Will there be a wide receiver blow up this year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Will there be a wide receiver blow up this year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby King Titan » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:33 pm

Ty Calico is the answer to the question ....
King Titan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Paladyr » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:49 pm

i don't know about any of the leagues you guys are in, but when a penalty is called, the yards gained don't go to the receiver. I think that will happen more this year which will suck.
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby marvin88 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:45 pm

i'm totally with paladyr. way more yards that no one gets points for. at the beginning you're gonna see a lot of penalties for interference which won't help your yardage and if it happens on td plays then you'll get a goal line run so wrs will be more valuable to nfl teams but not to ff teams. i also agree that it makes wrs deeper 'cause it'll even out the fast little guys with the huge guys to a degree. eventually the league will adjust either by the players figuring it out or the refs giving up and stop calling it and all will be pretty much the same. even if you disagree with me and think this will lead to more points for wrs, that might get you into the playoffs in your league but it won't help you win it 'cause by your playoff rounds the league will have adjusted IMO. that being said if the colts are in the afc championship game against the pats again watch out ty law, you're gonna get torched for 200yds!
marvin88
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Location: wishing i could change my name to canadian colthead.

Postby BigMusky » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:53 pm

it is going to help rookie WR much more then anyone else. Did anyone notice that Boldwin sucked last year when he was split out and had all his success in the slot position where you do not get jammed? The hardest thing for rookies to learn is getting off a jam....any veteran has this mastered and the rule will not drastically change there stats.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:53 pm

Paladyr wrote:i don't know about any of the leagues you guys are in, but when a penalty is called, the yards gained don't go to the receiver. I think that will happen more this year which will suck.
After 1 or 2 weeks, the DBs will realize that they are giving up lots of penalty yardage and are going to start backing off and allowing route runners and speedsters to get open, producing more numbers. It may happen more right at the beginning, but I say that the DBs play off the reciever more because of this, which will mean easier catches and better YAC.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:04 pm

IMO, this new rule, or rather new enforcement of an old rule, means bigger numbers for the smaller, speedster receivers, which in turn slightly lowers the comparative value of the big bodied fight for the reception types... Your T.O.'s are still going to put up the same numbers, but guys like Santana Moss and Steve Smith who make their money off of simply outrunning the coverage will be able to put up the same if not better numbers, early in the season, as your T.O.'s and Andre Johnson's...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:36 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:
Paladyr wrote:i don't know about any of the leagues you guys are in, but when a penalty is called, the yards gained don't go to the receiver. I think that will happen more this year which will suck.
After 1 or 2 weeks, the DBs will realize that they are giving up lots of penalty yardage and are going to start backing off and allowing route runners and speedsters to get open, producing more numbers. It may happen more right at the beginning, but I say that the DBs play off the reciever more because of this, which will mean easier catches and better YAC.

Bingo!But I also believe it will help the physical guys as there is always a certain amount of fighting going on there,so it will look more obvious when they are looking harder for it.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:07 am

marvin88 wrote: that being said if the colts are in the afc championship game against the pats again watch out ty law, you're gonna get torched for 200yds!

I would love to see Law and the cheatin' Pats defensive backs get torched by Manning and the Colts in this year's AFC Championship Game.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Wesley Walker » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:36 am

Sixxgunn wrote:i was thinking about this pretty hard the last few days,and I think it's making it easier to take a top receiver such as Moss after the big 6 backs are gone.Honestly,Moss can be as good as a #1 back with these new rules,so why not?Especially in flex leagues,you may even go 2 top receivers if you are in the bottom half of your draft.Of course,this may blow up in your face if the refs don't actually enforce it,or lay off it near the playoffs,but it is something to consider.

The big SIX backs? PH, LT2, DM, SA, AG and who's #6?
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby King Titan » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:21 am

Wesley Walker wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:i was thinking about this pretty hard the last few days,and I think it's making it easier to take a top receiver such as Moss after the big 6 backs are gone.Honestly,Moss can be as good as a #1 back with these new rules,so why not?Especially in flex leagues,you may even go 2 top receivers if you are in the bottom half of your draft.Of course,this may blow up in your face if the refs don't actually enforce it,or lay off it near the playoffs,but it is something to consider.

The big SIX backs? PH, LT2, DM, SA, AG and who's #6?

Chris Brown ....
King Titan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk