Thomas Jones - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thomas Jones

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby DraftDodger » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:46 pm

I hope you guys are right. Hey, I wanna see all the decent RBs the league can produce. With hundreds of experts high on Thomas, I don't blame anyone for jumping on board. And what do I know? I'm not a coach for Chicago or anybody else. If Thomas (hell, either one) can turn his career around, more power to him.

As for Forsey, I stand by my prediction, and I don't pay much attention to the depth charts when it comes to RBs. Remember when Canidate was supposed to be Faulk's backup ... and he wasn't? Remember when Hollings was supposed to be Green's backup ... and he wasn't? The depth chart has more to do with who's getting paid what, or who the owner likes, more than who will actually take over if the starter goes down. If you go out and pay a fortune for some rookie, you have a tendency to list him #2 although he's unlikely to play a game, even in relief. That keeps the fans, the media, and the owner off your back. Meanwhile, you start whoever you think will win games for you.

Some guys are just retreads, and no matter how often you slap some new rubber on 'em, they have broken belts and other defects that will show through in a short time. IMHO Thomas is a retread. That IS just my opinion, but I'm entitled to it. The proof is in the pudding, and if he starts doing lots of endzone dances, I'll nickname him Jello Jones.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Paladyr » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:48 pm

I grabbed TJ at 3.5 in this league:

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=67060
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wizbang » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:11 pm

Jonny B,

My league is much like yours and I too won last year so I know exactly what you're talking about. My league also puts an over-emphisis on RBs which you can use to your advantage (but of course risk getting burned). I think 2.1 is too high for T.Jones and I am somewhat high on the guy. If I were you I would take Dillon over DD but they are all middle tier RBs... borderline #1s and mostly #2s (I consider TJ a solid #2).

At 2.1 though you should have some excellent WR choices available. If any of Moss, Harrison, TO or Holt are available I would take them to complement your 1.12 RB. They are much safer picks IMO (though TO is more risky).

At 3.12 I expect that there will be decent borderline #2 available to fill that spot as those who took RB 1 and 2 try to fill other rolls. I would be patient and see who drops to you at that point (4.1 is a GREAT place to be opportunistic as you're the first guy that can truly afford a luxury pick).

If you take TJ at 2.1 it would be a major reach IMO. That fine if you have a major hunch on the guy since it's probably less than 50-50 that he'll slide to 3.12.

dems my thoughts....

I will say that TJ looked VERY good in Tampa at the end of last season and showed that same explosion in the first preseason game. I probably have him rated higher than most.
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
wizbang
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby fantasyfiend » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:55 pm

he had a 3.3 AYPC at arizona...and a 4.7 AYPC on a team that had some weapons(tampa bay)

now he's in a west coast offense, similiar to what KC and St Louis run.....jones has soft hands and hits holes extremely hard....he's in great shape, and has an oppurtunity to revive his career, with the coaching staff and ownership completely behind him as there feature guy.....

now add that to his physical tools, that landed him a #6 overral pick...and you got the makings for an explosion....preist holmes anybody?
fantasyfiend
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Super Friends » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:55 pm

Even Yahoo appears to be buying into the Thomas Jones hype.

They have him ranked 34th on their “O-Rank”

That’s ahead of players like McNair, Santana Moss, and Trent Green.

I must be missing something. Is this the same guy with 12 career TD’s in 55 games (none of them receiving) and a career 3.8 yards per carry?
"If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions." - Jules Winnfield
The Super Friends
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Azrael » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:21 pm

Forsey won't do anything. And it's simple. Ever hear the phrase "white men can't jump" Well I'm adding "white guys suck at tailback"

Who was the last white guy who was any good at RB, John Riggins?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby 34=Sweetness » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:40 pm

Brock Forsey is white, therefore he will not succeed at tailback. Name all the good white running backs. Hmm, Riggins, umm Czonka, Jim Taylor, Frank Gifford, Red Grange? Also, Marshall Faulk was pretty good in Indy, he just didn't put up numbers like he did on the Rams. Priest Holmes was nothing until he got to the Chiefs.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:54 pm

Azrael wrote:Forsey won't do anything. And it's simple. Ever hear the phrase "white men can't jump" Well I'm adding "white guys suck at tailback"

Who was the last white guy who was any good at RB, John Riggins?

Mike Alstott has had his moments I guess.

TJ strikes me as one of those guys who probably is a headcase/drug addict/dumbass/primadonna/compainer and he isn't worth putting up with compared to his onfield production. I bet ESPN modelled Demetrius Harris from Playmakers after TJ. Sure you can be a cokehead if you're Lawrence Taylor, but not Quincy Carter or Thomas Jones. I'm still trying to figure out how he broke his hand answering a telephone. Reminds me of the drunkard Brian Griese spraining his ankle because he tripped over his dog and fell down the steps or something stupid like that. So far two teams have felt they can do better without his services. I see no reason why Chicago won't be team number 3.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:54 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:Brock Forsey is white, therefore he will not succeed at tailback. Name all the good white running backs. Hmm, Riggins, umm Czonka, Jim Taylor, Frank Gifford, Red Grange? Also, Marshall Faulk was pretty good in Indy, he just didn't put up numbers like he did on the Rams. Priest Holmes was nothing until he got to the Chiefs.

Marshall Faulk was better than pretty good in Indy. He was the only damn thing they had on offense for years rushing AND receiving. Most of the time he was there, they had a QB carousel and never had a WR who could catch until they drafted Harrison. I bet he was the leading receiver on his team at least twice.

*looking up team stats*

1994: Tied for leading receiver
1995: Leading receiver
1996: 2nd leading receiver behind Harrison
1998: Leading receiver

It was pretty obvious Faulk was a guy who could carry a team when all else failed. TJ has never even been close to that. TJ is a 26 year old journeyman RB. He might be adequate for a year or two, but teams will always look to replace him. It's still not 100% certain that his situation in CHI is even that good, much less if he will be able to excel in a good situation.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:04 pm

Merrill Hoge was pretty good in Tecmo Bowl and he was white...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk