Travis Minor - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Travis Minor

Moderator: Football Moderators

Travis Minor

Postby SuperFly_ffc » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:48 pm

Anyone heard anything about him, seen him play?
All the press was about this Fred Russell performance against the third string defense in the later part of the game-
SuperFly_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:54 pm

I had a similar question, I posted this over in the Miami Forum and didnt get a response. Its more about the o-line, but that really will determine who Minor does

Flux the stud wrote:Carey has been moved from Right Tackle to Right Guard b/c he supposedly has been dissapointing

link: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2004/08/17/a10c_finsnotes_0817.html

In the same article though, they say that John St Clair has been looking really good at right tackle, and that was part of the reason for the move. Carey now has a pretty decent chance of starting.

For those of you who saw the MIA vs JAX game, was the line really as bad as the rushing stats showed?

Did Vernon Carey start the game, or was he in w/ the 2nd string unit? and how did he look?

If Carey moves over to guard, I think the O-line looks pretty good, and HUGE

LT - Wade Smith - 6'4 315
LG - Jeno James - 6'4 315
C - Seth McKinney - 6'3 305
RG - Vernon Carey - 6'4 325
RT - John St Clair - 6'5 315

That line averages 6'4 and 315 lbs. How is it possible that they cant push the D-line at all? Is there something going on that isnt really talked about there, b/c you would think this line could very well be dominating
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SuperFly_ffc » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:19 pm

Yeah I find that hard to believe that the line is as bad as people are talking about-

What about his skills? I mean I know that he's out of Florida State.... Does the man have talent?

He didn't do well in the first preseason game, but then again it's preseason-
SuperFly_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Flux » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:47 pm

I think Minor has some skill and word out of camp was he was looking pretty good. But then the game happened and all of a sudden people are really down on him

there is another discussion here http://fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67958 but it didnt really look like people who saw the game were posting
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Super Friends » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:05 pm

I just have a hard time believing Miami won't try to acquire a better option at running back. I'm glad my draft isn't until Sept 5th so I can see how the whole situation plays out.
"If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions." - Jules Winnfield
The Super Friends
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby IRON CHEF » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:10 pm

The Super Friends wrote:I just have a hard time believing Miami won't try to acquire a better option at running back. I'm glad my draft isn't until Sept 5th so I can see how the whole situation plays out.

I would venture to guess the Phins stick with what they got. Is it that hard to imagine that they could tough it out for a year? I think they may realize at this point that their playoff hopes are slim, and are probably aiming toward the future by keeping Minor, in essence leaving them a chance to acquire Edge or possilbly another top back like Henry in the offseason.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SuperFly_ffc » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:00 pm

Yeah I think that are probably going to stick it out with what they have and possible go after edge or travis henry next year-

Thanks for the link-
SuperFly_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby SuperFly_ffc » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:08 pm

BTW Flux:

I see all of your points and think that Minor would make a great sleeper pick-

bungle613 wrote:
I wouldn't think so.

1) A horrible line that even gave Ricky nightmares.

The line is better than it was last year, they had additions of Vernon Carey, Jeno James, John St Clair all of whom are improvements.

Quote:
2) Minor is not durable. Very high injury risk

He hasnt missed a game in the NFL, how is he a high injury risk? His size 5'10 and 205 isnt much different than most backs in the NFL

Quote:
3) Will most likely get spelled by Morris or maybe even Henry.

There really arent any RBs that dont get spelled during a game. Nobody is expecting Minor to get 400 carries, getting spelled is normal in the NFL

Quote:
4) The guy just isn't very good. Is not an NFL calibre rb.

How is he not very good? He hasnt even had a chance to prove himself. I dont know if he can carry the load or not, but how is that different than say Q. Griffin, or KJ, or TJ, or C. Brown or whoever else? He was a 3rd rd pick, i dont think that equates to not being very good

What i do know is that Minor has a career average of 4.5 ypc behind that same O-line that Ricky struggled with. He can catch the ball well, as he put up 29 receptions in 2001 w/ very limited playing time.

The kind of RB Minor is may be better for MIA's line than the power back. The line does have holes, there is no denying that, but Minor would be able to reverse angles and get to the outside quicker than Ricky could. He is also a better receiver, so when the line breaks down Fiedler or AJ can look to him to dump it off to.

There were reports earlier that Wanstedt was going to give Minor 20 or so touches a game. If he holds true to that and gives Minor enough of a chance to show himself, I easily could see 900 or so yards rushing and another 400 receiving with 5-7 TDs thrown in there. 1300 total yards isnt out of the question at all IMO, thats only 56 yds rushing a game and 25 receiving. Cant at all complain about that as a #3 RB with potential to be a #2.
SuperFly_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jumpman8828 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:57 pm

Flux the stud? Am I the only one who caught that? :-b
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby terpfan » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:06 pm

dont forget about sammy morris. hes supposed to be pretty talented and should get some significant time this season.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk