Freeman signs w/ Phins - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Freeman signs w/ Phins

Moderator: Football Moderators

Freeman signs w/ Phins

Postby Flux » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:05 pm

With their wide receiver corps decimated by injuries, the Miami Dolphins have reached a contract accord with Antonio Freeman, ESPN.com has learned, and the nine-year veteran will sign a one-year deal on Monday afternoon.

Freeman, 32, has played in 132 games and started in 91 of them, and last Tuesday auditioned for Miami coaches and personnel officials. Although he has not been in camp this summer, Freeman typically keeps himself in excellent condition and, given his league tenure, should be able to take in the Dolphins playbook fairly quickly. Most importantly, he will add much-needed relief to a ravaged position.

Financial details of the contract were not immediately available.

The Dolphins lost starter David Boston on Aug. 6 when he tore the patellar tendon in his left knee during combined workouts with the Texans. Boston has not yet been placed on injured reserve, and hopes to be able to return in November, but that would mean an incredibly speedy recovery from a severe injury. In Saturday night's preseason game, wideout Kendall Newson, who had claimed the No. 3 job with a superb training camp, suffered a season-ending Achilles tendon injury.

Even without the Newson injury, the Dolphins probably would have signed Freeman to bolster their thinning ranks. Starters Chris Chambers and Derrius Thompson, along with backup Terrence Wilkins, are all nursing minor injuries as well.

Freeman played the first seven seasons of his career with Green Bay, moved on to Philadelphia in 2002, then re-signed with the Packers last season. The former Virginia Tech star, once one of the NFL's most dependable and feared playmakers, has a resume that includes 477 receptions, 7,251 yards and 61 touchdowns.

He has six seasons of 50-plus catches and three years with over 1,000 receiving yards. But since originally departing the Packers after the 2001 campaign, when he was cut for salary cap considerations, Freeman has posted just 60 catches for 741 yards and four touchdowns in 31 appearances.

Even with his blunted numbers over the past two seasons, however, Freeman's average of a touchdown catch every 7.8 receptions is one of the best in the NFL over the past couple decades. Freeman has been working out at home in Baltimore and in Miami, where he also maintains a residence.

Earlier this summer, he rejected job offers from at least two other teams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=1860339

Well, its better than nothing. It would be nice though if they could pick up a speedster to stretch the field, although if the line cant hold up, a possession guy like Freeman could be exactly what they need
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Warpigs » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:13 pm

Good read Flux. I figured they'd sign Freeman. From a fantasy stance, I'm still not ready to pick up Freeman -- even if it comes in the end of the draft -- just because of the major question marks surrounding the QBs. Just read this AM that Wannstedt won't name his starting QB until week one of the regular season. Considering they're throwing money at Feeley, it's not a good sign that he hasn't claimed the starting job by now.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby TheHeat24 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:10 pm

I thought freeman was older than 32... Iguess its cuz he runs like a 40 year old, I really dont see him being an upgrade over derrius thompson...

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby MadScott » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:08 pm

TheHeat24 wrote:I thought freeman was older than 32... Iguess its cuz he runs like a 40 year old, I really dont see him being an upgrade over derrius thompson...
LOL, I asked the same thing before. He's an old 32 to say the least.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:09 pm

TheHeat24 wrote:I thought freeman was older than 32... Iguess its cuz he runs like a 40 year old, I really dont see him being an upgrade over derrius thompson...

They already said Thompson will be the #2, and Freeman the #3.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk