Keepers for the 2003-2004 Season----AFC South - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Keepers for the 2003-2004 Season----AFC South

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keepers for the 2003-2004 Season----AFC South

Postby Slingblade » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:21 pm

AFC SOUTH

HOUSTON TEXANS

QB David Carr (23 years old, rookie) - did pretty good during his first year and showed signs of some true quarterback skills as he posted almost 3,000 yards passing, almost 300 yards rushing with only 9 TDs. He threw 15 INTs and was sacked more times than I can count. Look for the Texans’ offensive line to improve next year, which will give Carr more time in the pocket and get over the 3,000 mark with about 20 TDs. Carr may survive the draft so you can pick him up any time you want (if you want). Do not keep.

RB Jonathan Wells (23 years old, rookie) - was supposed to be the backup running back behind Allen, but took the starting position. Look for the battle for the starting line to continue during the off-season. With a sub par performance, his numbers should improve next year, but I doubt he’ll be a stud. Do not keep.

RB James Allen (27 years old, 5 years in the NFL) - with a quick look at his stats, you wonder if he even played this year or was out hurt for half of the season. Nope. Houston had a terrible year rushing the ball this past season so neither running back did very well and may improve next year, but not too much. Do not keep.

WR Corey Bradford (27 years old, 4 years in the NFL) - may get the lion’s share of Carr’s passing stats next year and will probably have a very decent season. Though he posted close to 700 yards receiving and only 6 TDs, I would look for Bradford to do much better next year. Of course, that all depends on Houston’s offensive line improving. Though I like Bradford, chances are that he will not get drafted until the later rounds so you should ample opportunity to pick him up. Do not keep.

WR Jabar Gaffney (22 years old, rookie) - I believe some expected this rookie to have a good year, but he didn’t reach the 500 yards mark and only caught one TD pass. That doesn’t make him a bad receiver. It was an understandable year as the Texans played their rookie season as the newest expansion team. Barring injury, look for Gaffney to have a good year next season, but I think his numbers will be second to Bradford’s. Do not keep.

TE Billy Miller (25 years old, 3 years in the NFL) - looked pretty good overall I would say. With over 600 yards receiving, 51 receptions and 3 TDs, Miller ranked pretty well as tight ends go. Look for Miller to be a go-to-guy for Carr next season and end on top of the list for tight ends. Okay, that may be stretching it a bit, but Miller will certainly be worthy of a draft spot near the end of the draft after other picks will be used up on Gonzalez, Shockey, Heap and a couple others. Do not keep.

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

QB Peyton Manning (26 years old, 5 years in the NFL) - finished the season somewhat cold, but had another stud year racking up 4,200 yards through the air and a very respectable 27 TDs. However, he did throw 19 INTs. Without a great running game, Manning was forced to win games through the air. Of course, this helped Marvin Harrison considerably. Look for Manning to have another stud year. Manning will be among the top five quarterbacks taken in the draft so you may consider him a keeper only if you have several keeper spots. Otherwise, let him go to the draft and hope to get him back or one of the other top five quarterbacks.

RB Edgerrin James (24 years old, 4 years in the NFL) - didn’t look like "The Edge" this year as he came close to the 1,000 yards mark with 989 yards. He only found the end zone twice. Not a very good year for a stud running back. I believe this was an off year for Edgerrin and believe he will show us what he is made of the next year with close to 1,500 yards and 15 TDs. Keep.

RB James Mungro (24 years old, rookie) - looked very good when he got the chance. As a backup, Mungro posted 336 yards and a very respectable 8 TDs. Look for Mungro to go undrafted next fantasy season except in very deep leagues. Do not keep.

WR Marvin Harrison (30 years old, 7 years in the NFL) - is a stud. With over 1,700 yards and 11 TDs, Harrison had a very nice year and should come back next year with similar numbers. He may reach 1,700 yards next year, but look for him to get more than 11 TDs. Keep.

WR Qadry Ismail (32 years old, 10 years in the NFL) - had to fight injuries this year, but managed 462 yards and 3 TDs in a partial season. With Harrison the go-to-guy for Manning, look for Ismail to get about 700 yards and 5-7 TDs next year. Ismail may get drafted in some leagues in the later rounds, but should be available whenever you want him. Though a respectable play in your number 3 receiver spot, he is not a keeper.

WR Reggie Wayne (24 years old, 2 years in the NFL) - came off the waiver wire towards the end of the season in some leagues and had a pretty good year with Ismail out posting 716 yards and 4 TDs. I wouldn’t look for Wayne to duplicate that next year. Wayne will get at least 500 yards and 3-4 TDs next year. Do not keep.

TE Marcus Pollard (30 years old, 8 years in the NFL) - is one of the desired tight ends mainly because of Manning. Though Pollard only caught 478 yards, he did cross the goal line 6 times. Look for Pollard to get 500-700 yards with 6-8 TDs next year. Look for Pollard to be among the top five tight ends drafted and should fall to the mid to late rounds of the draft. Do not keep.

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

QB Mark Brunell (32 years old, 9 years in the NFL) - had an off year with only 2,788 yards passing and 17 TDs. Though he only threw 7 INTs, Brunell did not look like the stud quarterback we have all respected. In many leagues, Brunell could be found on the waiver wire. I expect Brunell to have a better year next year and break the 3,000 yards mark and hit 20 TDs. Based on his performance and the number of quality quarterbacks available in the draft, look for Brunell to go undrafted in many leagues. Do not keep.

RB Fred Taylor (26 years old, 4 years in the NFL) - may have lost the nickname "Fragile Freddy" with a very decent season running for 1,314 yards, 408 receiving yards and 8 TDs. Considering Mack took all of the goal line carries and third downs, it is a wonder that Taylor posted the stats he did. There must be an explanation. It’s because he is a stud. Look for Taylor to exceed the 1,500 yards mark and 10-12 TDs and to be drafted early. Due to the skepticism of Taylor’s health, Taylor may not make the top 10 running backs, but is certainly worthy of a number 2 pick. Keep.

RB Stacey Mack (28 years old, 4 years in the NFL) - is a great choice in TD only leagues with 9 TDs this year, but only had 436 yards on the ground. It may be Jacksonville’s quest to keep Taylor healthy by using Mack, but with Taylor proving he can stay healthy, you may see Mack’s role decrease. Mack could make 500 yards rushing next year, but may only get 5-7 TDs. Do not keep.

WR Jimmy Smith (34 years old, 9 years in the NFL) - was quiet this past season, but is still one of the NFL stud receivers. With only 1,027 yards receiving, Smith wasn’t among the elite, but could be expected to put at least 1,000 yards in the books for next season and should easily outdo his 7 TDs performance of this past season. With the number of quality receivers in the NFL, Smith should be available in the middle rounds of the draft. Do not keep.

WR Bobby Shaw (27 years old, 4 years in the NFL) - may not be able to compete with Jimmy Smith, but managed 525 yards receiving with only 1 TD. He may be a consideration for some bye weeks next year, but will not be drafted and should not be kept. Do not keep.

TE Kyle Brady (30 years old, 8 years in the NFL) - had an okay year considering Brunell and the Jaguars struggled last season. With only 461 yards and 4 TDs, Brady didn’t make it among the top five in the tight end category, but did manage to squeak in at the number ten spot. Look for Brady to do better next year with about 600 yards receiving and 5-7 TDs. Brady should be available in the later rounds of the draft so don’t waste the early picks. Do not keep.

TENNESSEE TITANS

QB Steve McNair (30 years old, 8 years in the NFL) - performed well this year and even though a number of quarterbacks outperformed "Air McNair," little performed with the heart that McNair plays with week in and week out. McNair is among the best even if he only passed for 3,387 yards, and 22 TDs, with 15 INTs, which are good, but certainly not great, numbers. McNair should easily reach the 3,000 yards mark next year as well as surpass the 20 TDs mark. McNair will probably be among the top ten quarterbacks taken in the draft, allowing ample opportunity to take him in the middle rounds of the draft. Though a great starter, he is not a keeper. Do not keep.

RB Eddie George (29 years old, 7 years in the NFL) - was a stud, is a stud, will be a stud. George posted an average 1,165 yards rushing and 12 TDs, and 255 yards receiving with 2 TDs through the air. Watch for George to at least match those numbers in the upcoming season and possibly break the 1,500 yards mark. Eddie will be drafted towards the end of the first round in most leagues and will not be available in keeper leagues because he is a keeper. Keep.

WR Derrick Mason (29 years old, 6 years in the NFL) - came in among the top twenty receivers despite missing a couple of games with injury. Though Mason broke the 1,000 yards mark, he only caught 5 TD passes, but added to his fantasy value with return yardage (in leagues that allow return yards). Look for Mason to log another 1,000 yards season next year with 8-10 TDs. Mason will probably be drafted in the middle rounds in most leagues, but should not be considered a keeper. Do not keep.

WR Kevin Dyson (27 years old, 4 years in the NFL) - managed a mediocre 460 yards with 4 TDs and found on many waiver wires. Look for Dyson to break the 500 yards mark with 5-6 TDs next year, but with Mason in the picture, he shouldn’t do much more. Dyson will make a respectable play in some bye weeks, but is not a keeper. Do not keep.

TE Frank Wycheck (31 years old, 10 years in the NFL) - did not have a very good year as he only managed 346 yards with 2 TDs. Wycheck may not have a much better year next year, but should be able to exceed such paltry numbers. Wycheck may go undrafted in most leagues so if you want him, do not look to pick him up until the last round or two. Do not keep.
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dazedncnfz » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:29 pm

nice artical sling!...good little tid bits of info ;-D

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VIPER » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:44 pm

Yeah... nice job Sling!! ;-D
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby JayM09 » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:53 pm

nice point of view sling, keep it up
JayM09
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Sandwich » Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:37 pm

Nice work but I have a few comments. One, I think the Edge is a plague and I don't want him anywhere near my team. If I did have him I would trade him off season for a Michael Bennett or someone like that.

Two, I think Carr is the real deal. I was not a fan before this year but given his durability and performance with a decimated line, I am now a fan. He, Pennington and Harrington have the oportunity to have breakout sophomore seasons.

I think Mungro is a nice late round sleeper pick, especially in larger keeper leagues. I think he will see at least some playing time and if Edge gets an injury, he is the man in Indy. B-)
The Sandwich
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby chaindog35 » Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:06 am

Sling I like the analysis, I would worry keeping james or george but knowing how precious rbs are, they surely are worthy keepers.
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Indy Dragons » Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:59 am

I'm not sure what the Colts plans are at the moment, but you cannot forget Dominic Rhodes, who shined in 2001 for the injured James, but was injured last season.
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:11 pm

RB Eddie George (29 years old, 7 years in the NFL) - was a stud, is a stud, will be a stud.

RB Eddie George (29 years old, 7 years in the NFL) - fell down at the line of scrimidge, falls down at the line of scrimidge, and will continue to fall down at the line of scrimidge.
:-)
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:14 pm

only a little bit of eddie bias... :-)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby VIPER » Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:23 pm

Wow!! You would think it was Slow talking about Timmmaaayy!!
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk