How long can I wait to take a QB? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How long can I wait to take a QB?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How long can I wait to take a QB?

Postby Mason » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:53 am

Here's what I'm worried about. I want to wait until the late 6th round to pick up a QB (Brooks, etc) in my 12 team league, but worry that he and everyone else may be gone by then. My other option is early 5th (I'm #2 overall) but that's probably too early for that tier of guys.

I think that the top 12-13 QB's are all acceptable, but am worried that there may be a nontraditional run on quaterbacks (and mabye even backups) before I get to my late 6th round pick. At what number of them gone, if any, do I start to worry and take one in the early 5th? If I don't take one, I'm assuming that I will take a 3rd RB with the 50th overall pick (and then have 3 RB's and 2 WR's) and looking at mabye Griffin, Suggs, Dunn or George. Any thought of who I should take?
Mason
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:57 am

Wait as long as you can on a QB. You can wait for Gannon in the 15th round if you want. I got Pennington in the 7th in my first draft and filled my starting RBs and WRs first.

Don't fear something that won't happen. Usually what happens is a run of RBs for the first 2 rounds, then a run of WRs with sporadic QBs and WRs (and that one dude who takes Winslow). After the run of the first 4 QBs, you can wait a while to pick yours.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mikehunt » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:01 am

I have to go from my last years draft on this due to not having done this years at all. I experienced a Mad rush for Qbs in the 3rd round last year but I wait and my friend waited till sixth round. My friend managed to draft pennington and if you can believe it McNair. I only needed a back up and landed Harrington. Which if you go by this year are some high QB's.

I think that you can manage to out draft you oppentents by picking a qb in the 5th round or sixth round. Even if there is a rush, chances are they only draft one qb at that point. and you can get more depth in key potions.

Mike
mikehunt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dub-Dub » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:09 am

have you played with these owners before? I know my league, and they know me. I am a "QB waiter" but it amazes me that some owners will be into their 2nd QBs early... early, early... I't has always allowed me to be deep at other positions, but I get screwed at QB, and have to trade eventually...

I know it has been said 1000 times, but each draft is different... don't cast your plan in stone. When it comes to the 4th round or so make your decision. Constant evaluation of value. It is good to have a plan but it is better to have multiple plans. I always set my draft up as "If.... Then..." and "IF not... then..." based on who I think will/could be available.
Dub-Dub
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby DraftDodger » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:10 am

In mock drafts,

Trent Green, Brett Favre, Tom Brady, and Aaron Brooks are usually available in the seventh round. Plummer may be kicking around there too sometimes.

Not sure if this will be true of a real draft, but I think you're definitely safe taking a QB in the sixth and there should be somebody decent left if you take one in the seventh. It might be difficult to get a good backup QB if you draft QBs late. Any time after you get your starting RBs and WRs, you can grab a QB. If you don't see much difference in who's available, let them slip another round.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Andy1234 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:16 pm

You should be fine at round 6, If everyone already has a QB you could wait even longer, last year evey team had a QB by round 6 so I waited untill round 11 to draft a QB (after the other 13 teams picked a starter and right as the back-ups started to go) and ended up with Hasselback, who I would have drafted in round 6.
Stewie: [hitting on some co-eds] I must say, the most recent campus sporting event was quite spectacular.
Co-ed: Aw. Are you in a fraternity, little boy?
Stewie: Not yet, but I'm thinking of joining I Felta Thigh.
Andy1234
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Johnny Unitas » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:26 pm

Unless you really have a hard-on for a top QB like Manning or Culpepper.....wait!!!

I always do unless I draft near the bottom of a 12 team league, when generally all the no-brainer stud backs are gone, then take Moss or Manning,but I hate to do that!

Load up on backs this year especially, cuz I believe the middle round receivers are just as good as the top notch receivers other than Moss, who is in a league of his own.

I am focusing in on Pennington, who I think will have a monster season, as good as or better than the top QB's, & it seems likely you can grab him in the 5th, 6th, & maybe 7th round.......A big key to any draft, which most guys don't do is to write down every players picks in your league as they drop on some type of spreadsheet instead of just crossing off their name from a cheatsheet, that way you know your competitions needs as the draft progresses.....that way you can make a much better "educated decision" on whether or not you can wait another round on a position, or that key player you are targeting!

If for some reason Pennington gets snatched up before I take him, there's no need to panic cuz players like Brady are generally still out there in the 7th round area, as well as a few QB's I think will break out & become mid to late round steals, like Leftwich, Carr, Harrington, & McCown......they won't be that far away in fantasy points from the top QB's, meanwhile, you have a stable of running backs from the early rounds....good luck
Johnny Unitas
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Johnny Unitas » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:35 pm

By the way, Its not necessary to take a back-up QB all the time, unless you have a real cup-cake with injury tendancies......the reason is this: It happens every year, I've seen it many times, some back-up or schmuck who wasn't even drafter emerges in week 2 or 3 and goes off!

Take last year.....who honestly wanted Kitna other than Bengals fans or Maddox the year before that other than Steeler fans???
Johnny Unitas
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Azrael » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:42 pm

I agree. If you are targeting a QB in the 6th round, there should be quite a few nice ones left yet.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Paladyr » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:57 pm

I like Steve McNair in the 5th:

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... .php?f=108

I took him there and his points per game from last year was only 1 pt lower than daunte while aaron brooks and the like are all 3 pts lower than mcnair.

I did however wait for the run on QBs. It looked like it was going to start but then after i picked it fizzled and then picked up again in the 6th.
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk