A Commissioner Needs Advise...... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A Commissioner Needs Advise......

Moderator: Football Moderators

A Commissioner Needs Advise......

Postby Tayo » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:52 am

I am a Commissioner of a keeper league. My league is 13 years old and in the past, we have managed the draft with a drawing to determine the order of the draft picks. We use the serpentine method and at the end of every fourth round, we would redraw and start a new draft order. Before the draft would start owners would announce who their keeper would be and owners choosing not to keep a player were placed in what we called the protection round. These owners would then draw to determine an order. Once an order was established they would be allowed to draft what we call a keeper from all the unprotected players. After all owners had a keeper on their roster all 14 teams would come together and draw for the first round of the draft. Where my problem started was when we decided to use how we finished the previous year to determine our next years draft, last place drafting first and First Place drafting last. Some owners feel when owners announce their keeper they are also announcing who their first round draft choice will be. Owners not keeping a player off their rosters are still place in a group then draw for a draft order. They are still allowed to choose a keeper. The only difference now is once the draft begins with all 14 owners our Super Bowl winners want to pick first. Saying we are starting the 2nd round of the draft. I do not feel this complies with the true reason we adopted the worst picks first rule. If all owners are allowed to pick from their roster a keeper. What advantage does it give our last place team to announce they are keep a player off their last place team or what advantage does our last place team have when they are thrown in to a drawing to see who has first pick of the unprotected players? I know this is a long post if you have read this far I thank you. What I am asking for is some advise. Should holding a keeper be considered a first round draft pick.
Tayo
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ABC » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:06 am

Wow. that was a long post!! ha ha ha!!

IMO:
The way you determine and draft order is way too complicated.

To answer your qusetion about keepers. I believe that if you keep a player then you forfeit your 1st round pick.

I'm the commish of our league and just to give you another way you might think about setting up your draft.

12 team league, 3 divisions of 4 teams, 16 total players, 4 keepers. a team must keep at least one player to avoid the dreaded dumping at the end of the season.

divisoin winner make the playoff which coralate to week 15 - 17 of the nfl. week 17 being our superbowl.

the next 3 teams make it on record. the last spot or 8th spot goes to the team with the most pts. this way, if you keep losing to teams that happened to score their highst points against you, you are not penalized, but rewarded for scoring a lot of pts.

the last 4 team play for the toilet bowl and the #1. it's round robin. Winner of the toilet bowl picks #1 in rounds 1-10. in round 11 we serpentine. runner up in the toilet bowl picks #2 and so forth.

for playoff teams, if you lose in the 1st round you play a consolation round with the two highest scores who lost play for the better draft position.

the superbowl winner drafts last in rounds 1-10, until it serpentines.

since you must keep at least once player, everyone does not have a true 1st round pick. since the keeper is basically that owners draft pick.

if you only keep one player and everyone else keeps 4 players, then you have the first 3 picks of our draft, siince all other owners will be picking starting in the 5th round.

we annouce our keepers 3 weeks before the draft. once keepers are announced you can not change them.

anyways, sorry for the long post. we've found that this allows teams to know where they are drafting before the draft, teams don't want to dump during the season because they still need to win the toilet bowl, and it keeps all the owners interested til the end.
ABC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Tayo » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:17 am

Good Stuff ABC
I like a lot of what you said....
Serpentine rounds starting later in the draft
Tayo
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby aussieboy » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:50 am

Ive heard of leagues where if you keep say LT, and he was drafted in the 1st round, then you would lose your 1st round pick.

If you keep say Matt Hasselbeck, and he was originally drafted in the 15th round, then you would forfiet your 15th rounder etc etc.

I like that idea.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk