How Much Preseason? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How Much Preseason?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How Much Preseason?

Postby Payne Dailey » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:47 pm

Do you watching and why?

I usually take a glimpse at the first couple of weeks, to see some plays/teams/players. The next two weeks I watch the majority of the games for development of starters and unknowns/under performers. The final week I make sure I watch most games to make my final list for the year.
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby irishboy » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:13 pm

i watch my home team but with nonhome team its so hard to watch the whole game because IMO its boring and u dont learn that much about the players u actually need to know about
IRISH PRIDE (WHAT'S WRONG WITH ALL CAPS)
irishboy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby moose_ffc » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:17 pm

I watch a lot, but mainly because I am starved for the real thing.

I don't let the happenings effect my draft too much, but I have to say that Dayne is the person who impressed me the most so far. The person I have been a little unimpressed with is Stephen Jackson. Yes, he is big and yes he can catch and block, but the dude is missing a 3rd gear. I don't see him being as big of an impact player as I had once hoped. (That said, there is NO WAY I would have Faulk and not have this dude.)
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby fantasizing » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:20 pm

4 preseason games is ridiculous. The starters don't even play past the 1st quarter because the coaches are terrified they'll get injured. It's basically a showcase for future prospects.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Rodge » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:03 am

I don't watch any of the preseason - well, maybe a few minutes here and there but that's it. I don't understand the fascination with preseason football. Yes, I know that people just miss the game, but it is just not the same. The strategy that each team adopts for the preseason is nothing like the strategy of the regular season. The strategy is to see how the young and new guys look and to really just practice. During the regular season, when I watch I am constantly critiquing the play calling and the strategy being used. I simply cannot do that during a preseason game.

I guess in a way I kind of boycott the preseason because of how unnecessary and a waste of time it is. We have heard over and over how 40 years a go training camps were necessary to get players in shape because all the guys had regular jobs in the offseason and didn't work out. This is true. And it is true that players now work out year round and don't need training camp to get in shape. There are so many injuries because guys are overworked. I guess I am also still bitter about the death of Korey Stringer. It is too bad that it takes a death to get things changed.

Pat Kirwan, NFL.com Senior Analyst, says that a 2 game preseason could be on the horizon. He has some interesting insights on training camp. Here is the link:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7571134
"I won't get you sixty, but I'll get you ten sixes."
~Brian Piccolo
Rodge
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Ek » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:37 am

I'll watch 3 or 4 of the Bears preseason games and probably the first half of 2 or 3 others...basically if it's on and I'm a little bored, I'll watch pre-season games, but I'm not planning my day around one.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:02 am

I like your breakdown of watching preseason games, Payne. The last few games where the starters will play most or all of the first half are good to watch. Since the season is so close, you'll know who's and what teams may be rising and falling going into the start of the season. I guess it's still a long way from the end of the year, but sleeper picks could be formed from what you see in these games.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk