How long can I wait to take a QB? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How long can I wait to take a QB?

Moderator: Football Moderators

qb's

Postby oklobbyist » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:04 pm

Watch who your other gm's take. If they've all taken their first qb, then you're probably safe to wait until it comes back to you in the 6th. I drafted fourth in my 12-team league and got Pennington at the end of the sixth round...and Garcia in the 10th! If you can afford to wait, take rb's in the first two rounds without fail and an top-drawer wr in the 3rd and then look to fill out your wr's in the 4th and 5th (or take your third rb). Tight ends go in the 10th round+, defenses 12th+ and kickers after that. Good luck.
oklobbyist
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moose_ffc » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:21 pm

Just relax. It takes a cool and steady hand to pull off the QB Free Fall. Old article from last year, but the same rings true. Hasselback was a good late pick last year. Warner didn't pan out, but you were still able to get Bulger late and he panned out too. The same will happen this season. Hey, last year even Kitna was serviceable. Players that don't look that sexy now will look pretty good come the end of the season. Wait and see.
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby PHI » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:01 am

In a draft a few years ago, I waited until the 10th round of a 14 round draft to pick my first QB. Drafted a backup in the 11th or 12th and picked another up in free agency after week 5. These were the only 3 QB's on my roster at any point during the season. I took the championship home at season's end. :-D
It can't always be done, but the main thing is keep with your rankings. Don't let a run on a position force you to change your strategy or rankings. When you reach to fill a position, you're only hurting yourself in the long run.
Fantasy Football Junkies Anonymous meetings held weekly on Sundays... and Mondays... and sometimes Thursdays.
PHI
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby moose_ffc » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:09 am

PHI wrote:In a draft a few years ago, I waited until the 10th round of a 14 round draft to pick my first QB. Drafted a backup in the 11th or 12th and picked another up in free agency after week 5. These were the only 3 QB's on my roster at any point during the season. I took the championship home at season's end. :-D
It can't always be done, but the main thing is keep with your rankings. Don't let a run on a position force you to change your strategy or rankings. When you reach to fill a position, you're only hurting yourself in the long run.

Preach on! Preach on! ;-D

Just for the record. I think McNabb will be huge this year, but I still won't draft him at the end of 2nd or begining of 3rd because too many other QBs will be floating out there.
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Mason » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:42 am

OK, I'm going to try it. The only other factor is that we are only drafting for 12 rounds. This may move selections up a little bit, but also leaves a lot of good players on the WW.
Mason
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby cwhitty » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:59 am

I got Pennington in the 8th and Brady in the 12th.
QB-C. Pennington,T. Brady
RB-D.McAllister,F.Taylor,K.Jones&T.J.Duckett,O.Smith
WR-C.Johnson,M.Harrisson,R.Wayne,D.Stallworth,
D.Branch
TE-A.Crumpler
K-Josh Brown
Def-Minnesota
cwhitty
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Wesley Walker » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:33 am

I got Pennington in the 5th, Brady in the 8th and Gannon in the 10th, but all could well have dropped deeper than that. I've only been in one draft thus far this year, but here are the complete QB draft spots (10-team league):

Culpepper -- Round 1 (stupid -- Barlow, Faulk, Moss, S Davis all still available)

Vick -- Rnd 2

McNabb -- Rnd 3

McNair, Hasselbeck -- Rnd 4

Pennington -- Rnd 5

Favre -- Rnd 6

T Green, Brooks, Bulger -- Rnd 7 (Why do people love Brooks so much?)

Brady -- Rnd 8 (A steal)

Garcia -- Rnd 9

Gannon -- Rnd 10

Plummer, Delhomme -- Rnd 11

Bledsoe -- Rnd 12

Harrington -- Rnd 13

Brad Johnson -- Rnd 14

Analyze that...
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dub-Dub » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:13 am

Yea Pennington went 7th in mine... Plummer too.
Dub-Dub
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 9er Fan » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:35 pm

Top-10 QBs are plucked off waivers every year... You could probably get B. Johnson in the 12+ round, and handcuff him with Chris Simms off waivers. IMHO, TB is going to put up some pretty sick passing stats this year.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk