Why do people say that McNabb is overrated? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why do people say that McNabb is overrated?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby TheRawDAWG » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:35 pm

goleafsgo96 wrote:CC, good point bringing up Thigpen, i fergot about him. Yah. Mcnair has definately had a better supporting cast than MCnabb, better scrap that argument cowboy fans.

That argument was brough up by a Titans fan. Maybe you should stop thinking this is all about the cowboys and Eagles and start realizing it's not only cowboys fans who think McNabb is OVERRATED!!

And it's easy to say how stupid people are when nothing happened yet. Lets revisit this at the end of the season.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Monty » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:49 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:
goleafsgo96 wrote:CC, good point bringing up Thigpen, i fergot about him. Yah. Mcnair has definately had a better supporting cast than MCnabb, better scrap that argument cowboy fans.

That argument was brough up by a Titans fan. Maybe you should stop thinking this is all about the cowboys and Eagles and start realizing it's not only cowboys fans who think McNabb is OVERRATED!!

And it's easy to say how stupid people are when nothing happened yet. Lets revisit this at the end of the season.

Yes... please lets, all the Cowboys fans will be Crying when we, the supporters of McNabb PREVAIL (man i sound like a nerd)
- AKA Monty in the FBC (bet you didn't see that one comin')
Monty
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:54 pm

What are you being labelled as RawDawg?
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby goleafsgo96 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:01 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:

You know something youre right. Its 2 cowboys fans and 1 titan fan that feel Mcnabb is OVERRATED!!
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:47 pm

eaglesrule wrote:Well, donovan "knows how to win" -- certianly moreso than peyton and culpper, and he gets no respect. It seems like a flip flop argument, whenever you need something to bas mcnabb with.

if you are going to reward the ultimate stat -- wins, and guiding the team, donovan has to be conisdered elite.

More so than Peyton and Culpepper? If they had half the defense that Philly has, who know how good they'd be. I seem to remember the Eagles doing damn good in 2002 while McNabb was on the bench... with their 3rd string quarterback!!! McNabb's a good QB, I'll give you that, but saying he knows how to win more than Manning or Culpepper... well, let's just say you're grasping.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Monty » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:54 pm

goleafsgo96 wrote:You know something youre right. Its 2 cowboys fans and 1 titan fan that feel Mcnabb is OVERRATED!!

Add 1 Bucs fan lol
- AKA Monty in the FBC (bet you didn't see that one comin')
Monty
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:00 pm

josebach wrote:
eaglesrule wrote:Well, donovan "knows how to win" -- certianly moreso than peyton and culpper, and he gets no respect. It seems like a flip flop argument, whenever you need something to bas mcnabb with.

if you are going to reward the ultimate stat -- wins, and guiding the team, donovan has to be conisdered elite.

More so than Peyton and Culpepper? If they had half the defense that Philly has, who know how good they'd be. I seem to remember the Eagles doing damn good in 2002 while McNabb was on the bench... with their 3rd string quarterback!!! McNabb's a good QB, I'll give you that, but saying he knows how to win more than Manning or Culpepper... well, let's just say you're grasping.
He knows more about winning in the post season then either of those. Culpepper went to 1 NFC Champ and Manning has won 2 playoff games. McNabb has went to 3 straight NFC Champs. He clearly has a better postseason record then them and also a better regular season also. RawDog brings up the arguement that Brooks and Green are better value in the third, but isn't that true with all the top 5 QBs? BTW Mcnabb usually goes 4th round. The value thing applys to all top 5 Qbs, so if you use that argument then they are all overrated. Is that a road you want to go down? That argument is moot then. I dont ignore Cowboy fans opinions on McNabb or other Eagles, but bagobonez has built up a nice track record of such statements despite all proof of numbers that I can put that on him. Also, no one called you stupid but you seemed very quick to call us jerks. Hey, how about an argument without derogatory statements? It usually helps your case if you don't insult others.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bagobonez » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:24 pm

maddog60 wrote:
King Titan wrote:Basically because he is!! Simple as that. He is an average fantasy QB, and a BELOW average NFL forget the fantasy QB. His career year was 2002 and he only played 10 games. The way he dinks and dunks his completion % should be around 70, but it's not. If it is a 3rd and 7 or more with Chunky Soup at QB you can count on MAYBE making it 2 out of 10 times. A guy like Steve McNair is so far advanced beyond McNabb it's crazy but peope still insist on putting McNabb ahead of him. Go figure!!

I love your usage of facts to support the argument. An assumption does not prove itself true by being assumed true. You mention his 2002 season. Well yeah, he only played 10 games, because he broke his leg during the last game he played. Its not like he got put on the bench for poor performance or something. And when you look at the numbers he had, the fantasy points he had when compared to other top QBs off of only 10 games. It's outstanding.

And, no one was arguing whether or not McNabb is better than McNair, but now that you mention it. In terms of fantasy football, yeah he is. Here's why:

Lets use the standard Yahoo Public league scoring system, since its one of the more commonly used schemes. And let's look a the past 4 years for both McNair and McNabb. Going off of season totals, their fantasy points would look like this:

Year McNabb Games Played McNair Games Played
03 167 16 212 14
02 186 10 207 16
01 220 16 213 15
00 226 16 134 16

Interesting to note that the only times McNair scored more points than McNabb is in the past two years wherein McNabb played nearly half of '03 injured, and was out for 6 games in '02 injured. One could make a case based off of those statistics that McNair can't outperform McNabb when McNabb's healthy all season long. But its unfair to compare season totals when you've got missing games on both players part. These statistics should be adjusted using each player's average points per game in each respective season to reflect their full-season projections. Doing so alters the stats so that:

Year McNabb McNair
03 167 242
02 297 207
01 220 227
00 226 134

McNabb finishes ahead of McNair in 2 season with at least 90 more fantasy points than McNair. McNair finishes over him twice, with a whopping 7 more points, and 75 more in '03. To put into perspective how mammoth these differences are, if you computer their average fantasy points per year, you get the following:

Actual w/ full season projections
McNabb 199.75 227.5
McNair 191.5 202.5

So both with and without the projections, McNabb has averaged a better season total than McNair. Go figure.

Yes but you fail to mention that McNair was also injured for much of 2003 and still played well. He didn't have excuses. Projecting stats if a player was injured is a silly thing to do. I could probably come up with a million different scenarios in which so-and-so would have outperformed so-and-so if he had stayed healthy based off points per game. It all comes down to who helped fantasy players win championships, and I don't think McNabb did that in 2002 when he was hurt during the playoff stretch and playoffs, and in 2003 when he stunk up the joint.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bagobonez » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:25 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:My hypothesis of bitter Giants fans is proven true ;-) . I had McNabb in 2002, and he was a GOD. I nearly cried when he broke his leg (well not really). Thanks CBM and maddog for reminding that he outscored a bunch of QBs on 10 games that year and would have been the best QB if he had played all 16 games. Oh and King Titan, your homerism has clearly shown despite the stats showing that McNabb is a better fantasy QB over McNair. Real life QB im not so sure however.

I doubt that he would have surpassed Gannon.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bagobonez » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:35 pm

KingGhidra wrote:
bagobonez wrote:Yes but I have Vick much lower than everyone else does. I'm not high on potential when there are proven, reliable guys out there to be drafted. It goes back to the Portis v. Alexander thing. Now if I'm staring at Brad Johnson, Jeff Garcia, Tom Brady or McNabb as my starter, I'll take McNabb.

It's just silly to think he's going to be a top 3 QB when has done absolutely nothing to prove that he's capable.

Except all those times he finished top 5.

Peyton Manning never finished top 3 before 2003, so I guess he wasn't proven enough for you either.

ALL THOSE TIMES McNabb finished Top 5? Yeah, two out of four years depending on your scoring system.

Manning finished top 3 in 2000. 4,413 yards, 33 TD's 15 INT's. Culpepper and Garcia finished 1 and 2.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk