Fantasy Stock Watch - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fantasy Stock Watch

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fantasy Stock Watch

Postby Franchise Fan » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:33 am

Hey, its me again with another Fantasy Stock Watch.

Heres my thoughts based on the past week or so:
Rising
+ David Carr: To get complements on your game is one thing, but to get them from the team you just beat is another. Dat Nguyen was just one of the Cowboys players who mentioned how good Carr has become, Nguyen said that Carr is going to be one of the top QBs in the near future... All good signs for Fantasy fans who have Carr on their bench. Things are looking up, and it sounds like he will leave you with no worries when he fills in for your starter in their bye week.

+ Tyrone Wheatley: Ill be honest, I have this guy on my bench, because I believe he will play well under Norv. He looked solid against the Niners and should hold onto his starting job. I would take Wheatley late, and if you dont have him already pick him up and drop someone you dont need. Fargas who? Tyrone is often overlooked, and is a more sure bet than tony hollings or hearst or bell.

+ Sean Taylor: For the IDP leagues, Taylor is looking to be sick. This kid is a STAR. I dont care what season it is, 3 turnovers in your first two NFL games is phenomenal. Safteys in the Roy Williams mold are becoming more common and have shown to be Studs.
Williams 6-0 235
Taylor 6-2 231
I can't wait to see more safteys of this size with speed like these two, hard hits are only going to get better as more and more of this 230 safteys come out of college, but for now, put your money on These two to lead fantasy at the saftey position, with Ed Reed and Brian Dawkins(and his injuries) close behind.

+ Steven Jackson: With the backup spot now his, and Marshall being called "not ready physically" by his own coach, I think its about time to start taking Jackson as your fourth and possible third back. Every week things only get better for him...

+ Ravens Defense: Put the Ravens D at the top of your list now. Forget about the Madden Curse, were talking about Ray Lewis here, and with talk of Deion Sanders returning, you cant even think about putting New England above Baltimore. Not to add to the fact that New England was especially lucky in turnovers last season and in games where their defense was aided by severe weather. Also, Sanders isnt just another body on the field, if he decides to play for them, count on his still being fast. Right now he is taking two weeks to work on conditioning and then will decide on whether or not he will come back to the NFL.

Falling

- Eddie George: Not only did Julius Jones look good, and not only did parcells call Julius "elusive", but Eddie managed 12 yards on 5 carries against the Texans. Right now, I would rather have Julius on my bench than Eddie.

- Jerome Bettis: Almost in the exact same situation as Eddie. Old player who used to be at the top of the league, now being shown up by new talent. Bettis managed a pitiful 5 yards on 5 carries. Duce is the starter, no question about it. Whoever said 50/50 must be hiding right now...

- Tony Hollings:This guy went from being the next big sleeper to the next big bust. Hollings should no longer be considered in 10 team leagues or less. Maybe take him in a 12 team, and if he is there late in a 14 team he might be an ok pickup to hold onto for a week, but three fumbles is never good, so shy away from this one.

Drop/Add

Drop Patrick Ramsey if you were the skins fan who grabbed him in the last round of your draft. This guy has almost no hope of starting this year.

Drop Ben Troupe if you were waiting for him to breakout in Tennesee. Hes the number 3 on the DC and dont expect him to ever make it to number 1.

Add Julius Jones if he is still on the WW from when Eddie signed, Signs point to him being the starter.

Add Marcus Robinson if you need a sleeper in your 8-10 team league. Dont wait too long though, Moss has shown in the past that Minn. is a one WR team, and fantasy production across from Moss has been terrible in the past.

Drop any of the Miami RBs or "possible Miami RBs" for this season. They all look awful, and are not worth the trouble.

Add Teyo Johnson if you like waiting for sleepers. This 6'6 monster TE could just be the starter by week 3, and has shown skill in the preseason.
Franchise Fan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

CafeholicGraphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby aussieboy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:41 am

Great Post. ;-D

Agreed with everything you wrote.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:46 am

David Carr is garbage. He hasn't done jack in the NFL yet.

And you're really going out on a limb to pick the Baltimore D. What a scoop!

Also, the falling guys are all old. It's easy to choose old guys. Why don't you add Vinny, Tim Brown, Jerry Rice to that list of geriatics too?
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Franchise Fan » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:49 am

Yea :-) Tony Hollings is over the hill :-t . And you can call Carr garbage all you want, but it wont change what I said about him. I do believe that he is not bad at all to have on your bench. And by Carr being garbage, I suppose you must have Andre Johnson out of the top 20 recievers, because there is no way he can break the top 20 with garbage throwing to him.... Get a life, go knock on someone elses post.
Last edited by Franchise Fan on Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franchise Fan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby 34=Sweetness » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:49 am

Tony Hollings is in his 2nd NFL season, in which he missed the first from a serious knee injury......
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Turnip » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:52 am

Good read;

I wouldn't drop Minor yet. 5 carries is what you call a small sample size.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:53 am

Franchise Fan wrote:Yea :-) Tony Hollings is over the hill :-t . And you can call Carr garbage all you want, but it wont change what I said about him. I do believe that he is not bad at all to have on your bench. And by Carr being garbage, I suppose you must have Andre Johnson out of the top 20 recievers, because there is no way he can break the top 20 with garbage throwing to him.... Get a life, go knock on someone elses post.

You can easily break the top 20 in receiving by having garbage throwing to him. You remember last year, right? It's called Jeff Blake to Anquan Boldin. It's called Tommy Saddox to Hines Ward.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby 34=Sweetness » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:57 am

ARGGGH garbage time is so overblown! You still have to have talent to get open, catch the ball, run good routes and such. Its not like I could go to the Arizona Cardinals and put up good numbers. Also, last time I checked, in fantasy, garbage time points are still POINTS!
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:59 am

34=Sweetness wrote:ARGGGH garbage time is so overblown! You still have to have talent to get open, catch the ball, run good routes and such. Its not like I could go to the Arizona Cardinals and put up good numbers. Also, last time I checked, in fantasy, garbage time points are still POINTS!

I called Carr garbage. I mentioned nothing of garbage time points. Maybe that was too confusing, so here we go: Carr is a no-talent clown who will not touch any roster in my highly competitive league.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Franchise Fan » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:01 am

So your saying Carr is a terrible quaterback, and wont suffice as a backup at all. But if you look at last year, Maddox would have been an OK backup, he finished 16th. Blake also was top 20 when he was a starter. He finished 22 in fantasy points for Qbs and that was with McCown taking many of the snaps. So you must be saying that Carr with finish out of the top 20 Qbs to call him a trash QB and trash backup correct?
Franchise Fan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk