Ideal 'Double Dips' - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ideal 'Double Dips'

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:35 pm

9erFan wrote:
Consistency is the key in FFBL. Give me a team that scores 90 every week rather than one that oscillates between 120 and 60. QB/WR "hookups" will hurt you in the long run.

I agree about consistency, but if you have a solid squad around your 'hookup' you will be be putting up consistent points every week, with the possibility of having an incredible week.

Granted Manning doesn't play the Saints every week, throwing 6 tds and 3 or 4 of them to Marvin, but that definitely will put you over the edge in certain weeks. If they play NE it's a bit tougher, but that is when you hopefully have a solid team picking up the slack, like your RBs.

Really doesn't happen unless you have time to build your squad over years since if you draft Moss #1 and Culpepper #2 or #3, you won't have much depth at RB right away. You will have to build that part of your roster up.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DraftDodger » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:01 pm

>>> However, taking QB/WR combos later in the draft (Pennington/SMoss, Favre/Walker) give you a better chance for success since on big weeks with the combos, you'll kill people. When they have a down week as a duo, you have your first, second and third round picks there picking up the slack. <<<

Great tip, Warpigs! I'm in a league on Antsports where they play your optimum team AFTER points are scored, and I think this would make a great exploit there.

I also like Arlo's idea of drafting two top defenses back to back, possibly forcing an early run on defenses.

The advantage with both ideas is it's something you can do a little later in the draft, after you've already stocked up on stud RB's and WR's.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:29 pm

If you're into that sort of thing, the ideal double dip has to come from a QB you pickup no earlier than the 4th round. The only 4th round+ QBs with a stud WR are Pennington/Moss, Bulger/Holt, McNair/Mason and Brooks/Horn. Trent Green would be perfect, but he has no stud WR. Same thing for Favre. Outside of those four combos, you're probably likely to get as many bad or average games as good games which is bad for your team overall.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Warpigs » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:35 pm

DraftDodger wrote:Great tip, Warpigs! I'm in a league on Antsports where they play your optimum team AFTER points are scored, and I think this would make a great exploit there.

Actually, it wasn't my tip. Azrael used the idea as part of his debate in the 8/4 contest. He deserves the kudos. I like the idea, myself.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby deftdelivery » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:42 pm

Obviuosly Cpepp/Moss - consensus #1 WR with practically the consensus #1 qb
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Great Gambini » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:43 pm

Warpigs wrote:We debated this topic in Great Debates just recently. Here is the link:

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=66329

Overall, I think a very good point was raised in these debates -- it may be sexy to get Culpepper and Moss, but remember that you'll be taking them with the first two picks in most leagues. This means that you'll be relying on middle round picks to pick you up on weeks that Culpepper and Moss struggle.

However, taking QB/WR combos later in the draft (Pennington/SMoss, Favre/Walker) give you a better chance for success since on big weeks with the combos, you'll kill people. When they have a down week as a duo, you have your first, second and third round picks there picking up the slack.

That's what I was thinking. It'd be great to have the CPepp/Moss duo, but I hate taking QBs so early.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:06 pm

MeShawn wrote:Well, here's the order I would want them:

1) C-Pepp/Moss
2) Manning/Harrison
3) McNabb/Owens
4) McNair/Mason
5) Hass/D-Jax
6) Bulger/Holt
7) Vick/Price
8) Penny/Santana
9) Brooks/Horn
10) Farve/Walker

This list goes on and on

We did a big thing on this question in the last debate. I came to the conclusion that certain tandems you don't want simply because they are too costly to your team's strength with respect to where you have to draft them to get them. I'll re-rank these with considering BOTH how much they can help your team AND how costly they are to draft.

(10 team draft)

1. Penny/Moss - Moss usually goes in the late 3rd/early 4th, Penny 6th or 7th. Could have a huge year.

2. Hass/DJax - both probably go no later than 5th round but probably not earlier than 4th either. These guys are solid.

3. Favre/Walker - Walker has been going in the 5th and Favre goes usually not earlier than the 7th. Huge value here with Favre, as he led the league in TD passes last year. Walker is everyone's 1st "3rd year breakout" pick.

4. Brooks/Horn - this combo is 4th simply because Brooks can be obtained so late if you tab him as your starter, 9th round I'm guessing. Horn's a 4th Rd WR.

5. McNabb/Owens - these guys can potentially be really good and having an early 3rd Rd WR with a 4th Rd qb isn't that damaging if you used your 1st to picks to obtain backs.

6. Bulger/Holt - Holt's a top notch receiver who's worth a 2nd round pick and Bulger can be had in the late 5th, early 6th round. These 2 should hook up quite often.

7. McNair/Mason - these guys both seem to average going around late 4th round. Not bad but you don't get 2 4th round picks and chances they may not be around in the 5th, which means you'd have to take one in the 3rd. Too costly.

8. Culpepper/Moss - to BE SURE to get these guys you have to spend a 1st and 2nd round pick. You probably won't be able to find 2 RBs to make up for not taking any in the 1st 2 rounds.

9. Manning/Harrison - see Culpepper/Moss argument.

10. Vick/Price - the thing that screws up this combo is that Vick goes crazy early AND Price hasn't proven he can be a no 1 WR. Very risky combo.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Jetsfan » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:42 pm

I had the 10th pick in a 12 team league this year and since the RB position was pretty much filtered, I took Moss, then got Culpepper on the way back in the snaking order. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this tandem for this year because many people rate them the #1 QB and Receiver in the league. We'll have to see how things turn out.
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!
Jetsfan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby hawksfan896 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:52 pm

KingGhidra wrote:If you're into that sort of thing, the ideal double dip has to come from a QB you pickup no earlier than the 4th round. The only 4th round+ QBs with a stud WR are Pennington/Moss, Bulger/Holt, McNair/Mason and Brooks/Horn. Trent Green would be perfect, but he has no stud WR. Same thing for Favre. Outside of those four combos, you're probably likely to get as many bad or average games as good games which is bad for your team overall.

Guy in my league had Brooks/Horn last year. Not a happy camper. If you double dip you choose happens to be on a team that has a horrible year you get screwed pretty hard...I have to agree with above posts, you might as well take players of similar value if you can avoid doubling up, but if it's unquestionably the two picks you want, go for it. I feel you on Green though, he's so consistant...just no one to throw to. I'd double up Green and Priest, does that count?
:-)
"When I was a kid I thought I was going to be the starting centerfielder for the Boston Red Sox. Life sucks, get a f___ing helmet." --Dennis Leary
hawksfan896
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:44 pm

Okay,a little curious here.Would you take Moss on your team given the opportunity?Of course.Would you start him every week,with no regrets?Of course.Can the same be said for C-Pep?Absolutely.So why would anyone in their right mind say they wouldn't want both?I think it's crazy to say"Oh man,Moss is still there,but I already have Daunte,so I'll take Hines Ward instead."Don't you agree?Besides the simple fact that it's almost impossible to get a duo like that,or Manning/Harrison,and still have a competitive team with no RB's,it seems a no brainer that it would be desirable to have both.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Previous

Return to Football Talk