5 for zero yards... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

5 for zero yards...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bungle613 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:15 pm

I still am really liking the Davenport, Driver or Ferguson for Ogunleye and a pick.

Helps both teams alot. The wrench in all this is the rumour of Edge in Miami next year. They won't give up Ogunleye when they fell that they have a legit shot at landing Edge next year.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Monty » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:20 pm

IRON CHEF wrote:Do you think Minor is a 1000 yd, 5 TD back this year?

No, because IMO he wont be starting
- AKA Monty in the FBC (bet you didn't see that one comin')
Monty
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:30 pm

Monty wrote:
IRON CHEF wrote:Do you think Minor is a 1000 yd, 5 TD back this year?

No, because IMO he wont be starting

It appears that the Phins are sticking with him, I would actually be a tad surprised if they made a move. Unless Minor continues to dissapoint, I don't expect Miami to attempt to acquire a replacement.

So in the event he does start, can he muster respectable totals?

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bungle613 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:37 pm

I wouldn't think so.

1) A horrible line that even gave Ricky nightmares.

2) Minor is not durable. Very high injury risk

3) Will most likely get spelled by Morris or maybe even Henry.

4) The guy just isn't very good. Is not an NFL calibre rb.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:53 pm

bungle613 wrote:I wouldn't think so.

1) A horrible line that even gave Ricky nightmares.

The line is better than it was last year, they had additions of Vernon Carey, Jeno James, John St Clair all of whom are improvements.

2) Minor is not durable. Very high injury risk

He hasnt missed a game in the NFL, how is he a high injury risk? His size 5'10 and 205 isnt much different than most backs in the NFL

3) Will most likely get spelled by Morris or maybe even Henry.

There really arent any RBs that dont get spelled during a game. Nobody is expecting Minor to get 400 carries, getting spelled is normal in the NFL

4) The guy just isn't very good. Is not an NFL calibre rb.

How is he not very good? He hasnt even had a chance to prove himself. I dont know if he can carry the load or not, but how is that different than say Q. Griffin, or KJ, or TJ, or C. Brown or whoever else? He was a 3rd rd pick, i dont think that equates to not being very good

What i do know is that Minor has a career average of 4.5 ypc behind that same O-line that Ricky struggled with. He can catch the ball well, as he put up 29 receptions in 2001 w/ very limited playing time.

The kind of RB Minor is may be better for MIA's line than the power back. The line does have holes, there is no denying that, but Minor would be able to reverse angles and get to the outside quicker than Ricky could. He is also a better receiver, so when the line breaks down Fiedler or AJ can look to him to dump it off to.

There were reports earlier that Wanstedt was going to give Minor 20 or so touches a game. If he holds true to that and gives Minor enough of a chance to show himself, I easily could see 900 or so yards rushing and another 400 receiving with 5-7 TDs thrown in there. 1300 total yards isnt out of the question at all IMO, thats only 56 yds rushing a game and 25 receiving. Cant at all complain about that as a #3 RB with potential to be a #2.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:37 pm

Hey Flux, how are ya today?

1) Bettering a horrible line may not mean much. It is still a pathetic offensive line.

2) He has never played a game to miss. Only 4-6 carries tops and special teams. The only game I saw him in he got knocked out of. Nothing serious but was still taken out and then was when Ricky was hurt worse. Ricky came back, Travis did not.

3) I realize every back gets spelled. My point is that I think it will be on a more regular basis than most backs.

4) Every NFL player has the chance to prove themselves. Training camp, pre season, the opportunities you get during games. He was in Miami before Ricky, if he had shown anything they wouldn't have mortgaged the farm on the hippie.

We'll see. I could be wrong. Not the first time, not the last. Right now, I don't think I am.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby hawksfan896 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:08 pm

I think Minor's biggest problem right now is that his name isn't Ricky Williams. Everyone's so up at arms about Ricky that Minor is the easy target for frustration. It's like following the Beatles onstage. I think Minor can be an adequate back, but will be as good as Ricky Williams? Of course not. However, I don't see Minor being the big problem. Miami has much bigger fish to fry (pardon the pun) than the RB situation...and remember, they struggled to make the playoffs with Ricky. From a purely fantasy prospective, I don't think Minor would be too bad of a guy to have around...could even be a downright sleeper if he turns out to be even average. You can't just start screaming "he sucks" without him really giving him a chance.
"When I was a kid I thought I was going to be the starting centerfielder for the Boston Red Sox. Life sucks, get a f___ing helmet." --Dennis Leary
hawksfan896
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Postby Flux » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:40 am

bungle613 wrote:Hey Flux, how are ya today?

Im fine how are you doing? ;-)

1) Bettering a horrible line may not mean much. It is still a pathetic offensive line.

I think it may be premature to say its pathetic, but it is still lacking. There has only been 1 preseason game, so who knows how they really look, and I personally didnt see the game so its hard to comment on that.

However good the line is should not reflect negatively on T. Minor. Who is to say if they bring in someone else (i know you like Najeh) that he would fair any better? If the line is so sad it may just be a lost cause and they shouldnt waste a player/pick in a trade

2) He has never played a game to miss. Only 4-6 carries tops and special teams. The only game I saw him in he got knocked out of. Nothing serious but was still taken out and then was when Ricky was hurt worse. Ricky came back, Travis did not.

He still didnt miss the next game, and I didnt see the game you are referring to, but if he is only getting 4-6 carries a game, maybe he wasnt taken out b/c of an injury, but he just wasnt in the game plan (but like i said I didnt see the game). Every player gets little injuries, and you cant say that it was T. Minors decision to not go back in, the coaching staff could have just held him out.

And the fact he has never played a game doesnt make him injury prone

3) I realize every back gets spelled. My point is that I think it will be on a more regular basis than most backs.

Which may or may not be true, but there were reports of him getting 20 or more touches a game. D. Davis is supposedly only going to get 15-20. S. Davis is supposed to split it 50/50 or 60/40 w/ Foster, Henry could lose many carries to McGahee, then you also have Westbrook/Buckhalter, CMart/Jordan, Bennett/O. Smith, etc. All of these guys are worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick, and im really not convinced that Minor cant be as good as some of these players. Would I take him before all of them? absolutely not, but he still could have a decent year.

4) Every NFL player has the chance to prove themselves. Training camp, pre season, the opportunities you get during games. He was in Miami before Ricky, if he had shown anything they wouldn't have mortgaged the farm on the hippie.

T. Henry has been a top 10 RB for a few years and yet they drafted McGahee in the 1st round. Every year MIN drafts another RB when they already have more than 1 good one.

They did put a lot of faith in Ricky and for the most part it panned out. They had a couple 10 win seasons and Ricky was a big part of it. Granted they missed the playoffs, but that was more due to a very tough division than lack of Ricky's play. When they brought in Ricky Minor had just finished his rookie year. He never really got the opportunity to play, not b/c of lack of skill, but b/c he was a rookie and Norv Turner likes to have a power back instead of a scat back. Ricky obviously filled that need better than Minor, so they went after him.

Im not at all saying Minor is better or even close to being equal to Ricky skillwise, but I think he hasnt had a fair shake at it yet. He was looking really good in camp right after Ricky retired. The only thing his skills are currently being based on is how he faired against the #1 run defense from last year while only getting 5 carries, to me that doesnt seem very fair to him.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk