Why do people say that McNabb is overrated? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why do people say that McNabb is overrated?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bagobonez » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:44 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:
goleafsgo96 wrote:WHy do you want it to be locked down. I think its stupid to lock things. I know why they do it, because its been "beaten to death," but IMO, if youre tired of arguing over it, then dont respond.

But I rarely do see Mcnabb ranked top 3, so i dont see how he is overrated, unless you dont consider him top 5, which is downright nutty.
It needs to be locked because the 2 Cowboys fans here that think he is overrated wont concede their argument when it is based off logical fallacies. What else can we argue? All the numbers have been put up which has dismantled their argument piece by piece. What more can we do? All they can say is "Oh the owners were disappointed in his performance in 2002" which is a lie and "Eagles suck" and garbage like that and "He was rated 2-4 in 2000 and 2001 and he finished about 5th" which is a lie too. There is nothing left to argue. Its over, its all over.

What numbers have dismantled my argument? I'm sorry, but projecting a players stats IF HE WOULD HAVE BEEN HEALTHY does not dismantle anything. McNabb has not helped fantasy owners win championships for the past 2 seasons. Maybe he did in 2000 and 2001, but he he DID NOT in 2002 and 2003.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:49 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
King Titan wrote:
bagobonez wrote:Ok, fine. McNabb was playing well in 2002 before his injury. What about last year? What's his excuse for last year? Thumb injury? Favre had a thumb injury and he led the league in TD passes with a very bland corps of WR's. Steve McNair was a walking ailment last year and he had the highest QB rating in the league and was co-MVP.

No one is to blame for McNabb's short comings last year except for McNabb himself. There comes a time when you have to stop pointing the finger at your WR's, your O-linemen, your running game, or WHATEVER and just start taking some of the blame yourself.

If we're going to make excuses for McNabb and talk about how much potential he has, then why not rate Chad Pennington andJeff Garcia as high as McNabb? Pennington had some very nice numbers in 15 games in 2002. Garcia could always be counted on for some nice numbers until last year. So why aren't they being ranked in the top 5?

Hey Bro it's no sense to argue with these genuises any longer, us in the minority who dislikes McNabb's skills are racist, ignorant, flat out stupid hard headed wife beaters. I've never seen anyone so medicore held to such a high standard. McNair is the red headed step child and McNabb is the rich all american boy eating apple pie and chunky soup.

Yea, its real rough for you guys, championing against the juggernaut that is the McNabb hype machine, give me a break. McNair the red-headed stepchild? He won the damn MVP award last year, all the anti-McNabb people have done is complain and all the pro-McNabb people have provided evidence.

What evidence? Depending on your scoring system he was arguably 5th place in 2000 and 2001. Projecting his stats in 2002 is pointless. Wow, he played well until he got injured. Then in 2003 he was supposed to pick up right where he left off right? Well he didn't. I could come up with a ton of scenarios where so-and-so would have outperformed so-and-so if he had stayed healthy all year. If you weren't on the field, you weren't helping owners win fantasy games. That's the bottom line. I have shown more evidence against McNabb than all the pro-McNabb people have shown to support him. Everyone that supports McNabb makes excuses for him because of his thumb, his WR's, his broken leg, whatever. If you weren't on the field, or weren't playing at a top 5 caliber, then you weren't worth your draft slot.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby goleafsgo96 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:51 pm

He sure did in 2002. He may npt have been there in the chamionship game, but he played most of the FF season, and his high point totals week to week certainly played an enormous role in some teams making the playoffs. And in case youre not aware of this, you have to make the playoffs to win the championship.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:53 pm

goleafsgo96 wrote:He sure did in 2002. He may npt have been there in the chamionship game, but he played most of the FF season, and his high point totals week to week certainly played an enormous role in some teams making the playoffs. And in case youre not aware of this, you have to make the playoffs to win the championship.

Did he finish top 5? No. Was he drafted top 5? Yes. OVERATED.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby goleafsgo96 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:57 pm

bagobonez wrote:
goleafsgo96 wrote:He sure did in 2002. He may npt have been there in the chamionship game, but he played most of the FF season, and his high point totals week to week certainly played an enormous role in some teams making the playoffs. And in case youre not aware of this, you have to make the playoffs to win the championship.

Look everyone, here is a statement someone makes when he is proved wrong. You said "Mcnabb didnt help anyone win in 2002" and i answered, and you give me this. A completely random statement that is totally irrelevant to what i was talking about.

Next time just dont say anything.
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bagobonez » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:59 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Mason, Kevin Dyson (when he was good), Yancey Thigpen, Carl Pickens, Frank Wycheck are all better than anyone McNabb ever had. Plus Calico, McCareins, and Bennett are at least as good as anyone McNabb's had.

Mason has only had 2 great years in Tennessee. Dyson sucked his whole career. He was never good and never will be. Thigpen was good in Pittsburgh, but when he got to Tennessee he was a bust and never even got close to 1,000 yards. Pickens had all of 242 yards in his ONE season in Tennessee. Wycheck was reliable, but he's a friggin' tight end. Great tight ends do not make QB's great fantasy QB's.

I'm not saying McNabb has had an all-star cast around him either. The Eagles' talent at WR has obviously been putrid, but don't say McNair's success has been because of his surrounding cast.

And by the way, the Titans were a run first offense with Eddie until last year. So saying that McNair had a good ground game to help him is pointless because it did not help his stats, it hurt them. Is it coincidence that McNair's career year just happened to come when the Titans started throwing the ball more? I think not.

Yes, Mason is better than any WR the Eagles have had in the past few years, but Mason has only had top 15 fantasy seasons twice.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bagobonez » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:06 pm

goleafsgo96 wrote:
bagobonez wrote:

Look everyone, here is a statement someone makes when he is proved wrong. You said "Mcnabb didnt help anyone win in 2002" and i answered, and you give me this. A completely random statement that is totally irrelevant to what i was talking about.

You're right. He helped people in 2002 from Weeks 1 to 10. What did he do in Weeks 11 through 16 when fantasy teams are pushing to make a playoff berth and win the championship? He was standing on the sideline wearing street clothes. How was I "proved" wrong? (It's proven, by the way, with an "n").

Besides, the argument isn't whether McNabb helped people when he was playing. Of course he did. Stop avoiding the real subject at hand, which is whether or not McNabb has been drafted too high in recent years.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby goleafsgo96 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:26 pm

bagobonez wrote:
goleafsgo96 wrote:
bagobonez wrote:

You're right. He helped people in 2002 from Weeks 1 to 10. What did he do in Weeks 11 through 16 when fantasy teams are pushing to make a playoff berth and win the championship? He was standing on the sideline wearing street clothes. How was I "proved" wrong? (It's proven, by the way, with an "n").

Besides, the argument isn't whether McNabb helped people when he was playing. Of course he did. Stop avoiding the real subject at hand, which is whether or not McNabb has been drafted too high in recent years.
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 34=Sweetness » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:47 pm

Alright LOCK THIS THREAD. PLEASE. The only way it will be settled will be the end of the year stats. So bump it up come that time. There is no longer any point to arguing this, so just lock it. Add it to your favorites, and I plan on bumping it up at the end of the year. If McNabb is top 5, prepare to eat some humble pie bagobonez.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk