Winslow causing waves in Browns camp. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Winslow causing waves in Browns camp.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Winslow causing waves in Browns camp.

Postby Warpigs » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:14 am

Read this on Yahoo a few minutes ago...

Winslow unafraid to make waves

By Brian Windhorst, Beacon Journal staff writer

BEREA - Kellen Winslow has already has created a few controversies in his short time in a Browns uniform.

Not only isn't he apologizing for them, he's declaring them necessary remedy.

Winslow addressed the media Tuesday for the first time since drawing a personal foul for throwing a punch during the preseason opener and creating a stir during Monday's practice when he flattened cornerback Roosevelt Williams in a supposed noncontact drill.

Like the spats with Tennessee Titans safety Lamont Thompson and Williams, the Browns rookie tight end was pulling no punches.

"I wasn't here last year, but they only won five games. I'm not trying to talk them down, but something has to happen," Winslow said. "We need change around here, we need to make an identity for ourselves."

It seems out of the natural order that a rookie, himself on the job for less than a week, would be giving such stirring oratory. \

The cliche is that rookies are to be seen and not heard from.

But Winslow isn't following the script, in practice or, it seems, in leadership.

"My teammates like that type of stuff, I think the Browns need that," Winslow said. "Roosevelt thought (the hit) was unprofessional, but that's the way I am. Not unprofessional, but 100 miles an hour.

"I think he should do the same. I like that, we need that, we need to get fired up."

Whether all of Winslow's comments will be well-received is yet to be seen. Though he got support in the locker room for his hit on Williams, he got some negative reaction as well.

During one tense play at practice Tuesday morning, Winslow got into a heated discussion with defensive lineman Felipe Claybrooks. One thing is for sure -- he's making waves.

"You don't want to take that out of him," safety Robert Griffith said. "Guys have to kick their level up, you know he's coming hard every play. That's why he's the No. 1 pick, that's why he's Kellen Winslow's son."

Winslow even has approached defensive coordinator Dave Campo and suggested he put him on defense at rush end, a position he played in high school. Winslow might be part of the Browns' punt rush, but coach Butch Davis isn't putting him on defense.

But he understands where his rookie is coming from and is trying to guide his intensity.

"He realizes that he has to channel all that passion, energy and electricity that he brings to the game," Davis said. "When we drafted him, those are the things that we wanted."
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:19 am

Remember, hes a mother &%*$ing soldier ( :-b ). I hope someone just lays him out in preseason or the regular season. It'd shut him up pretty quick. I wonder if Kellen Winslow Senior has told his son to stop this.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby AF » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:23 am

Good, somebody needs to wake them up. I don't care if it is a rookie that does it but they play like they don't care. If you watched any of the preseason game you would agree. They couldn't even slow down the Titans offense let alone stop it. One flukeish play where a throw was a little off by McNair and tipped around twice before it was picked off was the only play that the first team D didn't give up at least 5 yards. The first two drives the Titans went something like 120 yards on 8 plays. I know it's just the preseason but they play uninspired football and it's no fun to watch. And the offense couldn't do much either.

Edit: Somebody already has laided him out.
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:45 am

34=Sweetness wrote:Remember, hes a mother &%*$ing soldier ( :-b ). I hope someone just lays him out in preseason or the regular season. It'd shut him up pretty quick. I wonder if Kellen Winslow Senior has told his son to stop this.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Big Pimpin' » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:50 am

nicely done. that is a great clip.
KW2 reminds me of Shockey when he came in. Exactly.
the browns knew what they were getting when they got him. i think this is what they wanted.
Big Pimpin'
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby CC » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:19 am

That's an awesome clip.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby k68 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:01 pm

Great job. must of watched it 10 times. I think he's gonna be good but would love to see this many more times.
k68
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:04 pm

thats a great clip - I hadnt seen that yet. I wonder what its like to be ejected off your feet, arms flailing, hit the ground and look up to see some guy laughing. I bet it isnt anything like what a soldier feels like. :-b
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby jmo » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:08 pm

Man I wish I drafted this kid.
Roster: 12 Team League
QB: Palmer, Plummer
RB: S. Alexander, J. Lewis, J Jones, S Jackson, Gado
WR: Mason, R Williams, Engram, Chatman, Ferguson
TE: Witten
DEF: Jax
K: Stover
jmo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BigMusky » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:20 pm

the best part is your can see him lower his shoulder to make the hit and still got laid out!
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk