McGahee wants to be traded if not named the starter - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

McGahee wants to be traded if not named the starter

Moderator: Football Moderators

McGahee wants to be traded if not named the starter

Postby Bowie » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:43 pm

THE NEWS

Willis McGahee has reportedly asked the Buffalo Bills to trade him if he is not their starting running back on opening day. According to the Associated Press, McGahee did not issue any type of ultimatum, but expressed his unhappiness at the prospect of playing second fiddle to starter Travis Henry. A Bills' spokesman denied the rumor and McGahee could not be reached for comment.

OUR VIEW

Hopefully this situation does not become a problem for the Bills. Henry is the clear starter right now, but McGahee is the obvious back of the future. The team was hoping for the two to peacefully coexist, sometimes even in the backfield at the same time, this year, but it looks like that may not happen. McGahee has little leverage other than the threat that he could become a clubhouse cancer, but this situation obviously bears watching closely. A starting spot for McGahee would send his fantasy value skyrocketing, but don't count on that happening, at least not early in the regular season.

This is a fanball report. As a Henry owner, I hope something comes of this even if I doubt it will.
Anyone else wonder how he can make this demand of a team that took a chance on him and paid him to rehab a college injury for a year?
Last edited by Bowie on Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ColtsTD » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:48 pm

I bet they trade Henry if anything, bc didnt he request the same thing?
ColtsTD
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby IRON CHEF » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:49 pm

I don't think these two like each other very much. :-b

Isn't this exactly what Henry said about a week ago? At least he earned have at least a little say in things, McGahee is just settling in and already demanding a starting job. Of course there is the posssibility that this is completlely untrue.

As for Henry, this wouldn't up his value too much in my opinion. Maybe others would draft him earlier, but essentially he would be seeing the same amount of playing time because McGahee wasnt going to take much anyway.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Re: McGahee wants to be traded if not named the starter

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:55 pm

Bowie wrote:Anyone else wonder how he can make this demand of a team that took a chance on him and paid him to rehab a college injury for a year?

I agree, the Bills have been nothing but good to him and this is how he responds?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:59 pm

WHY IN THE HELL DID THE BILLS DRAFT WILLIS MCGAHEE?

Even if they trade him now, will they get a 1st round pick for him? Not likely. Even if they did, they'd be pretty much swapping 1st round picks (McGahee for another 1st) and having paid him to rehab for a year with all their trainers and doctors caring for him.

That was the dumbest draft pick I've ever seen. You have a very young stud (Henry), who's durable (played on broken leg), and plays his heart out. Then you draft a questionable gimp RB in the first. What were they thinking?
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: McGahee wants to be traded if not named the starter

Postby Bowie » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:59 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
Bowie wrote:Anyone else wonder how he can make this demand of a team that took a chance on him and paid him to rehab a college injury for a year?

I agree, the Bills have been nothing but good to him and this is how he responds?

Yeah, and after one good pre-season game and four goaline carries in practice. I think he will end up being a good back, but isn't it a little early to start making demands?
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:00 pm

unbelievable.

I really am speechless.

What a classless move.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:00 pm

Gotta love a guy that has exactly -zero- NFL carries & demands a trade. Prove yourself first Willis!
Who da man? Sp_Da_Man !
Sp_Da_Man
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BeefSandwiches » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:03 pm

If this does turn out to be true, the Bills should dump him IMMEDIATELY if they can get any value for him. I wouldn't want this guy around and I think some GMs will think twice about grabbing a guy who slaps the face of a team that potentially saved his career.
BeefSandwiches
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:06 pm

If this is true, he is a moron. I think he should prove himself in games when it matters not against players that may not actually be part of a legitimate NFL team when the season actually starts.

You would think they would want a higher pick than when they took him like 20th or whatever. I think it's way to early to do that.

But they are going to have to do something since they burned next year's first pick to Dallas to get Losman. That must have been how they were thinking about getting it back.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk