Why do people say that McNabb is overrated? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why do people say that McNabb is overrated?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why do people say that McNabb is overrated?

Postby aussieboy » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:29 am

I see quite a few people that put McNabb in the "overrated" catagory. Since i'm considering trading for him, I would like to know why that is.

He put up sensational numbers in 2002 before getting injured. He was the consesus number 1 QB going into last yrs fantasy season, and following a slow start, which is understandable considering his prior injury, he was the number 2 fantasy QB after week 8.

Now that was with no receiving threat at all. With TO in town, surely he deserves to be talked about in the same breath as a Culpepper and Manning.

Personally I have them as follows:

Culpepper
McNabb
Manning
Vick (if Vick plays every game he goes to #2).
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Why do people say that McNabb is overrated?

Postby josebach » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:47 am

aussieboy wrote:I see quite a few people that put McNabb in the "overrated" catagory. Since i'm considering trading for him, I would like to know why that is.

He was completely healthy last year and played all 16 games ending the season with the 13th highest fantasy points total among quarterbacks. This season, he's ranked 4th pre-season.

Personally I think he's around 6th.
1)Culpepper
2)Manning
3)McNair
4)Hasselbeck
5)Vick
6)Bulger/McNabb/Green???

Oh, and only looking at his last 8 games is not a reliable method for determining someone's success. Look at Tiki Barber's last 12 games of the 2002 season. I expected him to be awesome last year and was greatly disappointed.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:53 am

Only bitter cowboys fans, redskins fans and giants fans thinks hes overrated, oh and racists too. He was well on his way to the MVP when he broke his ankle in 2002. Let me remind you he still played in the game after breaking it and threw for 4 TDs. And he was not completely healthy, he had a nagging thumb injury at the beginning of the year. Last year was a fluke, and you will be very disappointed if you draft Bulger over McNabb. (Guarantee- Bulger will throw an equal or greater amount of interceptions compared to his TDs.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Buckychudd » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:01 am

Mainly it's his completion percentage....which was 57.5% last year and is 57.0% lifetime. That is pretty ugly.

Most of the elite QBs are around 65%, the general cutoff for a "high quality" QB is 60%.

I do think part of it was the lack of a go-to WR.....but his accuracy is suspect at best. We'll see how T.O. effects that statistic.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby maddog60 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:05 am

josebach wrote:He was completely healthy last year and played all 16 games ending the season with the 13th highest fantasy points total among quarterbacks. This season, he's ranked 4th pre-season.

My guess is that this explains clearly why people call him overrated. They forget he was playing injured last year, for about half the year. Or you know it could be total coincidence that was soon as that splint on his thumb came off his QB numbers skyrocketed from where they had been all season...
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:09 am

34=Sweetness wrote
Only bitter cowboys fans, redskins fans and giants fans thinks hes overrated, oh and racists too.

I am not a bitter giants, redskins, or cowboys fan, or a racist...but i do think Mcnabb is overrated. He didn't have the year many experts believed he would have last year. By many counts I don't even believe he was in the top 10. Why would he be now preseason #4 or higher?

Those marks should go to the people that prove it year in year out. I don't see him being higher than Culpepper and Manning.

Kinda the same boat as Vick. At some point you can't keep ranking on potential. At some point they bust out to an extent. I think this is definitely a make or break year. At some point you have to stop pointing fingers at the WR's or the defense or anyone else but Mcnabb. He could prve me wrong and have a great year. I am just not taking a chance on him with an early pick.

I do agree that Bulger is in for a world of trouble this year[/quote]
Last edited by SwiperNoSwiping on Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:10 am

34=Sweetness wrote:Only bitter cowboys fans, redskins fans and giants fans thinks hes overrated, oh and racists too.

Well, I'm not a Cowboys fan, Redskins fan or Giants fan and I think he's overrated. Does that mean I'm a racist? What if I think McNair is underrated? Sorry, I don't mean to confuse you.

You have one Jackass radio talk show host bring up race about a football player and now anyone who think's he's overrated is a racist? Give me a break. :-t

From my experience, the people screaming racism the loudest are the ones who are in fact the most racist.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:15 am

Actually the racist part was a joke, a little jab at pill popping Limbaugh. I have him ranked 5th, so I dont see how he can be rated any lower than that considering his strong finish and his great 2002 year.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby josebach » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:25 am

maddog60 wrote:
josebach wrote:He was completely healthy last year and played all 16 games ending the season with the 13th highest fantasy points total among quarterbacks. This season, he's ranked 4th pre-season.

My guess is that this explains clearly why people call him overrated. They forget he was playing injured last year, for about half the year. Or you know it could be total coincidence that was soon as that splint on his thumb came off his QB numbers skyrocketed from where they had been all season...

McNabb didn't hurt his hand until halfway through the third game of the season. Look at his numbers for the first 3 games.

Whatever. I actually like the guy. He's one of those guys that you never hear anything bad about. I hope he does really well, and if he's around in the 5th or 6th round, I wouldn't hesitate giving him a shot. Just don't call people crazy that think he's a middle of the road QB instead of an elite one.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby dfer » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:26 am

1. I'd contest the idea that McNabb was the 'consensus' #1 last year. In virtually every draft or pre-season ranking I saw, at least one of Culpepper, Manning or Vick was taken/rated higher.

2. In the last 8 games of 2003, Culpepper dramatically outperformed McNabb (~4 fantasy pts/game), and Trent Green performed about the same. The fact that Green can stand like a statue in the pocket, depend on his running back and tight end for passing yardage, and still beat McNabb during a series of games that specifically emphasize McNabb's stats seems to be a negative for McNabb.

3. McNabb may have terrible wide receivers, but it's questionable if that's because the wide receivers are as abysmal as their stats indicate. During McNabb's tenure in the NFL, every wideout who has come from another NFL team has seen his numbers fall off in Philadelphia.

4. The Terrell Owens impact is mitigated by the fact that no one drafts McNabb to watch him pass. If McNabb didn't run the ball, he'd be a worse choice than folks like Tommy Maddox. And McNabb's rushing stats have been steadily declining.

At the end of the day, the main reason people view McNabb as 'overrated' is simply because he always has been. McNabb routinely gets ranked in the #2-#6 range for fantasy QBs, and he routinely underperforms his ranking. Chances are, if you've ever drafted or traded for McNabb in the past, you've ended up regretting it.

This year might very well be McNabb's year. But it's far more likely that someone like Brett Favre will earn his 6th-7th round pick than it is McNabb will earn his 3rd round pick.
dfer
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk