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:29 am

Due to a death in the family, I will not be able to do my upcoming draft. I will have to resort to preranking my players for an auto-draft :~( :~( .

Does anybody have a good strategy to make the auto draft software get your sleepers? The draft uses IDPs, so it will be even more difficult! I could really use some help here!

Thanks,
Ender
aka Bloody Nipples for baseball
enderwiggin
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football
Location: the above isnt from a challenge; i'm just embarrassed.

Auto Sleep

Postby DraftDodger » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:17 am

Something that's worked well for me in the past is to force the selection of a particular position. Since the auto drafter tries to fill out your starting roster first, then goes back and grabs your backups afterwards, if you want to stock up on RBs or WRs you can simply put a long list of one or the other at the beginning of your draft. Start your draft list with every RB that you "would" draft, for example, and later in the draft the autodrafter will grab as many of those 'sleeper' RBs as it can find available. It makes the most sense to do this with RBs unless your league favors WRs by allowing you to start 3-4.

I don't think you can do anything to get the software to postpone filling out your starting roster first---if I"m wrong I hope someone will correct me and explain how to do it.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby CptnCalculator » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:36 am

I read (on this forum) that you may be able to get the computer to draft backups of a certain position before all your starters by excluding all players of a certain position.

For instance, in my Yahoo autopick draft coming up, I have excluded all TE's, K's, and DEF's from my personal rankings so that the computer will fill my QB's, RB's and WR's.

The downside of this, of course, is that I will have to scour the waiver wire to pick up my TE, K, and DEF once the draft is done.

Not sure if this has been tested 100% or not though, so YMMV.
CptnCalculator Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby enderwiggin » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:50 pm

thanks, thats helpful. One thing I am worried about is the IDPs. I have no idea how the computer will draft them. Any ideas about that?
aka Bloody Nipples for baseball
enderwiggin
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Location: the above isnt from a challenge; i'm just embarrassed.

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:05 pm

We did a Yahoo autodraft which I was bummed about but, except for WR, I got a bunch of guys I was after, w/ pick 10/14. Culpepper, Chris Brown, Jamal Lewis, Van Der Jagt. As far as IDP, I ended up w/ Urlacher and Dat Nguyen which are also ok for that position.

All I did to get them is remove guys I did NOT want, like Faulk, Fred Taylor, etc. from my list. Then I went down and bumped up guys I wanted a few spots. Then, after getting most of the guys in the offensive positions I wanted listed, put the K, Def and IDP last. They were still quite a bit higher than the people who blew off ranking players or those who copied rankings out of a source. I am pretty sure that that's how I got them. Unfortunately, I also got Shipp and Boston, who are both down. I was ok on Boston as I'd suspected he had some potential to finally get himself going but now am very nervous re McCardell's fate and concerned I may be stuck w/ him if he holds out!!
AcidRock23
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:00 pm

CptnCalculator wrote:I read (on this forum) that you may be able to get the computer to draft backups of a certain position before all your starters by excluding all players of a certain position.

I never thought about that...this could be very helpful. I am once again doing my autopick Yahoo league with friends that won't get all together to do a live draft.

But, I really would like to draft at least one TE, K, and D...as long as they are "good." Of course, they could flop, but at least I'll have one to start with so I don't have to scrounge. So, do you think it would be wise to just rank the first "x" people you want at those positions? If I get one of the people I want, great...and then everyone else should be taken so I can't get a backup. If not, then there's no chance I can get any other player, and so I would start getting reserves.

The thing I really am trying to avoid is getting a 2nd TE, kicker, and defense...I always end up chucking them anyway, so I might as well use those spots for decent sleepers and then toss whoever I don't want.

(and I understand this could go in the Draft Forum, but it's still here) :-)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk