Some Good News - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Some Good News

Moderator: Football Moderators

Some Good News

Postby aussieboy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:28 am

Apparently the NFL is enforcing a rule that forces NFL teams to be honest with players injuries.

Check it out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1860534
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:31 am

If people can't trust the injury reports then they will not bet on the NFL. IF they can't bet they won't watch.

The NFL is the king of sports TV because of betting, they want to keep it that way.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Warpigs » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:34 am

It will be nice if we all get specific information -- but being ambiguous was part of the game strategy in the past for coaches. I see them continuing to find ways to keep from being specific with an injury or situation if at all possible. However, we can all hope that we'll have better ideas on what's ailing our fantasy stars this year.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:22 am

The NFL needs to realize that it is letting the tail wag the dog. The gamblers and FFers are not going to go away if the league decides that it is nobody's business who is injured or not. This would really suck, but what football reason is there to do this? It goes against logic that a team would tell the other teams that so and so has a rib injury. How does Tagliaboob justify risking futher injury to a player (the reason why most people watch is to see the best players) and helping an opposing team to prepare. Is anyone investigating Tagliaboob and the NFL league offices for gambling ties? And if not, why not?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby maddog60 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:35 am

This is one of the stupidest things the commish has done so far. I love how all the analysts on espn were saying how Shanahan is going to hate this ruling. You know what, anyone who gives a hoot about the players should despise this ruling. Look back to what Shanahan did last year.

His starting QB got injured.
He knew his backups pretty much sucked.
He realized he may just have to play Plummer if the game is on the line.
He decided not to accurately report the injury, because the opposing defensive coordinator would've had everyone gunning for Plummer's injured shoulder if Plummer had to go in.

Now the question is, why should he have to announce what happened? Other than bookies, and the opposing team, who benefits from this knowledge. Relatives of the injured player are really the only ones that have a valid right to know exactly what happened, and they I am sure could easily get in contact with someone who can inform them of the situation.

But the rest of us, do we need to know anything further than "So-and-so is out with an injury and may not be back until the half..." etc? The answer: no. After the game, after the time period when revealing the information may put the player at risk, then the public can know, but by no means are we really entitled to it. You cant very well go into a hospital and demand to see the medical records on a patient just because you're interested in what is wrong with them.

This same logic of protecting the players was also employed by Andy Reid. It was 2-3 weeks before the Eagles even put a splint on McNabb's thumb, and even then they tried not to mention it. It makes perfect sense that Reid didn't say a word in the beginning of the season (especially with the Defense's they faced), protecting McNabb from having people aiming for his thumb while he was playing injured.

Wow, didn't mean to turn this post into a rant, but the short of it is, this ruling is bad for games, bad for players, and just bad for the NFL.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jmo » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:47 am

Guys, football is not for the players, it is for the customers. Gamblers, FFers, Girls who want to impress their men, and straight fans are all customers. Tags is just working for the good of the sport, because what is good for the customer, IS good for the sport. What do I care if defenses are gunning for Plummer's shoulder, if his own coach will throw him out there with an injury, that's his problem. If he doesn't want him to get hurt, pull him. Do a better job at having depth. It's up to the players to protect themselves.
Roster: 12 Team League
QB: Palmer, Plummer
RB: S. Alexander, J. Lewis, J Jones, S Jackson, Gado
WR: Mason, R Williams, Engram, Chatman, Ferguson
TE: Witten
DEF: Jax
K: Stover
jmo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:30 pm

So assuming that you are a gambler or a FF player, you are saying the if you don't get injury reports that you will not bet or play? Football is for the consumers, and the consumers want to see the best teams and players. Putting them at increased risk of futhering a pre-existing injury is not going to help the player or, ultimately, the consumer. The only reason I can see for injury disclosure is that the bookmakers have got something on the NFL, be it some sort of a long term agreement or dirt on NFL bigwigs.
I also love that the NFL is all about families so we don't show nearly as much cheerleader action(not that anyone want to see that) but gambling is okay! There is something very wrong in the NFL commissioner's office.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:00 pm

Mooch, you have some strange world views.

The NFL is the most successful professional sports league (by a long shot) because of its great commissioners and the influence of sports betting.

I don't know what you have against wagering. It is legal, encouraged by the govt and sports betting has been around since the chariot races in the Colesium.

What happens if the rules requiring disclosure of injuries were removed? Insiders would have confidential information. Some people would have an advantage in wagering and football would become tainted and would lose credibility. Increased secrecy leads to corruption.

It would also hurt the fanstasy sports enthusiasts. Would you play ff if you didn't know who would be starting? What kind of a game would it be if you did not know on Sunday at 12 noon whether Vick would be starting or not? What if you didn't know whether LT had broken his leg or just suffered a bone bruise.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MadScott » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:05 pm

Whether they want to admit it or not, gambling on the NFL is HUGE. I'm sure that there was pressure exerted in some way, shape or form to get this to come to the forefront. Either that or Tags has got a hundy on the Ravens this season to take it all. ;-7
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jumpman8828 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:10 pm

I came into this thread thinking you saved a bunch of money on your car insurance by switching to Geico.

Overall, I think this is a great rule. I agree with Mookie on this--insiders would have big advantages over the general betting public and skew the gambling world, which would make it more "wrong" than it is now.
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk