Who I'm Drafting on August 22nd.....and why? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who I'm Drafting on August 22nd.....and why?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is you top rated Fantasy RB?

Clinton Portis
13%
Jamal Lewis
No votes
Priest Holmes
38%
Other
50%

Total votes : 8

Who I'm Drafting on August 22nd.....and why?

Postby quinbrave2 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:17 am

I am the commissioner of an 8 team league on yahoo....I have the 3rd pick in the draft. I'm picking Clinton Portis (RB-WSH). I plan to then select Tony Gonzalez (TE-KC) with my 2nd round pick at 14 due to the lack of depth at that position. I also hope this will make some select tight ends such as Heap, Winslow in this round to make sure they get a good one. I then want to either select Torry Holt (WR-STL) or Trent Green (QB-KC) in the 3rd round depending on who's available. If all goes well I can steal the Baltimore Ravens Defense in the 4th round and get Jeff Wilkins (K-STL) later in the draft.....any thoughts?
quinbrave2
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who I'm Drafting on August 22nd.....and why?

Postby aussieboy » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:20 am

quinbrave2 wrote:I am the commissioner of an 8 team league on yahoo....I have the 3rd pick in the draft. I'm picking Clinton Portis (RB-WSH). I plan to then select Tony Gonzalez (TE-KC) with my 2nd round pick at 14 due to the lack of depth at that position. I also hope this will make some select tight ends such as Heap, Winslow in this round to make sure they get a good one. I then want to either select Torry Holt (WR-STL) or Trent Green (QB-KC) in the 3rd round depending on who's available. If all goes well I can steal the Baltimore Ravens Defense in the 4th round and get Jeff Wilkins (K-STL) later in the draft.....any thoughts?

Interesting strategy. I think your taking TGonz too early. Im pretty sure you will get him with you 3rd round pick. Instead spend ur 2nd pick on a top WR or another RB. Noone will take Heap, Shockey inthe 2nd just because u took TGonz there. Also i think you could wait at least two to three rounds if you wanted Green. id spend ur fourth rounder on a WR.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:24 am

first of all welcome to the cafe. second of all, please completely scrap everything you just said. Portis can be considered #3 overall, but think about deuce and ahman. in an 8 team league, you can get another very solid rb with ur second rounder, (barlow, dilloni). then take culpepper or possibly gonzo if you really want him, thought i think its too soon.. THE RAVENS DEFENSE IN THE 4TH IS NOT A STEAL. in an 8 teamer, they should fall past the 10th, and if they dont, its someone elses mistake. the general rule of thumb is 2 rbs in the first 3 rounds. also, trent green should be around in the 6th, not the third. if he goes ahead of you and you didnt take cpepp, get penny or brady in the 6th or 7th. now this is all without seeing your scroing system, but i assume its not 2 weird. my last iece of advice, soak up all the info from this website in the next two weeks.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wolverine » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:01 am

You need to revisit where certain players should be valued. Why take Gonzalez in the second when there is a great chance you can get him in the 3rd? Holt won't be there in the 3rd. Ravens D in the 4th just doesn't make sense whatsoever.
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby atvjerryrice80 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:33 am

you should take green as the 3rd pick then come back with barlow. then take a WR such as ward or TO, then when it comes back take the best available person. i dont take TE's DEF and K's till the last rounds
atvjerryrice80
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Warpigs » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:44 am

Ahman Green is the best possible third pick out there. He has the least number of question marks around him. Portis has a new team, Deuce had problems scoring last year, J.Lewis has a court hearing in the middle of the season, etc. Green had more yardage last year than Priest Holmes, more TDs than JLewis (and even LT2, I think). He's the total package and will continue to improve since he's in the prime of his career. Go second RB in the wraparound unless Moss or Harrison is there. I wouldn't draft Tony G until the fourth round. YOu know you're getting him at value then -- any earlier and you're wasting a draft pick. IF you miss out on him, it's not the end of the world. Heap should have a fine season. Winslow will be OK, too.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Return to Football Talk