Why do people say that McNabb is overrated? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Why do people say that McNabb is overrated?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby CC » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:04 pm

King Titan wrote:
bagobonez wrote:Ok, fine. McNabb was playing well in 2002 before his injury. What about last year? What's his excuse for last year? Thumb injury? Favre had a thumb injury and he led the league in TD passes with a very bland corps of WR's. Steve McNair was a walking ailment last year and he had the highest QB rating in the league and was co-MVP.

No one is to blame for McNabb's short comings last year except for McNabb himself. There comes a time when you have to stop pointing the finger at your WR's, your O-linemen, your running game, or WHATEVER and just start taking some of the blame yourself.

If we're going to make excuses for McNabb and talk about how much potential he has, then why not rate Chad Pennington andJeff Garcia as high as McNabb? Pennington had some very nice numbers in 15 games in 2002. Garcia could always be counted on for some nice numbers until last year. So why aren't they being ranked in the top 5?


Hey Bro it's no sense to argue with these genuises any longer, us in the minority who dislikes McNabb's skills are racist, ignorant, flat out stupid hard headed wife beaters. I've never seen anyone so medicore held to such a high standard. McNair is the red headed step child and McNabb is the rich all american boy eating apple pie and chunky soup.


Yea, its real rough for you guys, championing against the juggernaut that is the McNabb hype machine, give me a break. McNair the red-headed stepchild? He won the damn MVP award last year, all the anti-McNabb people have done is complain and all the pro-McNabb people have provided evidence.
Image
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11079
Joined: 30 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House.

Postby King Titan » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:24 pm

eaglesrule wrote:this is ridiculous. "boob boo" to his ribs? Guess no one remembers the game where he had all those touchdowns on a,broken bone?

If you look at it the eagles are the winningest team since 2000 I believe (obvisouly not in terms of super bowls but regular season). He rarely gets picked.

Look at the stats of last year. The eagles had about 13 incomplete passes a game. If you give mcnabb back one of those passes per game, his compeltion percentage goes north of 60 percent. 1.5 and he is elite. And given the woes of the receiving corps, this is MORE THAN reasonable to surmise.

2002 before he went down, he was a total stud, arguably the highest scorer in fantasy, depending on scoring system. He struggled early (with an injury) and turned it on down the stretch.

He is so inaccurate, he never turns the ball over? The arguments against donovan never cease to amaze me. When they are praising brady -- it is all about wins and getting the job done. Mind you, if you give donovan an extra completion a game, his completion percentage is comprable anyway. He gets the team to the champitonship game for three years, and he "doesn't get the job done"? unbelievable. In case anyone didn't notice, that despite the feeling of it, the eagles were still in that game last year until he got hurt.

And i should remind people that when you lose your number one offensive weapon before the playoffs, and your defesnive mvp on the year, it makes the goings a little more tough.

Considering the weapons he has had historically, the knocks on him make zero sense, conisdering there is little statisitcal evidence to back it up. Everyone points at compeltyion percentage, because the other numbers seem to be all there to me. His wins certainly are. And close rinspection reveals the "knock" to be hollow.

give it up. He isn't the top fantasy guy, peyton and culpepper are clearly. He isn;t the top nfl guy, brady, farve, peyton have to be considered ahead of him. But other than that, I have a hard time listening to too many arguments about who is really better.

I know one thing vick certainly ain't. And frankly, fantasy wise, why take less games of vick when you could have mcnabb? last year was an aberration, and even still, saved it pretty well.

Mcnabb is so mediocre, the eagles just keep winning games DESPITE him. You guys must not actually watch games.

Don;t give me this mcnair bs either. Mcnair has had the receivers and the backs (until last year) that donovan hasn't really had.

There really is no argument other than subjectivity here.


Ok genius start naming all these standout wideouts that Big Mac9 has had over the years. I'm interested to hear this one .....
King Titan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 187
Joined: 18 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Leonardtown, MD

Postby Monty » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:26 pm

He's had Mason
Image
- AKA Monty in the FBC (bet you didn't see that one comin')
Monty
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 1310
Joined: 7 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ontario

Postby goleafsgo96 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:27 pm

King Titan wrote:
eaglesrule wrote:this is ridiculous. "boob boo" to his ribs? Guess no one remembers the game where he had all those touchdowns on a,broken bone?

If you look at it the eagles are the winningest team since 2000 I believe (obvisouly not in terms of super bowls but regular season). He rarely gets picked.

Look at the stats of last year. The eagles had about 13 incomplete passes a game. If you give mcnabb back one of those passes per game, his compeltion percentage goes north of 60 percent. 1.5 and he is elite. And given the woes of the receiving corps, this is MORE THAN reasonable to surmise.

2002 before he went down, he was a total stud, arguably the highest scorer in fantasy, depending on scoring system. He struggled early (with an injury) and turned it on down the stretch.

He is so inaccurate, he never turns the ball over? The arguments against donovan never cease to amaze me. When they are praising brady -- it is all about wins and getting the job done. Mind you, if you give donovan an extra completion a game, his completion percentage is comprable anyway. He gets the team to the champitonship game for three years, and he "doesn't get the job done"? unbelievable. In case anyone didn't notice, that despite the feeling of it, the eagles were still in that game last year until he got hurt.

And i should remind people that when you lose your number one offensive weapon before the playoffs, and your defesnive mvp on the year, it makes the goings a little more tough.

Considering the weapons he has had historically, the knocks on him make zero sense, conisdering there is little statisitcal evidence to back it up. Everyone points at compeltyion percentage, because the other numbers seem to be all there to me. His wins certainly are. And close rinspection reveals the "knock" to be hollow.

give it up. He isn't the top fantasy guy, peyton and culpepper are clearly. He isn;t the top nfl guy, brady, farve, peyton have to be considered ahead of him. But other than that, I have a hard time listening to too many arguments about who is really better.

I know one thing vick certainly ain't. And frankly, fantasy wise, why take less games of vick when you could have mcnabb? last year was an aberration, and even still, saved it pretty well.

Mcnabb is so mediocre, the eagles just keep winning games DESPITE him. You guys must not actually watch games.

Don;t give me this mcnair bs either. Mcnair has had the receivers and the backs (until last year) that donovan hasn't really had.

There really is no argument other than subjectivity here.


Ok genius start naming all these standout wideouts that Big Mac9 has had over the years. I'm interested to hear this one .....


Here we go:

Mason

Thtas better than ANYBODY Mcnabb ever had. Also, George, believe it or not, used to be a big threat, taking alot of pressure of Mcnabb. Mcnabb never had that kinda back.
Image
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2879
Joined: 23 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: bitter about missing the playoffs

Postby CC » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:30 pm

Mason, Kevin Dyson (when he was good), Yancey Thigpen, Carl Pickens, Frank Wycheck are all better than anyone McNabb ever had. Plus Calico, McCareins, and Bennett are at least as good as anyone McNabb's had.
Image
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11079
Joined: 30 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House.

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:38 pm

i didn't say stand out, I said better. I think mason is better than anyone mcnabb has had. mcareins certainly seems better, dyson was better. George has been better than anything too.

Im not making it like mcnair has had some elite crew, but lets face facts, brady and mcnair also have had better receivers than mcnabb has had too.

considering that he has the most regular season wins of any quarterback this century, I think ti is a tall order to say he is "overrated".

If you think the deadly thrash and pinkston combo is better than the leading combo of tennesse or new englad throguh that period of time, you need to watch more football. Let's not kid ourselves, the titans have a had a better overall corps of receivers than the eagles have had.

It always amazes me how the scale slides when it comes to donovan. When it is other players "all they know how to do is wine" and people ride their jock. But then it comes to peyton, vick and culpepper and everyone busts a nut over that. Well, donovan "knows how to win" -- certianly moreso than peyton and culpper, and he gets no respect. It seems like a flip flop argument, whenever you need something to bas mcnabb with.

if you are going to reward the ultimate stat -- wins, and guiding the team, donovan has to be conisdered elite. and aside from brady, how can anyone really find fault with mcnabb in that department. statisically, he is a very good, but not the best, pure stats wise. but the two combined make him pretty elite.

to say anything else is patently absurd.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2843
Joined: 3 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dfer » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:48 pm

considering that he has the most regular season wins of any quarterback this century, I think ti is a tall order to say he is "overrated".


Why does it matter how many wins he has? Unless your league has fairly unusual scoring, whether or not a QB wins a game has no bearing on his fantasy value.

This discussion is about fantasy value. Tom Brady won two Super Bowls. But I'd say you were nuts if you ranked him the best fantasy quarterback around. Brett Favre is a future Hall-of-Famer, but you wouldn't take him in the first round.

No one is saying that Donovan McNabb isn't worth starting on your fantasy team. All they're saying is that if you took Donovan McNabb in the third round, and your buddy took Trent Green in the fifth round, your buddy got a better deal than you did. And, let's face it- the numbers back up that assessment.
dfer
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 44
Joined: 6 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:03 pm

seems to me the discussion got a little muddled between fantasy and reality to be honest ...

yea in that scenairo (last year) the guy who took green won.

But that may not be the case this year ...
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2843
Joined: 3 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby goleafsgo96 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:07 pm

CC, good point bringing up Thigpen, i fergot about him. Yah. Mcnair has definately had a better supporting cast than MCnabb, better scrap that argument cowboy fans.
Image
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2879
Joined: 23 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: bitter about missing the playoffs

Postby TheRawDAWG » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:32 pm

dfer wrote:
considering that he has the most regular season wins of any quarterback this century, I think ti is a tall order to say he is "overrated".


Why does it matter how many wins he has? Unless your league has fairly unusual scoring, whether or not a QB wins a game has no bearing on his fantasy value.

This discussion is about fantasy value. Tom Brady won two Super Bowls. But I'd say you were nuts if you ranked him the best fantasy quarterback around. Brett Favre is a future Hall-of-Famer, but you wouldn't take him in the first round.

No one is saying that Donovan McNabb isn't worth starting on your fantasy team. All they're saying is that if you took Donovan McNabb in the third round, and your buddy took Trent Green in the fifth round, your buddy got a better deal than you did. And, let's face it- the numbers back up that assessment.


Finally someone acknowledges what I'm saying. I never said McNabb sucked or he should be behind this guy or that. My argument of him being overrated isn't really even the fact he is rated 3rd or 4th in almost EVERY cheat sheet. My whole point, and I've said it numerous times, is McNabb in the 3rd round (where he goes most of the time in MY experience) is far less value than Green or Brooks in the 6th. Thats what I'm saying. On a level playing field I may even take McNabb over these guys. Just not 3-5 rounds ealier.

You say I think this just because I'm a Cowboys fan? I actually like McNabb. I like most gutsy football players no matter what team they play for. As long as they are not loud mouth pricks.

Hey cheese head should everyone discount your opinion on the Vikes players because you are a Packers fan? Those statements you guys have been making are the most ignorant ones I've seen here. Because people don't agree with you they must be biased? What a joke. Am I anti Chiefs and Chargers because I have Ahman rated ahead of Priest and LT2? NO!! Everyone has to have different spins on things. If we all had the same cheatsheets this game wouldn't be much fun.

By the way, I also don't have TO rated very high. It's not because I'm anti eagle. It's because I don't see McNabb and TO having good chemistry together. Thats my opinion and I'm entitled to it without being labeled by you jerks.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1599
Joined: 16 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Up in Canada

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 5:56 hours
(and 41 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact