RB shakeup - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

RB shakeup

Moderator: Football Moderators

RB shakeup

Postby Vandelay-Ind » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:22 am

I have Shaun Alexander in my keeper league and in my opinion I'm not sure I would trade him for anybody. We all know you can not go by last years stats when ranking. LT may have a tough year on that horrible team, Priest might be hitting the age where he isn't god anymore (see Marshall Faulk), and Portis is on a new team w/out Denvers O-line (and Skins best OLineman is out for the year).

Taking that into consideration I think Alexander, Green, and Deuce are 1,2,3 as far as RBs this year. All 3 are young backs on good (if not great) offenses. All 3 are proven with their teams. All 3 catch a good amount of passes. All 3 find the endzone quite a bit. To top it off, Alexander is in a contract year, I like that.
Vandelay-Ind
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:28 am

Seems like I should make my first post here in response to someone who shares my delusions.

Actually, I'd still bow to the Priest first.
But then I like Alexander, Green and Deuce before getting into LT2 and Portis.

Still waiting for my league's draft order; last year I got Shaun 7th overall and could probably do it again (especially if the Viking fan who took Moss No. 1 overall is in front of me again :-D).
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:28 am

Couldn't you have said the same thing about LT the past two years? And what did he do?

Passing on LT is a giant mistake.

I also think passing on Priest is a big mistake (did you see what he did the last 2 years?)

However, Portis is a giant question mark this year. I'd take him 5th overall, but still before Deuce.
Last edited by BrutallyHuge on Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:31 am

Priest is too good in a redraft league to pass up. His hip hurt last year and he had his best year ever. Even if he plays at 80% production, thats still 21 touchdowns. Priest will be the best fantasy back this year, followed by LT, Green, Deuce, then Portis, then Alexander. Thats my opinion.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Re: RB shakeup

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:35 am

Vandelay-Ind wrote:I have Shaun Alexander in my keeper league and in my opinion I'm not sure I would trade him for anybody. We all know you can not go by last years stats when ranking. LT may have a tough year on that horrible team, Priest might be hitting the age where he isn't god anymore (see Marshall Faulk), and Portis is on a new team w/out Denvers O-line (and Skins best OLineman is out for the year).

Taking that into consideration I think Alexander, Green, and Deuce are 1,2,3 as far as RBs this year. All 3 are young backs on good (if not great) offenses. All 3 are proven with their teams. All 3 catch a good amount of passes. All 3 find the endzone quite a bit. To top it off, Alexander is in a contract year, I like that.

While I may not agree 100%, I think you have a very valid argument. SA is a stud in a great situation - no doubt no doubt.

I couldnt pass on Holmes, but a case can be made to have SA go #2.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Vandelay-Ind » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:26 pm

As far as Priest goes, I'm sure everyone thought Marshall Faulk would hang on to the #1 spot longer than he did. RBs can change in a hurry.
Vandelay-Ind
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bungle613 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:36 pm

The LT2 argument doesn't hold up. He has always been on a horrible team and always produced. I think, "think" Priest should stilll lead the league this year.

Your reasoning is good but the main reason I have Alexander ranked at #5 (ahead of Portis) is that he is a boom and bust player. Last year was better than the year before but he still had 9 games of under 100 yards, 4 of those under 60 yards.

It is simply not a good idea too have a #1 rb that gets 58/0 (58 yards, 0 td's) 77/0, 72/0, 56/1, 48/1. He does it on a regular basis.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Vandelay-Ind » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:55 pm

Good point on LT, his team has sucked for a while, but they are beyond horrendous now. But I'll buy the argument.

My point is I think Alexander is going to bust out this year. Thinking about it, I think Deuce is going to have a huge year also. And I think Priest and Portis are going to have down years by their standards.

Is this fair:
1. LT
2. Alexander
3. Deuce
4. Ahman
5. Priest
6. Portis
????????????
Vandelay-Ind
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bungle613 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:58 pm

NO love for Ahman? The guy has just been better and better every year.

Priest
LT2
Ahman
Deuce
Alex
Portis
Edge
Jamal
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheRawDAWG » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:45 pm

I agree I don't think Priest and LT2 will be up to par this year. But I disagree with who you think will be #1.

1. Ahman
2. Priest
3. SA
4. LT2
5. Portis
6. Duece
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk