Return to Football Talk

Poor Donovan

Moderator: Football Moderators

Poor Donovan

Postby joester » Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:11 am

[size=18]NFC Notes: McNabb Won't Get Receiver Upgrade[/size]
By Bo Mitchell, Content Manager
February 25, 2003 9:00 AM ET

How many times have you heard someone in your fantasy league suggest Donovan McNabb would have even better numbers if he ever had an actual number one wide receiver to throw the ball to?

Doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon.

Eagles head coach Andy Reid recently told the Philadelphia Inquirer that he's not planning to upgrade his wide receivers this offseason.

"We led the league in 40-plus catch guys. You want to keep that up, keep spreading it around. I think we have good enough people there to win championships. The guys we have caught a lot of footballs."

They also dropped too many and didn't get open often enough. Either Reid is blowing smoke to disguise their true offseason plans, or he's not seeing the same thing we're seeing. James Thrash and Todd Pinkston are solid number two wideouts, nothing more. When your best receiver (Pinkston) catches a team-leading 60 passes for 798 yards, and seven touchdowns in what was easily the best year of his career, improvement is needed.
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Indy Dragons » Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:51 am

I do think the Eagles need a TRUE #1 Receiver, and believe Boston would fill that need. The Eagles have a pretty good Defense, they just need some help for McNabb.
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby hayesb26 » Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:58 am

the eagles are still a great team and will go deep into the playoffs each year, but they will never win a super bowl until they get that #1 reciever
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:22 am

I don't think they need Boston,,, they are fine with the fella's they have...they only throw -3 to 4 yard passes all day anyway.
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby chaindog35 » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:46 am

I think they could use a better wr like boston, but they can continue to get by with thrash and pinkston. I think they could use an upgrade at both RB and WR.
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby slowkidz » Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:32 pm

chaindog35 wrote:I think they could use a better wr like boston, but they can continue to get by with thrash and pinkston. I think they could use an upgrade at both RB and WR.

I agree. McNabb can run cirlces around the defense all day, injured or not...but they need to make sure they have a backup that can do it too...I'm not a big fan of RB by Committee, and I'm glad to see that Staley stepped up at the end of last season. Da Eagles should go out for a #1 WR to complement Thrash and Pinkston. Both are good WRs, but they are no.2 WRs at best right now. And a solid RB will just add more of an Offensive threat than the Committee approach. If Staley steps up to fill that role finally, then good for the Eagles...But I don't see Thrash or Pinkston stepping into that no.1 WR slot...
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Roseman » Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:28 pm

Every team in the NFL can use a real deep threat that can spread out the Defense but the Eagles have made it to the NFC final twice in the last two years and both times they lost had nothing to do with the personnel out on the field.

And not to knock Andy Reid the guy is a great coach but he is a little to afraid to take the chance when it counts. He plays it safe to often he never even attempted a big play against the Bucs he was happy to just turtle and die!!!!! :~(
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby Slingblade » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:27 pm

yeah....the eagles need a good go-to-receiver
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby zombiez » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:12 am

yes they doooooo
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby terpfan » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:28 am

they have everything else... just gettin greedy now!
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk