Yahoo Pre-Rankings - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Yahoo Pre-Rankings

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do you prefer pre-rankings based on the prior season or based on the opinions of "expert"

Prior Season
31%
An Expert
69%

Total votes : 13

Yahoo Pre-Rankings

Postby rickscogland » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:04 am

Before spam, popups, and fee's ruined it for me, I always enjoyed Sandbox for fantasy sports. Now I use Yahoo. What I miss most about Sandbox is that Yahoo does the rankings for you! (ADDED: I *DO* understand that users CAN EDIT ... my point is that way too much pre-ranking has ALREADY been done to everyone's pre-rankings before we even start!) Sandbox used to leave player rankings the way they ended in the previous season and let YOU rank YOUR players so it could truely be YOUR team. With Yahoo, they have an "expert" pre-edit YOUR pre-rankings. Now, I understand that their "expert" is not perfect ... there have been some comical examples in the past. However, I'm finding that the later you draft, the more Yahoo corrects them, and by the time a late draft takes place, there is really very little pre-ranking to do. What fun is that? I enjoy draft preparation ... taking the time to bump-up the players whose value has improved or whose health has returned, and bump-down those whose situation/health/age has worsened. I enjoy bumping up the RB's and bumping down the kickers and QB's. Yahoo leaves almost NONE of this to the individual. It's as if they are so worried that people will quit because their team stinks from lack of draft preparation that they "give everyone the same team!" I think everyone should be responsible for doing their own research, finding the sleepers, watching the positional battles, and assigning their own player rankings ... instead of being a drone in a league where teams all picked by the Yahoo "expert" essentially did it all for you! Anyone agree? Disagree? Know anyone at Yahoo who can make this opinion known? Thanks!
Last edited by rickscogland on Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
rickscogland
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 34=Sweetness » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:07 am

You know, theres a thing called edit player pre rankings. Then you can do it all for yourself. Also, does it matter in a live draft? So make sure you check out all of Yahoos features before complaining about next time.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Yahoo Pre-Rankings

Postby Warpigs » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:08 am

rickscogland wrote:Before spam, popups, and fee's ruined it for me, I always enjoyed Sandbox for fantasy sports. Now I use Yahoo. What I miss most about Sandbox is that Yahoo does the rankings for you! Sandbox used to leave player rankings the way they ended in the previous season and let YOU rank YOUR players so it could truely be YOUR team. With Yahoo, they have an "expert" do YOUR rankings. Now, I understand that their "expert" is not perfect ... there have been some comical examples in the past. However, I'm finding that the later you draft, the more Yahoo corrects them, and by the time a late draft takes place, there is really very little to do. What fun is that? I enjoy draft preparation ... taking the time to bump-up the players whose value has improved or whose health has returned, and bump-down those whose situation/health/age has worsened. I enjoy bumping up the RB's and bumping down the kickers and QB's. Yahoo leaves almost NONE of this to the individual. It's as if they are so worried that people will quit because their team stinks from lack of draft preparation that they "give everyone the same team!" I think everyone should be responsible for doing their own research, finding the sleepers, watching the positional battles, and assigning their own player rankings ... instead of being a drone in a league where teams all picked by the Yahoo "expert" essentially did it all for you! Anyone agree? Disagree? Know anyone at Yahoo who can make this opinion known? Thanks!

Just make your own prerankings in Yahoo before the draft. It's actually pretty easy with the setup they have.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby rickscogland » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:10 am

34=Sweetness wrote:You know, theres a thing called edit player pre rankings. Then you can do it all for yourself. Also, does it matter in a live draft? So make sure you check out all of Yahoos features before complaining about next time.

DUDE!!! I understand that you can edit their pre-rankings!!! I may not have made that clear enough. I'm saying that the expert makes it close enough to being done that you don't need to do enough. Why do I need an expert to pre-rank my pre-rankings? I want myself and others in my league to do it on our own, so it truely is OUR thinking 100% ... not the expert's thinking 90% with our final touches adding a tidbit of input.
rickscogland
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Re: Yahoo Pre-Rankings

Postby rickscogland » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:12 am

Warpigs wrote:Just make your own prerankings in Yahoo before the draft. It's actually pretty easy with the setup they have.

Like I said, I understand how Yahoo works ... I've played it for years. I promise I'll make my point very clear next time.
rickscogland
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby 34=Sweetness » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:16 am

I dont think their rankings are close to mine. They overvalue QBs and such. The kickers and Ds are way too high. I like their rankings, it gives me a base idea for mine and then I fiddle to where I like it.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Autodraft Complaint

Postby DraftDodger » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:54 am

I think the complaint here is forced parity, not unlike the NFL's. The better Yahoo (or any league) does with their pre-rankings, the better chance that somebody totally clueless will be able to compete with a seasoned fantasy football player. The feeling is "If I'm reading every article I can find on the players, checking past stats on the NFL site, and keeping up with breaking news, why should somebody who's doing none of those things have the same drafting advantage that I do?"

The question is, what's the alternative? Would you rather that Yahoo made really stupid picks for anyone who didn't set their own pre-rankings? That would just guarantee that many teams wouldn't get managed if somebody missed the draft. It's bad enough now with people who don't tend their teams on free leagues; it would be much worse if the autodrafting sucked.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:55 am

Yahoo rankings are like gold. Why buy draft guides when Yahoo ranks the players perfectly for you?

I propose a challenge. A 10 person league. 9 people draft however they want. I will only click the "Suggest" button and have Yahoo pick the dudes for me.

I will win the league.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:05 am

No you wont because it will fill out your starting lineup before going for depth. So in rounds 8-9 your taking a kicker and D and you have no depth at WR or RB. One injury and you are finished.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:12 am

34=Sweetness wrote:No you wont because it will fill out your starting lineup before going for depth. So in rounds 8-9 your taking a kicker and D and you have no depth at WR or RB. One injury and you are finished.

I'll take my chances....and the POT of MONEY!
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk