Some Good News - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Some Good News

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:16 pm

All they're saying is that the injury reports have to be more specific - ie, instead of saying simply leg injury, must now say what part of the leg such as ankle sprain. And there must be a Friday update now. This went through the competition committee which includes coaches Jeff Fisher and Mike Holmgren.

How this is somehow proof of some giant conspiracy between Tagliabue and gamblers is just a ridiculous conspiracy theory. Next you'll tell me the U.S. faked the moon landing, and JFK, Elvis, and Jim Morrison are all alive and sharing a house in Michigan. Sorry, don't buy it - it just doesn't wash.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 34=Sweetness » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:21 pm

THE LIZARD KING LIVES! :-D
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BigMusky » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:54 pm

I see this having no effect what so every on any part of the game. They have to make there reports by Wednesday instead of Friday...so Shannahan can still lie at halftime and say he is benching Plummer for a stubbed toe even though he really lost a leg. I read this a day or two ago, so maybe I did not read into it enough. It should help though with the starting guys for the Thursday night games!
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:02 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Mooch, you have some strange world views.

The NFL is the most successful professional sports league (by a long shot) because of its great commissioners and the influence of sports betting.

I don't know what you have against wagering. It is legal, encouraged by the govt and sports betting has been around since the chariot races in the Colesium.

What happens if the rules requiring disclosure of injuries were removed? Insiders would have confidential information. Some people would have an advantage in wagering and football would become tainted and would lose credibility. Increased secrecy leads to corruption.

It would also hurt the fanstasy sports enthusiasts. Would you play ff if you didn't know who would be starting? What kind of a game would it be if you did not know on Sunday at 12 noon whether Vick would be starting or not? What if you didn't know whether LT had broken his leg or just suffered a bone bruise.

I'm not saying that football hasn't benifited greatly by gambling, that's a no-brainer. I also love football and FF, why else would I be here, and I would hate it if there were no injury reports. I really don't have any desire for anything to change. It just strikes me as odd how the NFL commissioner's office would find it so important to disclose injuries. I do believe there are rules prohibiting employees of NFL teams from gambling on football, but then the league acts in a way that obviously endorses it. If the league does it to prevent inside info and curruption, why wait until Friday? I know plenty of people who bet before Friday so inside info would still have value.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby hander99 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:22 am

Mooch...just stop talking while you are still behind. I don't feel like commenting on your longwinded rants when Mookie laid it out for you. Just move on to a new thread and spare us all.
hander99
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby biju » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:24 am

Mookie4ever wrote:The NFL is the most successful professional sports league (by a long shot) because of its great commissioners and the influence of sports betting.

I'm sure when you say this you mean the the USA, right? :-D Otherwise we're talking about football (soccer) being the most successfull...and this is really by a longshot.

Mookie4ever wrote:It would also hurt the fanstasy sports enthusiasts. Would you play ff if you didn't know who would be starting? What kind of a game would it be if you did not know on Sunday at 12 noon whether Vick would be starting or not? What if you didn't know whether LT had broken his leg or just suffered a bone bruise.

No offense, but this isn't necessarily a good argument. Beside the fact that coaches could care less if their non-disclosure hurt fantasy sports or betting habits, most injuries are still required to have a tag of "severity". I highly doubt you've questioned in prior years starting a player that has an injury and is considered "probable". On a side note, I also doubt you've started someone listed as "doubtful".

Does this really change anything anyway? Where's the checks to make sure that a lower left leg injury isn't an upper leg injury, or whatever. The coaches will learn to beat the system through grey areas, so I don't understand the motive. All motives through the commissioner should make the game more interesting for viewers (specifically the fans that pay to watch the game live) or make the league more competitive.

I don't see either in this situation.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk