Trading Picks DURRING the Draft? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Trading Picks DURRING the Draft?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Budman_ffc » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:08 pm

Can't see why not...the NFL does this every year during the draft and my league allows it as well. If there are no rules on this then I'd say it is legal and a 10/15 for a 12/13 is quite fair...just preference really.

I am against any type of trade vetos unless there is roster dumping/collusion involved. I don't see that happening here so I'd let it fly. Just my opinion! :-)
That's my two cents and it's worth every penny of it!

Semper Fi!
Budman_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mxlplyk » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:40 pm

Hey All,

I participate in a 14 man redraft league and have been for the last 11 years.

Trading draft picks can be an effective tool in the draft. It is by no means CHEATING or UNETHICAL. Why would anyone think that?

I will tell you that trading picks really should ONLY be done during the draft. How else are you going to know what you are getting or more directly, WHO are you getting.

Trading draft picks is the most effective when used with tiering. Tiering is the grouping of players with indistinguishable value of the same position.

I will use an example from my draft last year. I had the 13 pick in my 14 man league(Snake style). After securing 2 RBs with my first 2 picks I assumed I was going to go WR with the 3rd. I assume this because I know my league and if I wanted to go RB again, it would probably be my 25th ranked one. So as the 3rd round progressed I tried unsuccessfully to trade up and grab that last running back(Just too big of a jump) I had in one of upper tiers. So I then worked on grabbing one of my WRs from my second tier of WRs. This tier of WRs included Moss, HOlt, Ward, Moulds, and HOrn. As the round progressed I finally found someone who was willing to trade. We switched 3rd, 4th round picks. He then wanted a sweetner because moving up 7 spots in the 3rd round is a much more valuable than moving up 7 spots in the 4th. I offered we swap 8th round picks, he said 6 round, I then said 6th and 7th. He agreed.

I then selected Hines Ward, the last WR available at that tier. And the rest is history the guy had another great year.

So the question is when do you trade. Well remeber you can trade UP or DOWN. I traded up because I felt that I could get a guy (HINES WARD) who was the last of that upper tier. If I just sat pat I would have had to select a WR that was in a lower tier.

SO the rule of thumb is, "TRADE UP TO GET ONE OF THE LAST GUYS IN A HIGHER TIER".

So now when do you trade down? Well I think we all can figure that out. "Trade down when you think you are going to grab one of the first players in your tier."

If you tier players, and they all in your mind are equal, then why would you want to be the first one to select from that tier. That means every time you select you are getting the worst value.

Any thoughts?
Mxlplyk
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:47 pm

If there is no written(or even implied)set of rules on it,I say allow it.We do it in our league,but very few people want to deal with the hassle.I find if you want it bad enough,it makes it more interesting,and where he drafts is really none of your concern.All you can do is build the best team you can from where you are,or put together a trade yourself.If it is causing the draft to slow down to unacceptable speeds,then there may be cause for some bitching.Otherwise,just realax and let things fall where they may.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Mxlplyk » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:55 pm

Good point about slowing the draft down.

We have a rule in our league. When it is your time to pick, you have 3 minutes. If you go over, tough, the next guy picks, then we come back to you. After the 9th round this drops down to 1 minute.

thoughts?
Mxlplyk
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby stikmata » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:04 pm

i like the idea of the clock... and you described when to trade up/down perfectly

and just to clarify... i think this is a very fair trade... and wouldnt argue it at all... im just concered about opening the flood gates for owners to take advantage of the newbies... im definately gonna remind the comish that we have a $5 flat fee for trades... and that shouldnt exclude picks... i guess our league is gonna vote on it or something... but if two owners trusted each other enuff.. they could use this system to enusure they get the guys they have their eye on... but it'd take two guys that REALLY trusted each other on opposite ends of the draft... and who really wants to help out a competitior
stikmata
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Rodge » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:15 am

stikmata wrote:
im not the person he wants to trade with... im wondering if it is an ethical practice to trade draft picks DURRING the draft

I cannot understand why in the world this would be unethical. I think the main and possibly only concern with trading picks during the draft is the whole time issue. It can really take a lot of conversing to get a deal done, but if there is a time limit per pick than that can take care of it.
"I won't get you sixty, but I'll get you ten sixes."
~Brian Piccolo
Rodge
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ABC » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:45 am

I also believe in trading picks. This way the draft is more realistic and closer to the NFL draft.

I don't see anything unethical about it, unless your rules prohibit such things.

If I have the 7rth pick in the draft, and the top 6 rb's are gone, i'd think about moving back to move up round #2.
ABC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Arlo » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:02 am

There's nothing unethical about this whatsoever; it's just a matter of league taste. Why not put this up for a quick league vote, and go with whatever the majority decides?

(Incidentally, I'd recommend a commish-loses-ties rule in cases like this.)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk