Not so fast on Lelie... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Not so fast on Lelie...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Not so fast on Lelie...

Postby Cupertino_11 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:31 am

Darius Watts has been the playmaker thus far in the Broncos training camp and preseason. Where does that leave Ashley Lelie?

From the Denver Post...

Watts, a second-round pick from Marshall, has been one of the standouts of camp. Lelie is the starter, but Watts is outperforming him and could supplant him.

"We have competition there," coach Mike Shanahan said. "Darius will be a starter in the National Football League someday, but right now he is competing, and that's what he's supposed to be doing."

Further suggesting Watts is pushing for major playing time is that he has practiced with the starting unit at X receiver, a shorter route position, while Smith has been in the Z receiver position. Lelie primarily is a Z receiver - more of a deep threat - but Smith is versatile and can play both positions.

"The best two players will play," Shanahan said.

Watts has been the more productive of the two in preseason games, with six receptions for 74 yards. Lelie has yet to catch a pass.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Gunslinger » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:19 am

Wow, I didn't think he stood a chance to win the starting job this year. Thanks for the info, it makes me feel better about trading for him in dynasty. :)
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby IRON CHEF » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:31 am

Gunslinger wrote:Wow, I didn't think he stood a chance to win the starting job this year. Thanks for the info, it makes me feel better about trading for him in dynasty. :)

I was thinking the same thing, surprising that he would have a shot. How has Lelie been looking? Probably isn't looking too well...

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:39 am

i would think this is Lelie's make it or break it year.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Paladyr » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:47 am

Personally I think he's going to break it (lelie).
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby georgiadawg » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:38 pm

it could be that Coach Shannahan is simply trying to motivate and push Lelie by hyping up Watts...
georgiadawg
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby marvin88 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:50 pm

that team scares me so much. they lost 22 of 30 tds with portis and sharpe so someone has to make those scores, but who? i've recently been sold on griffin but for wr smith is old lelie is all potential and watts seems like one of those flash in the pan training camp hype projects. i won't be at all suprised if i'm wrong about everything i just said, but for now i'm leaving their wrs alone unless they really drop.
marvin88
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Location: wishing i could change my name to canadian colthead.

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:52 pm

I've been watching Watts... I'm currently sitting on Rashaun Woods who has had successive hamstring injuries to both hamstrings, and is supposedly #4 behind Lloyd, Wilson, and Conway on the depth chart... Watts, on the other hand is definitely number 3 and is battling Lelie for number 2... I am about this close to switching them out...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Gilbert Brown's jock » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:17 pm

Lelie was a major disappointment last season.

I wouldn't be at all suprised to see Watts get the starting job.
Gilbert Brown's jock
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RWLongy4 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:28 pm

From Fanball
Aug 18 Apparently, wide receiver Ashley Lelie has a sudden challenger for his starting job in emerging second-round rookie Darius Watts. "We have competition there," coach Mike Shanahan told the Denver Post. "The best two players will play."
Views: Gee, we wonder if Lelie's slow start has anything to do with the fact that quarterback Jake Plummer has completed more passes to the other team than to his starting wide receivers. This is just typical Mike Shanahan silliness, and frankly, we're not buying it at all.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Football Talk