What happened to A. Freeman?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What happened to A. Freeman??

Moderator: Football Moderators

What happened to A. Freeman??

Postby Rodge » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:52 am

I am looking for some insight as to what happened to Antonio Freeman's career. I mean, here is a guy that during a 2 year period from 1997-98 was one of the best WR's in the game. In fact in 1998, he had 84 receptions for 1424 yards and 14 touchdowns. Since then however, he has steadily declined. He has declined so much that he didn't even average one catch per game last season.

Recently signed by the Dolphins, I don't believe that Freeman and much value fantasy wise. At least not until the season starts and it becomes apparent how much he has left and how much the Dolphins are going to use him. I believe it is pretty rare for a WR to be a very good player, fall off the face of the earth, and return to be a very good player once again. I think this happens more with QB's (i.e. Rich Gannon - he did have a QB rating of 81.5 after appearing in 15 games in 1991 with the Vikings.)
Anyways, any comments?
"I won't get you sixty, but I'll get you ten sixes."
~Brian Piccolo
Rodge
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:57 am

Yep, I think you're onto this one. I don't see how Freeman can all of a sudden become a viable fantasy option, especially the way Miami's offense is looking right now. He's getting up there in age, hasn't been "the man" for a while, and he'll be learning a new system in Miami.

When he was with Favre and was the go-to receiver, he was awesome. But, those days have long passed him by. He did nothing with the Pack last year even when Driver and Ferguson were gone, so I don't expect a miracle return to glory in this new environment, especially with Chambers ahead of him.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk