Boston intends to return in November! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Boston intends to return in November!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Boston intends to return in November!

Postby Buckychudd » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:37 am

Not that I think it will actually happen....

Aug 12, 10:15 PM

Boston intends to play this year

Miami receiver eyes November

BY CARL KOTALA
FLORIDA TODAY

David Boston may not be finished for the season, after all.

The Miami Dolphins' star receiver has told family members he intends to play for this season despite sustaining a torn patella tendon last Friday.

"He has no intentions of being out for the season," said Boston's brother, Byron Boston Jr. "He has set a date in his mind where he thinks he'll be prepared to go."

Boston, who had surgery Monday, has been through this type of injury before. In 2002, he tore the patellar tendon in his right knee after getting hit by the facemask of a San Francisco defender and had surgery on Nov. 20. He missed the final eight games of the season, but was able to work out in February for San Diego, the team he signed a seven-year, $47.4 million free-agent contract with.

Nearly a year later, Miami acquired Boston in a trade with the Chargers for a conditional sixth-round pick with the idea he would bolster their passing attack lining up opposite Chris Chambers. Boston seemed to be adjusting to the Dolphins offense well and even dominated a morning practice against the Houston Texans last Friday.

That afternoon, while running a deep route, Boston's left knee buckled. An MRI exam revealed the tear and later that night coach Dave Wannstedt issued a press release saying Boston would have season-ending surgery.

"He heals fast and he rehabs fast. Plus, this is an injury he's familiar with, so he knows how to rehab it," said David's father, Byron Boston. "He has five weeks before the first game, so he'll have a pretty good idea about how things are going before they kick off the first week."

If things go well, Byron Jr. said his brother's targeted return date would be mid-November, somewhere around Week 10 when the Dolphins are in their bye week. That would be roughly three months after the surgery.

Should that be the case, it's conceivable Miami would have Boston back for the final seven games of the season.

"His words were, 'It will be money time. It will be time to make that run for the playoffs, the second half of the season,' " Bryon Jr. said. "He's just really striving to get back at that point."

Following Boston's injury, it was reported he had been cleared to practice in the afternoon by team doctors despite having tendinitis in his left knee. Boston's father said his son "basically made the decision to go ahead and give it a shot," and a statement released by the player's agent, Mitch Frankel, absolved the team of any blame.

Byron Boston reported his son was in good spirits and upbeat about working his way back to the team. The key, the elder Boston said, will be for David to make sure the tendon is properly healed before he begins any type of rehabilitation work.

For an offense that was already dealing with the loss of former Pro Bowl running back Ricky Williams to retirement, getting a player like Boston back in the middle of the season could be a big boost, depending on how effective he is.

"Just based on the previous surgery, when he makes up his mind, he'll do it," Byron Jr. said. "He likes to prove people wrong."

Contact Kotala at 242-3692 or mailto:ckotala@flatoday.net
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby goleafsgo96 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:16 am

This would be interesting, HEs worth a midseason pickup if this has any truth to it.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:48 am

He's just going to injure himself even worse.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Dolphins

Postby Bears_Fan » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:53 am

Who cares. Besides Boston's personal problems this team my not even be in the playoff hunt by that time.
Beware of Booker with the Grossman
Bears_Fan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: Dolphins

Postby goleafsgo96 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:01 pm

Bears_Fan wrote:Who cares. Besides Boston's personal problems this team my not even be in the playoff hunt by that time.

This does matter fantasy wise, this is the fantasy football talk...
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rodge » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:11 pm

I think that Boston may be worth a mid-season pickup if he comes back and he can actually run and take a hit. However, I think that it would be foolish to draft Boston to have him sit on your bench for over half the season. One of the so-called experts did this in the ESPN mock draft yesterday; what a waste.
"I won't get you sixty, but I'll get you ten sixes."
~Brian Piccolo
Rodge
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BigMusky » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:13 pm

if you have a IR spot it might make sense, otherwise I agree.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:31 pm

Thats cute. But realistically I cant see him coming back with a torn patella tendon. You know what happens if he tears the others? His kneecap falls to his ankle. Ow. This is an injury that needs time to heal and it takes longer than half the season.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby madmike » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:39 pm

He's dreaming.
-Mad Mike
madmike
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Flux » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:56 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead the lame Michigan lover wrote:He's just going to injure himself even worse.

exactly. Why rush back if you already tore the thing twice.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk