First time playing Fantasy Football...have questions...help! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

First time playing Fantasy Football...have questions...help!

Moderator: Football Moderators

First time playing Fantasy Football...have questions...help!

Postby dajet00 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:21 am

First question is when should I draft my first QB, first round, second round, or later?

And where can I find good preseason rankings? so when I draft I can refer to them for help.

Any tips would be helpful!

Thanks.
dajet00 Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pablo975 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:22 am

You should, depending on the setup of your league (I'm assuming 10-12 teams with standard scoring), take a RB with your first pick.

In the second round, a couple of stud QBs can be taken like Culpepper & Manning and Randy Moss might be sitting there too. If their there, grab them then.....or another good RB.

Basically, I always like to try to draft positions like this:

RB
RB
QB
WR
WR
DEF
RB (you will have bye weeks)
TE
WR
QB
WR
K

Something along those lines, but always take the best available talent in each round. Don't pass on Tony Gonzalez to get a defense for example.....

And don't forget to try during the draft to draft your team with their teams bye weeks in mind. You don't want to be screwed in Week 9 with both good RBs and your star WR all off that week.

For rankings, just seach around the Cafe.....there's TONS of great info here. I started playing fantasy baseball a few years ago, and the Fantasy Baseball Cafe took my game up to another level......same when I started Fantasy Football....this site is the best secret weapon out there.

Welcome and good luck!
Pablo975
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moose_ffc » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:50 pm

You should lay off on the QB for sure. There is tons of great stuff out there, but if you want the quick and dirty of it (or even the long of it) there are a couple of places I like to go for reliable projections. If you would have looked a about a month earlier, http://www.footballguys.com has some good early information for free. I think they are shutting down the free stuff right now. The other site I like and it is free all year is http://www.footballdocs.com I seem to always find good stuff there all year. If you need some other free sites, http://www.fftoday.com and http://www.fftoolbox.com have some good free rankings also.
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan04 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:55 pm

I wait a long time before taking a QB. Unless Manning or C-pep are available in round 3, I wait until the 7th round or so before drafting one. If there is a great bargain pick in an earlier round then I will definetly grab him, but otherwise i'm waiting.

As for rankings, definetly check out the Cafe rankings and look over the average draft position on [url]antsports.com[/url].
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby JerseyBearsGuy » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:00 pm

Agreed with steelerfan, definitly wait on the QB. Load up on RB's and WR's. If you can get 1 of the top 3 TE's in the 3rd or 4th, go for it, but other than that, at least your first 4 rounds should be getting the best available RB and WR. Then shoot for the qb, if your in a 10 team draft, there are 10 starting fantasy QB's, you'll get 1. I also think that the cafe is a great place to find any info you need. Just search the site and you'll find things. Good Luck.
A. Luck, M. Vick
A. Morris, S. Ridley, D. Williams, L. Miller, W. Mcgahee
B. Marshall, Julio Jones, S. Smith, S. Johnson, E. Royal, M. Brown
J. Thomas, G. Olsen
D. Bailey
Minnesota
JerseyBearsGuy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Response Team
(Past Year: 173)

Postby moose_ffc » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:11 pm

steelerfan04 wrote:As for rankings, definetly check out the Cafe rankings and look over the average draft position on [url]antsports.com[/url].

Oh yea, you had better go to Ant Sports for a good feeling on where the hardcore fans out there think players should go. Remember, most leagues want be as tough as the Mock Drafts on Ant Sports because only nuts spend time Mock Drafting. (And yes, I am an Almond Joy)
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Football Talk