Cardinals fan...err fans.....hot news.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cardinals fan...err fans.....hot news....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cardinals fan...err fans.....hot news....

Postby Homeless » Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:42 am

Despite being $36 million under the salary cap, the Cardinals elected not to foist their franchise tag on either Jake Plummer or David Boston. In Plummer's case, it's hardly shocking. Plummer had previously been told that if he were to stay in Arizona he would need to battle second-year player Josh McCown for the job. The decision not to franchise Boston, however, is more surprising. Prior to last year's season-ending knee and foot injuries, Boston was considered an elite receiver.

Our View
By most accounts, Plummer's next stop is Denver, although his agent will probably try to get other teams into the bidding. Boston makes sense for a few teams with extra cap space, including Philadelphia, Carolina, Baltimore, Dallas, Houston, and Tennessee

Plummer, sure we all new that , but Boston too.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby JayM09 » Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:22 am

wow, interesting news. thanks for the news homey ;-D

who knows, maybe boston will end up in atlanta now, since price got tagged. hhmmmmm.........
JayM09
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fntsyrookie » Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:51 am

Yeah pretty intresting. It looks like both Plummer and Boston are gonna be on the move...stay tuned..
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Roseman » Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:25 am

Thanks for the info!!

Looks like things in Zona are going to look a lot different in 03

If Boston moves he can for sure help out another team and rack up huge #s thats assuming that he is healthy and he can keep his attitude in check!!!
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby Indy Dragons » Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:03 pm

Wow! Didn't tag either one! The Cardinals certainly don't want to try to win! OR the Owner is extremely cheap - and I think we know the answer to this one!
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby kashikis » Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:21 pm

when i first read this i was thinking that the Cards made a mistake but then i realized that they have one of the youngest teams in the league and their top 2 salary guys where FA this year. Plummer didnt want to compete for his job so they canned him for McNown. No big deal there really, Plummer would have been nice but isnt worthy of a franchise tag and someone would probably out-bid them on the transitional tag as well. And as for Boston this guy is another Moss. Everyone always says "id cut moss for being a punk". well the cards DID! he had a history of problems and slacked off last year even though he had an injury. Mad props to them for havin the balls to do it too!

I'm sure they are well under the cap by this point since they let both players go so it allows them to put together a solid young team and let them grow together. so really this may be the best thing for the ailing Cards!
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DUKE » Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:15 pm

You may be right Kash. This could be an example of addition by subtraction. If they use that money in other areas, then it could turn out to be a positive move by the Cards.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Petey » Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:58 pm

I like this move too. Cutting their losses and moving on to try again. They'll probably have more money available than any other team and can get who they truly want. Personally, I think Shipp has a chance to be the next Priest Holmes if he continues to develop from last year. Maybe get some help at OL (which they are young and pretty good already) and Defense, then maybe get a new FA Qb in 2004. They might still not be great, but at least they're not keeping the crappy status quo.
Petey
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Peanuts » Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:08 pm

Could the Boston injury be more seroius? Anyone with news?
Peanuts
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby HubbaBubba » Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:34 pm

I don't think the injury issue is at all a part of this decision. Kash is on target. It's more likely the off-field issues are more serious than we know.
HubbaBubba
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Next

Return to Football Talk