Will there be a wide receiver blow up this year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Will there be a wide receiver blow up this year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Will there be a wide receiver blow up this year?

Postby Azrael » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:45 pm

With all the talk of the referees strictly enforcing illegal contact this year after 5 yards, do you this will lead to an overall stat padding for WR? Will we see a record number of guys catching 10+ TDs with gaudy catches and yardage amounts? Or will the refs layoff after awhile...or will they not call it at all?

I personally think they will start off heavy on it and see what kind of reaction it illicits from the teams and if it starts bogging down the play of the game. If the former is something short of everyone hating it and the latter does not occur I think they will keep it up because it should eventually make the passing game more wide open.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jumpman8828 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:52 pm

From a fantasy perspective, I sure hope it pads receivers stats.
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:53 pm

i was thinking about this pretty hard the last few days,and I think it's making it easier to take a top receiver such as Moss after the big 6 backs are gone.Honestly,Moss can be as good as a #1 back with these new rules,so why not?Especially in flex leagues,you may even go 2 top receivers if you are in the bottom half of your draft.Of course,this may blow up in your face if the refs don't actually enforce it,or lay off it near the playoffs,but it is something to consider.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Gunslinger » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:00 pm

I figured it would help even the field for the smaller/less physical WRs some, but I think it's more likely to be called less as the season wears on.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

I wouldn't get TOO carried away

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:00 pm

VERY good question! Personally i will believe it when i see it. Every year it seems like whether in football(this 5 yard thing), Baseball(the strikezone), or Basketball(travelling,double dribbling,etc;) every year it seems like in every sport they "focus" on something. In most if not all cases it doesn't last. For a few weeks you see a consistent strikezone, lots of travelling calls, or whatever. Slowly but surely though things inevitably return to normal and it wears off. I fully expect for the first few weeks you will see a lot of it, but then it will chill out and more or less go back to normal.

just my opinion

INKcogKNEEdough
"THERE WAS SHRINKAGE!!!!!" - George costanza
INKcogKNEEdough
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 34=Sweetness » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:06 pm

I think this will make WR deeper, because more guys who can be had in the later rounds will put up good numbers, which would make them worth even less then RBs value wise.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mnheadliner » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:04 am

totally agrees with 34-sweet
mnheadliner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: I wouldn't get TOO carried away

Postby Impressionable » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:41 am

INKcogKNEEdough wrote:VERY good question! Personally i will believe it when i see it. Every year it seems like whether in football(this 5 yard thing), Baseball(the strikezone), or Basketball(travelling,double dribbling,etc;) every year it seems like in every sport they "focus" on something. In most if not all cases it doesn't last. For a few weeks you see a consistent strikezone, lots of travelling calls, or whatever. Slowly but surely though things inevitably return to normal and it wears off. I fully expect for the first few weeks you will see a lot of it, but then it will chill out and more or less go back to normal.

just my opinion

INKcogKNEEdough

The problem with the examples you give is that they aren't always tangible. For example, the strikezone is extremely hard to call from a judgement standpoint, and even the keenest eye may have trouble trying to follow a 90 mph curve, the strike zone is not easy to call, if it was, players would have no trouble with strikeouts. In basketball, they have 3 refs that have to follow everything, and some players are so quick it may look like they travel when they don't, and that 1-1/2 step rule starts getting harder and harder to call. Headfakes, ball fakes, jumping up for dunks, etc. may all look like traveling but under closer review, it isn't, and vice versa.

The 5 yard rule is easier, it is more tangible. You have lines ref who's job is specifically to measure yards, and it's not too difficult to tell where 5 yards from scrimmage is. And seeing if a player is being roughed up is easier to catch than a split second fastball, or a jab step with the ball.

With the new rules, I expect a lot of receivers to benefit, but I definitely expect route runners to do well. These players depend on timing and precision, being right where they need to be for the QB to make a quick read and chuck the ball. What comes to mind is the Rams, where they've had people rough up their receivers down field to knock them out of the routes and mess up timing with their QB. Things like that will be called more tight.
[[Placeholder]]
Impressionable
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:26 am

Being a 'point of emphasis' in the league I don't know what to think. It sounds great and all, but I don't see how they are going to call everything. It may end up being like holding which happens about on every play, so the blatant ones will get called, but they aren't going to drag the game down to a standstill.

I think the speedsters have a lot to gain from this enforcement, if done properly. There were some games last year when the holding really needed to be called more. The Pats-Colts playoff game rings a bell. Yes, they have a great def, but there was clearly a lot of holding going on.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big Pimpin' » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:27 pm

my preliminary thinking on this is that it would help smaller recievers like smoss and such to get away from the clutching and grabbing. i didn't think guys like rmoss would be affected by the rule because they are bigger and can fight through easier. i guess it doesn't matter though, if you are being held, you are being held, whether you are big or small. i think it will be like the think they did in the nhl with defensemen holding up forecheckers. they will enforce it hard for a couple weeks then back off and enforce it just a little more than they did in the past.

BTW - Swiper, nice team bro. gotta love the #1/#2 guys at every single position. can't complain about that!!
Big Pimpin'
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk