IDP comparison to Offensive Positions - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

IDP comparison to Offensive Positions

Moderator: Football Moderators

IDP comparison to Offensive Positions

Postby BigMusky » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:49 pm

DL = RB
DB's = WR
LB's = QB's

So if you are drafting multiple IDP positions, you should probably not take Ray Lewis as your number one guy. It would be like taking Peyton Manning with the first overall pick.

An article on CNNSI went into more detail about this and there have been so many question on IDP's already I thought it was worth posting. Sorry if it already has been.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/fantasy/08/11/idp.insight/index.html
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheHeat24 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:00 pm

Are you kidding me, Ray Lewis is the priest holmes of idp... only one man came even close to him last year in fantasy points and that was donnie edwards... And according to that logic if LB's= Qb's then you should load up on them... Qb's score more then Rb's on a consistent basis... defensive lineman are the worst to pick... they are feast or famine, youeither get a sack or nothing... they are usually only good as bye week fillers... As a man with experience in IDP leagues the Lb's are the most consistent performers followed by the big name safeties...

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigMusky » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:13 pm

The assumption (that I should have stated and apologize) is that you start

2 DL
3 DB
3 LB

lots of LB's put up similar points, but DL fall off very quickly. That is why they are more valuable. Peyton Manning scored way more points then Holmes last year, but not many people would suggest you take Manning over Holmes. If you can play any position you want then of course you play LB's.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:35 pm

Actually, the fairer comparison (at least in leagues with standard scoring for IDP's) is:

LB=RB
WR=DB
QB=DL

BigMusky wrote:Peyton Manning scored way more points then Holmes last year

What are you talking about? Tell me a scoring system in which this is the case.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby roninmedia » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:27 pm

VHawk15 wrote:Actually, the fairer comparison (at least in leagues with standard scoring for IDP's) is:

LB=RB
WR=DB
QB=DL

10 yards passing/rushing/recieving per pt.
1 pt per completion
1 pt per attempt.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Halcyon » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:35 pm

I think the point is that there are a lot of linebackers that put up big points, but only a few DL. So DL are like running backs in that it's advantageous to pick up a good one early, because there aren't as many.

The problem with this is that it's from their scoring system in their leagues. If you play in Yahoo, you know that DL and LB are combined into DL, so you almost always want to pick a linebacker. But also, their scoring system is unbalanced. Under that system, you basically just pick the guys with the most tackles.

A more fair system (and also the default yahoo one) has tackles worth .5 points, so that sack artists and the like are worthwhile. If you use something like that, DL are a lot better, and there are more of them.
Halcyon Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby hawksfan896 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:19 pm

God I hate IDPs. We've used them in my main league every year and it really burns my ass. We use 3, I can't even imagine using 5 or more. I would probably break my TV. We just use straight up 3 defensive players, so it's always LBs with us. If you can count on 6-10 tackles a game, take it over the possibility of a couple of sacks and 2-3 tackles (most DLs) or possibly a pick and a TD w/ a DB. It sounds like none of you have too much of a problem with them, but if you think your league overvalues defensive players I suggest using this style:

.5/tackle
2/sack,ff,fr,int

That way you don't have defensive guys going for like 20 like you do with the point per tackle system, because it's pretty much a crapshoot every week anyhow, and I'd rather lose to a kicker than a defensive player.
"When I was a kid I thought I was going to be the starting centerfielder for the Boston Red Sox. Life sucks, get a f___ing helmet." --Dennis Leary
hawksfan896
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:23 pm

roninmedia wrote:
VHawk15 wrote:Actually, the fairer comparison (at least in leagues with standard scoring for IDP's) is:

LB=RB
WR=DB
QB=DL

1 pt per completion
1 pt per attempt.

Heh, sorry I didn't clarify. I meant a scoring system that's logical and one that 1% of fantasy football leagues use. If QB's got a point for 10 yards passing, a point for completion, and a point for passing attempts, all the top 12 QB's would be more valuable than Priest.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby hawksfan896 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:26 pm

VHawk15 wrote:
roninmedia wrote:

LB=RB
WR=DB
QB=DL

1 pt per completion
1 pt per attempt.

Heh, sorry I didn't clarify. I meant a scoring system that's logical and one that 1% of fantasy football leagues use. If QB's got a point for 10 yards passing, a point for completion, and a point for passing attempts, all the top 12 QB's would be more valuable than Priest.

Was just thinking that same thing...1.5 points per passing attempt with an average QB? Rex Grossman would be more valuable than Priest.
"When I was a kid I thought I was going to be the starting centerfielder for the Boston Red Sox. Life sucks, get a f___ing helmet." --Dennis Leary
hawksfan896
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Postby BigMusky » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:41 am

Completions (.2)
Passing Yards (50 yards per point)
Passing Touchdowns (6)
Rushing Yards (20 yards per point)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Receptions (.25)