Embattled QBs and Mental Health Patients - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Embattled QBs and Mental Health Patients

Moderator: Football Moderators

Embattled QBs and Mental Health Patients

Postby Wesley Walker » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:44 pm

1. I had this topic idea after reading comments by KingGhidra and Canadian_Cheesehead on QBs who won't finish the season as their team's starter (for reasons other than injury). I think this is worth a thread of its own.

2. Sort of related is the topic of players who will be busted, depressed, who will hold out for more money, who will be supended, or are otherwise potential mental health patients. William Green or Koren Robinson from last season -- these two come to mind because I drafted them. Duce Staley held out last year if memory serves, and look at the crap season he had. Keenan McCardell this season?

1. a.
Of the 32 projected starting QBs for this season, here are the ones I doubt will make it through the season as their respective team's starter:

Rex Grossman -- which is scarey, because who else is there?
Vinny T -- But I think it's the Tuna's plan for VT to be supplanted.
Jay Fiedler -- It may a leap to call him the projected starter even.
Kurt Warner -- Manning the Younger should get his chance unless Warner is as unstoppable as his old self (highly unlikely in NY).
Tim Rattay -- Bay Area fans will be missing Mariucci if not Garcia.
Brunell/Ramsey -- Whichever.

There are sure to be more (like Josh McCown possibly), but in many cases there's no serviceable 2nd option (like in Arizona).

2. a.
Aside from William Green, Koren Robinson, and Keenan McCardell, the following guys present big risks to go with their upsides:

Jamal Lewis -- Will he or will he not miss time with an ongoing trial? In any case, not good.

Randy Moss -- Has shown signs of maturation, but given his history of running over old ladies...

Terrell Owens -- Hopefully things gel in Philly.

Corey Dillon -- Always the possibility that he'll decide he's finished with New England if things don't go his way.

Kellen Winslow -- Like Shockey of last season, someone needs to tell the full-of-himself Winslow that he's just a TE, not a circus ringmaster.

Keyshaun -- I hope Tuna knows what he's getting into.

Shockey -- See above.

Vanderjagt -- Peyton's team, not his.

And now for the grand finale, Kurt Warner, who makes both lists:

Warner's success must have been 99% mental. He's had his injury problems, sure, and Faulk's struggles effected the passing game, sure, but Warner has always had the canon and the receivers but just couldn't do anything last year. What he needs is the confidence to huck the ball downfield without inhibition. Only with that confidence can he approach his past numbers. It will be difficult but not impossible for him to achieve such confidence in New York.

Anyone care to offer there own takes on these players or offer some other players for either list?
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:48 pm

Rex Grossman will not be replaced. Hes looked good in camp and preseason and I feel he will have a solid year for the Bears. Certainly better then Johnathan Quinn or Craig Krenzel. (His backups)
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby treadstone » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:39 am

Ya I dont understand why possibly Grossman would lose his job other than injury?
treadstone
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby IRON CHEF » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:44 am

Vanderjagt, a risk?

I just find this to be a very strange thing to say, and particularly for the reason you stated. Please explain to me what you mean, I must be missing something.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cooleyhigh » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:18 am

1) the sd qb will be replaced by LT as the chargers seek to cut costs and eliminate the middleman. After consecutive wins with only 10 players the front office phases out WR's as well :-b

But seriously Brees or whoever will be replaced by Flutie or some other poor excuse.

Joey Harrington is replaced by McMahon (sp?)

2) As for headcases I think Antonio Bryant is heading down that road. :~(

Winslow also appears to be well on his way.

McNabb will offer to buy TO dinner for making a game winning catch. Owens calls him gay in a press conference.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby arrbez » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:49 am

IRON CHEF wrote:

Vanderjagt, a risk?

I just find this to be a very strange thing to say, and particularly for the reason you stated. Please explain to me what you mean, I must be missing something.

haha, yeah, maybe vanderjagt wants to battle it out with manning for the QB position this year? could be he's tired of being the best kicker in the game
It doesn't need to be in good taste, so long as it tastes good
arrbez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: Embattled QBs and Mental Health Patients

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:08 am

Wesley Walker wrote:2. Sort of related is the topic of players who will be busted, depressed, who will hold out for more money, who will be supended, or are otherwise potential mental health patients. William Green or Koren Robinson from last season -- these two come to mind because I drafted them. Duce Staley held out last year if memory serves, and look at the crap season he had. Keenan McCardell this season?

2. a.
Aside from William Green, Koren Robinson, and Keenan McCardell, the following guys present big risks to go with their upsides:

Jamal Lewis -- Will he or will he not miss time with an ongoing trial? In any case, not good.

Randy Moss -- Has shown signs of maturation, but given his history of running over old ladies...

Terrell Owens -- Hopefully things gel in Philly.

Corey Dillon -- Always the possibility that he'll decide he's finished with New England if things don't go his way.

Kellen Winslow -- Like Shockey of last season, someone needs to tell the full-of-himself Winslow that he's just a TE, not a circus ringmaster.

Keyshaun -- I hope Tuna knows what he's getting into.

Shockey -- See above.

And now for the grand finale, Kurt Warner, who makes both lists:

Warner's success must have been 99% mental. He's had his injury problems, sure, and Faulk's struggles effected the passing game, sure, but Warner has always had the canon and the receivers but just couldn't do anything last year. What he needs is the confidence to huck the ball downfield without inhibition. Only with that confidence can he approach his past numbers. It will be difficult but not impossible for him to achieve such confidence in New York.

Anyone care to offer there own takes on these players or offer some other players for either list?

Interesting topic, but dont overblow it - what I have noticed is not to bet against the head cases. Most of the time by the time we have heard about said incident it is over and done with. The player seems to be on his best behavior and is trying to prove they are better than the media made them out to be.

Moss, TO, Dillon, Shockey, Winslow, and Meshawn - I see absolutely no reason why attitude or mental health should factor into where you draft or value these players whatsoever. Pleasepleaseplease pass on them if you are in my leagues, I will gladly swoop in and "pick up the trash".

Every year it seems people want to devalue both Moss and TO for this reasoning, and every yr those who devalued them have paid the price.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Embattled QBs and Mental Health Patients

Postby Buckychudd » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:41 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Interesting topic, but dont overblow it - what I have noticed is not to bet against the head cases. Most of the time by the time we have heard about said incident it is over and done with. The player seems to be on his best behavior and is trying to prove they are better than the media made them out to be.

Moss, TO, Dillon, Shockey, Winslow, and Meshawn - I see absolutely no reason why attitude or mental health should factor into where you draft or value these players whatsoever. Pleasepleaseplease pass on them if you are in my leagues, I will gladly swoop in and "pick up the trash".

Every year it seems people want to devalue both Moss and TO for this reasoning, and every yr those who devalued them have paid the price.

Last year I took TO over Moss because I thought Moss was too much trouble and too big of a headcase.
!+)
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Wesley Walker » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:43 am

Okay so maybe Vanderjagt was a stretch, but he did make those comments last year calling Peyton's ability to run the team into question.

As far as other head cases being overblown, it is sometimes a small risk to stake a cliam to these players. But it is a risk nonetheless. Corey Dillon owners of last year know what I mean. Not every head case gets their hand slapped and acquieces -- there's always the player who serves the four-game suspension or who refuses to suit up for his team.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:46 am

Wesley Walker wrote: Corey Dillon owners of last year know what I mean. Not every head case gets their hand slapped and acquieces -- there's always the player who serves the four-game suspension or who refuses to suit up for his team.

Before last yr Dillon was not considered a head case.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk