Moderator: Football Moderators

More on Fitzgerald's Injury

Postby Warpigs » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:37 pm

Not sounding too bad...

Cardinals: Fitzgerald details ankle injury

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Monday, August 16, 2004

News
Cardinals' wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald explained how he sprained his ankle in Saturday's preseason game against the Vikings. "On a deep ball," Fitzgerald told the Star Tribune after the game. "I went up and stepped on (Vikings' cornerback Antoine) Winfield's ankle and rolled it up a little bit." X-rays performed after the game were negative, but no timetable has been established for Fitzgerald's return.

Views
Larry wore a walking boot after the game on Saturday and the injury is being described as a severe sprain. With fellow starting wideout Anquan Boldin expected to miss at least four week of regular season action, the Cards desperately need Fitzgerald to get healthy before week one.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:39 pm

I dont like the word severe in that report. Ive sprained my ankles many times before, some are fine in a couple days, others take a couple weeks, and I had one that left me on crutches for 2 months. Im hoping its not the latter for him
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mudd » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:50 pm

I sure hope they don't rush im back, given their WR situation right now. Like Flux said, a severe ankle sprain can last a while.

This is not good news for the Cards, that's for sure.
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Paladyr » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:44 pm

are you kidding me??? not sounding too bad??? I had a severely sprained ankle and it took a LONG time to heal, and it's not even fully healed!!! When he plays this year he will be playing on a painful ankle. This is VERY bad news.
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:49 pm

Severe and sprain suck together as words. It can take a long time to heal and I doubt Fitz will be at 100% by the first week. Another suckfest of a season for Arizona, except for no bright spots like Boldin was last year.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TheHeat24 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:02 pm

Wasnt it faulk who had a "severe" ankle sprain and missed significant time list year?

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:02 pm

Bryant Johnson for garbage time, anyone?

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:05 pm

I think Johnson is still wearing the boot from the stress fracture in his foot, so even I think he may not be a garbage time threat. Freddie Jones anyone? :-o
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:07 pm

Flux wrote:I dont like the word severe in that report. Ive sprained my ankles many times before, some are fine in a couple days, others take a couple weeks, and I had one that left me on crutches for 2 months. Im hoping its not the latter for him

Yep, with as many times as I've sprained my ankles I'm pretty much an expert on it now. The majority of the time it was just a RICE thing and I could still walk on it fine, one time however it was diagnosed as a severe sprain and it took a long time to heal, and I had to use crutches for a week or so and a walking boot after that.

The worst part is that sprained ankles are a nagging injury, and the more you sprain them the easier it is to do it again. This could easily come up again down the road after it's "healed".
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby bagobonez » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:08 pm

You can't compare your own ankle injuries to Fitzgerald's. Fitzgerald has the benefit of multi-million dollar technology and rehab to get him up and running ASAP. I would expect him to be on the field by week 1. The problem is, he's missing valuable experience by not being able to participate in camp and in pre-season games which will hurt his stock much more than the injury.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk