Lions preseason game one thoughts - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Lions preseason game one thoughts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Lions preseason game one thoughts

Postby moochman » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:31 am

Thoughts after x-game 1:
Artoise Pinner has vulture written all over him. He looks to have just enough elusiveness and strength to get those tough red zone yards. I didn't see the speed needed to go to the outside or break away, but it is early. He didn't embarrass himself out there, which is more than can be said about Shawn Bryson.

Talk in camp was that Bryson looked great and may lead the Lion RBs in receptions. In the game, however, he looked slow and indecisive. The O-line didn't help him any, but his tip-toeing led to many easy tackles. Olandis Gary looked better than Bryson in that he hit the holes at speed, but he showed no elusiveness and will most likely be a non-factor. Avon Colbourne again showed some elusiveness like he did last year in preseason. He needs to learn to do that when it counts and he may make a NFL roster.

At QB Harrington did okay, not making any big mistakes. He looked very nice in rolling out and finding Fitzsimmons in the end zone for a TD after the original receiver was covered. He locked in on Rogers which could hurt him if he doesn't look off of him, and he threw behind him on 2 of 3 passes. The last pass would have been an easy TD if he hits him in stride. McMahon looked good but still needs lots of work as his accuracy and decision making are pretty erratic.

The receiving corps was Rogers and Fitzsimmons. Both looked very good and Rogers looked like a star in the making. No other receivers distingushed themselves, and Williams didn't get a look for the quarter he was in. He did seem to break open deep once, but Joey tossed it to Rogers for a shorter gain. Fitzsimmons could be a TE sleeper as he was their receiving TE at the end of last year and was used that way tonight.

Hanson looked to be in mid-season shape, nailing a 46 yard FG with room to spare.
The Lions D was disappointing. They didn't stop the run or provide any pass rush until the 4th quarter. Kalimba Edwards who was to supply the rush from the end looks to be a bust. He is too small to stop the run and didn't pressure the QB.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:25 pm

great post mooch. You should look into covering the Lions as a team correspondant on ESPN. Seriously, your analysis is much better than anything they have on there currently.

Hopefully KE just needs more gametime experience because without a passrush the Lion's D is gonna struggle again.

Thanks again for the insight
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Detroit Lions