can u bros help me out,,,,you guys seem like fantasy gods - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

can u bros help me out,,,,you guys seem like fantasy gods

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby ODOGG » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:23 pm

thats the impression i got from everyone else thanks man,,,,i think a qb with my first pic would be automatic last place for me
ODOGG
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Buckychudd » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:38 pm

Dihall & Deft are correct.

It's fantasy suicide to take a QB in the first round. I probably wouldn't even take one in the second. Try targeting Trent Green, he's great value in the sixth round.

You want to take a RB in the first round.....or if you are drafting at the end of the first, you can take Moss or Harrison (especially since you start 3), otherwise it's all stud RB.

Just remember that RBs rule in FF.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby citti34 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:38 pm

Your first couple picks will be Obvious. The later draft picks make or break your season. I dont take QBs early, why? There are an elite 3 QBs and then there are a number of QBs that do about the same. I took Green in the 7th, and I'm more than happy with that. I have Green and Leftwhich, Green is just a bule collard version of Manning.
citti34
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:45 pm

ODOGG wrote:thats the impression i got from everyone else thanks man,,,,i think a qb with my first pic would be automatic last place for me

smart call. Qbs are cheap regardless of the scoring changes.

One thing I would remember when drafting your RBs is that RBs with high reception totals should be upgraded a bit because of the point per reception rule. LT2, Holmes, Green, Deuce, Edge... do a yahoo list and sort RBs by receptions to get a better look. Be careful of Portis and JLewis types who are more handoff runners.

Dont be afraid to go after Elite WRs after the first rd if the RB options available to you in the 2nd look thin.

EDIT:

I want to just add that there are certain value RBs that should definitely be on your radar because of the receptions rule: TBarber and Garner catch a whole lot of passes and can be had fairly cheap in most leagues.
Last edited by Cornbread Maxwell on Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:03 pm

You are heavily favored towards yardage, so yardage backs like Fred Taylor and Deuce (should pump his TD total) are pretty good. Take an RB first, and wait on for a QB like Hasselback or Trent Green.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby maddog60 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:11 pm

Your yardage system makes me think running QBs will not have their distinct advantage as they do in most leagues.

Compare the 50 yards passing/20 yards rushing or 25 yards passing/10 yards rushing to your scoring system.

You need double the passing yards to equal running yards.
In most other leagues, you need 2.5 passing yards to equal a running yard.

Combine those two factors with all TDs universally being worth 6, you can wait on the running QBs and take a pure passer, and watch as they perform slightly better under this scoring system than they would comparitively in most leageues.

Also, those stats on Holmes are way inaccurate. The man catches 70 receptions and you want to ignore his receiving yards?!? No, Holmes is still the number one pick, I wouldnt change normally drafting strategy much for this league.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:11 pm

What about points for reception yards and INTs?

I plugged your league's scoring system in assuming -2 for INTs and 1 pt/5 yards receiving.

No major changes based on scoring system. Using 2003 final stats, Manning goes over Culpepper by a couple points, Brad Johnson moves up a few spots.

Didn't notice anything strange for WRs.

Kevin Faulk moves into the top 24 RBs because of all his receptions and Richie Anderson was 28th. I wouldn't expect Faulk to repeat all the rushing yards though.

TE's might lose a small amount of value. Maybe half a round to a round.

Your kicker scoring is normal.

I would just follow a normal draft strategy. Grab a top back in the first. Since you're only in an 8 team league, there's probably another top back waiting for you in the 2nd, or grab a top WR if the pickings are slim. In the 3rd, there's probably still a top 5 WR on the board so grab him unless a good back who gets lots of receptions has fallen.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ODOGG » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:19 pm

THANK YOU GUYS for all this imput i am way down with this,,,as far as my point system goes,,,,10 yards recieving or passing,,,is 1 point,,,rushing is 5 yards= 1 point,,,tds=6 points,,,int's =-2, my buddy had culpepper last year with ahman green and deuce and mudered me,,i had holmes,,,alexander,,,and shit for a qb bulger,,,and got rocked,,,the rest of our teams were pretty even
ODOGG
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Tyr » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:03 pm

With one point per reception, you have an automatic 75-100 extra points on LT2. Throw in his high yardage, and you make out like a bandit. Any high yardage RB with good hands will be great for you in a 1pt / 5yd +1 reception league.

However I would absolutely go after a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round in this situation. 1pt / 10 passing yards, instead of the normal 1pt / 25 passing yards? That adds HUGE value to this years projected high yardage (3800+) passers. (Peyton, Hass, Trent Green) Peyton and Green both have 4k yard years under their belt recently. That equates to ~156 points from yardage in a regular league but a massive ~390 points in yours.

Due to your leagues scoring rules, taking a QB early seems like an absolute must to me. In regular leagues, it's typically seen as suicide to take anyone other than CPep, Manning, or in some cases Vick before the late 2nd or 3rd... in yours, if you skip out on a talented passing QB that can rush (Cpep stands out, at a projected 3720 passing, 420 rushing for a projected 452 fantasy points before interceptions/tds) you may as well resign yourself to watching Vick and Brooks and Green and CPep lead other teams to the playoffs while you sit around wishing you had taken a back that pulled in more receptions than Ahman Green (projected 292 points rushing with ~50 receptions and ~400 yards receiving, for a total of 422 projected points before touchdowns.)

As a quick recap.. look at the stats based on my projections:

CPep: 3720 passing (372), 420 rushing (84), 31 TDs (186), and 16 INT (-32), bringing CPep's total worth to a whopping 610 fantasy points.

LT2: 1580 rushing (316), 80 receptions (80), 540 receiving yards (I assume at 5yd/1pt) (108), 15 TDs (90).. bringing LT2's total fantasy value to 594 points.

Now.. you know all of those people saying not to take a QB in the first round? I would say that 610 points is a much greater value than 594. Considering you won't get nearly as much value out of any other RB due to LT2's huge reception yardage and number of receptions, I would strongly consider picking up a QB in the first. In your league QBs that rush consistantly AND rack up huge passing yardage are gold.

Good luck, and let us know how you end up.
Tyr
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby hawksfan896 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:39 pm

Tyr wrote:With one point per reception, you have an automatic 75-100 extra points on LT2. Throw in his high yardage, and you make out like a bandit. Any high yardage RB with good hands will be great for you in a 1pt / 5yd +1 reception league.

However I would absolutely go after a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round in this situation. 1pt / 10 passing yards, instead of the normal 1pt / 25 passing yards? That adds HUGE value to this years projected high yardage (3800+) passers. (Peyton, Hass, Trent Green) Peyton and Green both have 4k yard years under their belt recently. That equates to ~156 points from yardage in a regular league but a massive ~390 points in yours.

Due to your leagues scoring rules, taking a QB early seems like an absolute must to me. In regular leagues, it's typically seen as suicide to take anyone other than CPep, Manning, or in some cases Vick before the late 2nd or 3rd... in yours, if you skip out on a talented passing QB that can rush (Cpep stands out, at a projected 3720 passing, 420 rushing for a projected 452 fantasy points before interceptions/tds) you may as well resign yourself to watching Vick and Brooks and Green and CPep lead other teams to the playoffs while you sit around wishing you had taken a back that pulled in more receptions than Ahman Green (projected 292 points rushing with ~50 receptions and ~400 yards receiving, for a total of 422 projected points before touchdowns.)

As a quick recap.. look at the stats based on my projections:

CPep: 3720 passing (372), 420 rushing (84), 31 TDs (186), and 16 INT (-32), bringing CPep's total worth to a whopping 610 fantasy points.

LT2: 1580 rushing (316), 80 receptions (80), 540 receiving yards (I assume at 5yd/1pt) (108), 15 TDs (90).. bringing LT2's total fantasy value to 594 points.

Now.. you know all of those people saying not to take a QB in the first round? I would say that 610 points is a much greater value than 594. Considering you won't get nearly as much value out of any other RB due to LT2's huge reception yardage and number of receptions, I would strongly consider picking up a QB in the first. In your league QBs that rush consistantly AND rack up huge passing yardage are gold.

Good luck, and let us know how you end up.

You need to read the above posts. Yes, QBs score more on average, but 1-10 QBs are fairly close in total points, 1-10 RBs are very distanced, and it keeps going down. The difference between Manning and Brady is nowhere near the difference between Priest and Travis Henry. Also, with 1 pt per 5 yds rushing and a pt for reception it evens out QBs monster numbers. Gotta get an RB in round 1, and probably round 2 with an 8 team league. Period.
"When I was a kid I thought I was going to be the starting centerfielder for the Boston Red Sox. Life sucks, get a f___ing helmet." --Dennis Leary
hawksfan896
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk