Curtis Martin shooting for 1500 yards?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Curtis Martin shooting for 1500 yards??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Curtis Martin shooting for 1500 yards??

Postby Warpigs » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:00 pm

Considering most people are writing him off and drafting him later and later in many leagues -- he could be an interesting value pick if he can combine some of this yardage with some TDs.

Jets: Martin shooting for 1,500 yards

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Thursday, August 19, 2004

News
Running back Curtis Martin told the Newark Star-Ledger to pencil him in for over 1,500 yards this season. "For me, there's no reason why I shouldn't have my best year this year. I'm looking to get somewhere over 1,500 yards. I know this is the time I'm supposed to be slowing down, but I want to speed up and I know that I can," Martin said. He pointed to an improved offensive line and the fact that he feels healthier than he has for years.

Views
Martin has also been practicing more and will play more in preseason games this season in an effort to avoid the slow starts that have plagued him for the past several years. The offensive line does look good, especially with the addition of guard Pete Kendall last week, and Martin has never rushed for less than 1,000 yards. Still, the guy is getting old and we'll believe it when we see it. While the yardage would be great, one problem we see is that Martin said nothing about his touchdowns. How about a guarantee of 10 touchdowns, C-Mart?
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:44 pm

It really wouldn't suprise me if he ran for nearly 1,500 yards. O:-)
Ok, maybe it would suprise me a little bit. He's one of those players who quietly puts together really nice seasons on a regular basis. I think he's capable of 1,500, but I think 1,300 is more realistic.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

2k yards for C-Mart

Postby DraftDodger » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:48 pm

He could run for 2,000 yards and still have fewer touchdowns than some cornerbacks. That's the killer.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:59 pm

The Jets are going to have to start getting Lamont Jordan his reps... He was willing to walk this year if he didn't get some more time in, and they know they'll probably need him as a starter next year... I don't see Martin doing significantly better than last year with those shared carries....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby goleafsgo96 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:15 pm

talky talky talky...

Plindseys rght, i exoect a bigger role for Lamont Jordan each year, thus CMarts production dropping each year.

I do agree that he is good value where hes normally going tho.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:00 pm

I really like his value right now - he can be had after the 5th rd of most drafts. I also think his TDs last year were a fluke. He should get back to 7-10 TDs this yr.

Also - dont forget he played better with a healthy Penny.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Big Pimpin' » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:54 pm

good call. a healthy penny makes that offense run. it doesn't look very good without him.
Big Pimpin'
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

The Herman Edwards Factor

Postby tds04 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:57 pm

I find it surprising that no one mentioned the one guy who is determined to limit C-Mart's fantasy stats, especially around the goal line. The excuse of keeping Martin fresh is idiotic. Before Edwards arrived Martin was one of the best goal line runners in the league. Parcells never got cute with the play calling in that area. Martin was the guy and he was money in those situations. Lamont Jordan in NO Curtis Martin, especially inside the five yard line. I keep hoping that the Jets will dump this guy. He's been head coach for five years now and what has he done for the the Jets? Not much from what I've seen. It's a shame really because Martin is such a good, durable player.
tds04
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Warpigs » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:03 am

And now... one day after Martin talks about 1500 yards, this is posted on Yahoo:

Jets: Martin to get more red zone looks

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Friday, August 20, 2004

News
According to the New York Post, coach Herman Edwards is planning to get Curtis Martin more red zone carries this year. "Curtis needs to be a guy that can score touchdowns for us, especially when we get in the red zone," Edwards told the Post. "I think if he can score touchdowns along with Lamont being a factor, then you've got a pretty good one-two punch."

Views
Well, well, well. Ask and ye shall receive. Yesterday, Martin all but guaranteed 1,500 yards, and we kindly asked him to guarantee 8-10 touchdowns as well before we moved him up our rankings. Don't get too excited, though. Lamont Jordan is still in the mix and Martin's touchdowns have decreased from 10 to seven to two over the past several years. Last year, both got nine carries in goal-to-go situations, with Martin scoring twice and Jordan four times. You'd be wise not to expect more than four or five scores from C-Mart.

Could it be possible that Martin actually will get a couple more scores?
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Estarr01 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:09 am

Lofty goals? Does anyone think it's funny that top backs shoot for 2000 yards, A. Green and mediocre backs shoot for 1500 yards?

That's my point, he is a serviceable #3 back and a good 5th round pick, but to expect 1500 years and 10 TD is ludacris from a guy who is in his 30's and seems to have a lost a step. I personally think he will be around 1000 yards and 7 tds and would be willing to take him in the 5th round
Estarr01
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk