Overall Strategy: When to draft defense(IDP)? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Overall Strategy: When to draft defense(IDP)?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Overall Strategy: When to draft defense(IDP)?

Postby thrash » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:15 am

This is a strategy question, but I may use some individual examples to help explain my question...

Apart from Ray Lewis, who should go a round or two before the other defensive players, when is the right time for defense? I am the 2nd pick in thr 7th round and have all my offensive starters drafted besides TE, Crumplers left. Sharper and Edwards seem to be the consenus 2-3...do you take either of them before say a Warrick Dunn? Or what about some top 30 WRs like McCarrins or Javon Walker?

Overall when is the right time for defense when you have to start 3 defensive flexes?
thrash
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigMusky » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:48 am

it would useful if you posted up your scoring. But I usually think of IDP on the same level of a kicker. If you are not thrilled with any offensive players around, then you can reach up a little and take a top guy like Lewis...otherwise just wait till the end of the draft and take some people there. You are starting three guys though, so maybe not wait until the very end before you take one or two.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby trevisc » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:19 pm

We play with IDPs and I drafted Lewis in the 4th round (8th pick). I try to get the top or as close to it at each position and Lewis is head and shoulders above his peers and ranked as a top 23 player (overall) in our league in points. I was ridiculed for taking IDPs too early but with P.Manning, TO, Edge, Ray Lewis, Sharper, Brooking and Strahan as my feature stars, i'm bound to compete every week.
trevisc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BigMusky » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:38 pm

that is why I wanted him to put up his scoring...Ray Lewis hit about 100 points in my league....which does not really put him anywhere near the top overall point getters.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby thrash » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:48 pm

Defensive players get 1 point per tackle, 4 for sacks and interceptions and 3 for forced fumbles and fumble recoveries...in our scoring format Holmes was the high scorer with 17, LT with 15 and Jamal Lewis with around 13...the rest of the first tier backs got about 10...good defensive players score from 8-10 points a game so they're prolly more valuable than the average defensive player...
thrash
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk