Trade Rumor

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trade Rumor

Postby brownslover » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:13 pm

Deal with Dolphins rumored

Trade talks could involve Morgan or Andre Davis

By Brian Windhorst

Beacon Journal staff writer

BEREA - Rumors have been circulating around the NFL this week that the Browns and Miami Dolphins are talking trade.

ESPN reported the Browns might be offering receivers Andre Davis or Quincy Morgan for defensive end Adewale Ogunleye. Earlier in training camp, third-string running back James Jackson's name was tied to a Miami rumor.

With the stunning retirement of Ricky Williams and potential season-ending injuries to receivers David Boston and Kendall Newsom, the Dolphins are looking for help at the skill positions. Ogunleye, who had 15 sacks to lead the AFC last season, is currently holding out of training camp looking for a new contract.

``It's not a distraction,'' Morgan said. ``There's a hundred other things that can distract you more than that.

``It's the business, that's how it is. I like it here. I like my guys. I want to stay here.''

If it was up to quarterback Jeff Garcia, there wouldn't be an issue.

``That needs to be shut off right away. I think Quincy is a valuable asset to this team,'' Garcia said. ``It is important to keep this team together the way it is because we've been working hard and moving a certain direction together.''

Browns coach Butch Davis declined to comment on the rumors. A league source said the Browns have spoken to the Dolphins involving James Jackson but not any wide receivers.

Morgan, who is in the final year of his contract, said he's heard his name in trade rumors since 2002, when he caught 56 passes for 964 yards and seven touchdowns. Last season, his numbers dipped to 38 catches for 516 yards and three touchdowns.

``After 2002, everybody and their mama wanted to get me,'' Morgan said. ``Maybe after last season, they'll be quick to ship me out.''

Nike rumor refuted

Kellen Winslow Sr. denied reports in Tuesday's Beacon Journal that his son, Browns tight end Kellen Jr., was in talks with Nike about an endorsement contract. Winslow Sr., a Hall of Famer who is handling his son's marketing ventures, said his family already has a contract with Reebok, which dated prior to the April draft.

Looking to Primetime

Reports out of Baltimore that former star cornerback Deion Sanders was seriously considering a comeback with the Ravens made some waves at Browns camp Wednesday. They play their division rival twice, including the Sept. 12 opener. Sanders hasn't played in four years and until recently worked in television, primarily as a commentator for CBS.

``Every young receiver would want to play against Deion Sanders. He's the greatest cornerback ever,'' Morgan said. ``Everybody is a Deion Sanders fan, but if he comes back, we'll have to get after him.''

Rookie show

The rookies put on their annual show for the veterans Tuesday night, and it got surprisingly good reviews. The rookies did impressions of coaches and players, complete with masks. Winslow's portrayal of fellow tight end Darnell Sanders drew some of the biggest laughs of the night.

``We didn't think this group would do a good job, but it was the funniest rookie show since I've been here,'' safety Earl Little said. ``We had to give them an ovation.''

While the rookies might disagree, the Browns' vets say they go easy on the hazing.

``What these guys don't realize is this is a first-class organization. They give you breakfast,'' Little said.

``When I was a rookie (with New Orleans), the rookies had to get up early and go to McDonald's to buy breakfast. If you don't bring the food, they'd tie you up and throw you in the cold tub.''

Brownies

The Browns signed offensive lineman Jason Andersen, who played for the Kansas City Chiefs last season. He'll help replace the injured Melvin Fowler (sprained ankle).... Jim Brown addressed the team after practice.... Training camp ends today, which is also the last day fans can attend practice.
What's your fat ass doing here?

He's my only means of conveyance. Buuut I guess I do spoil him.
brownslover
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Cleveland Browns