Will Marshall Faulk have a Priest Holmes season? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Will Marshall Faulk have a Priest Holmes season?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby ABC » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:15 am

IMO:

I also think that Faulk is a solid #2 that can put up #1 type #'s.

People keep saying that he's injury prone. Any nfl player can hurt themselves at any time. look at Boldin and boston!! they hurt themselves just stretching and running in practice.

yes, faulk has missed time, but when he plays he's solid. I agree that with his age and knee problems, you need ot make sure you have a back-up, but i think that's with any player.

heck if any of the top rb's gone down, that owners season could be screwed.

i'm not sure i'd say he's gonna have a 20 plus td season, but he's no scrub!!

i think the main danger to faulk not being productive is not faulk but martz. he's faulks worst enemy the way he sometimes game plans for him. ha ha ha!!
ABC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Warpigs » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:28 am

It all goes back to our most recent Great Debates topic (http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... .php?f=106) with taking risks.

As I tried to convey in my arguement, taking risks is a key part of winning in fantasy football, as long as you have solid depth.

I would have no problem drafting Marshall late in the second round (where he's going more and more lately), as long as I can grab Steven Jackson later in the draft. I'd also commit fifth and sixth round selections to building solid depth at my RB position -- going after Suggs, QGriffin, etc. At that point, you ride Marshall as much as possible -- but are more than stocked to fill in for him if/when he goes down.

Saying outright that you won't draft Marshall is a bad mistake if you truly want to win your league. As far as I'm concerned, no player is undraftable if you can get him at the right value point and can surround him with quality depth.

For example, I'm really down on Vick's chances this year, but if he falls far enough, I'll snag him and either trade him or ride him when I can -- while still getting solid depth around him.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby ForeverBlue » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:18 am

I'd flip the statement around and say that Holmes will have a Faulk type of year. Meaning that he will miss about 4 games due to injuries. Anyone else see this coming?
ForeverBlue
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:38 am

KingGhidra wrote:I guess I'm the only one here who will say, "YES ABSOLUTELY, he will have a Priest Holmes like season. Priest Holmes 2000 looks about right."

Interesting ... I was gonna say Faulk already had a Priest Holmes season - it came in 2000. I believe Marshall still has the upside to rate a No. 2, but only if you can handcuff Jackson or grab a REAL solid No. 3.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:44 am

If you get Marshall, you must get a good number 3, because your #3 will be playing 4 games minimum. Ill say Marshall misses at least 3 games to his chronic knee problems and 1 to the bye week.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:27 pm

The King Ghidra sports book is now open for business. The over/under for Faulk's games started is 9.

:-b
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Superman in Training » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:37 pm

I got one hundy on under
Superman in Training
Head Coach
Head Coach

Web Supporter

Postby MadScott » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:31 pm

Emmitt Smith: 4 carries 22 yards in the first pre-season game. He's about to tear it up this season.

Damn, you are going to make this a self fulfilling prophecy aren't you? LOL

I'm a believer that the STL RB position is a top 10 spot, but only by committee. If you get Faulk, you need Jackson at a minimum in order to come out on the deal.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Will Marshall Faulk have a Priest Holmes season?

Postby 9er Fan » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:42 pm

GoalLineExtravaganza wrote:you telling me that he has fallen out of the top tier of running backs that quickly.

He hasn't performed like a top-tier back since the 2001 season and is coming off his 2nd offseason knee surgery in as many years... how much time do you want to give him? Can you say Terrell Davis?
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby IRON CHEF » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:08 am

As far as I'm concerned, no player is undraftable if you can get him at the right value point and can surround him with quality depth.

Warpigs I am so glad somebody came out and said this.

Whenever I see avoid lists I think to myself that they are flawed, because if you are able to get someone for the right value they are worth drafting.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk