Why is everyone so down on shockey - he's the best - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why is everyone so down on shockey - he's the best

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Dub-Dub » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:28 pm

What I don't get is people who discount injury history... they'll say things like, "barring injury" or "if he plays a full season".

Gonzo has been a minimal injury threat, while Shockey has yet to play a 16 game seaon. How can you not devalue Shockey for this? If he only plays 9 games, but he puts up more points than Gonzo in those 9 games... do we then extrapolate out that he is then better.

To quote Parcells... you are what you are. Gonzo is a proven #1, Shockey is a proven injury risk.

Took T.Gonz in the 4th, and am happy.
Dub-Dub
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby latraffic » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:27 pm

Well this list of posts was the most exciting I've read in quite awhile. Appears there isn't much middle ground (unless you're a Heap or Cumpler fan).

Shockey, who I did draft in the 5th round after Gonzo, Heap and Crumpler were gone (who went in earlier rounds in that order), is another of those high risk/high reward guys. He has the potential to be a phenominal TE someday... will he break out this year? Hope so since I got him. Am I really counting on it? (Bleep) no.

Best thing about the TE position - if he's lousy, it won't break my roster - but if he excells, it can really smooth the road for me to get into the playoffs.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Who is going to throw to Shockey???

Postby RODOG » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:18 pm

Don't forget ELi Manning is a rookie and will make rookie mistakes. Its not like they have been hooking it up in training camp. With Shockey watching form the sidelines. My number 2 TE is Todd Heap BAL huge threat in the RED ZONE, remember when we got nocked real hard in the endzone his helmet came off? got up. Thats the guy I want on my team...

THE BLINDBANDITS
RODOG
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby IRON CHEF » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:25 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:
Dazedncnfz wrote:No worries here guys, you live and learn. The pain has been eliminated, you guys can go on and have a civil conversation now ;-D

BTW Gonzo is all over Shocky!...Now I do beleive Shocky will be a top 2-5 TE no problem, but better then Gonzo? I say no, he hasn't proven that he can be yet. All he has proven is that he can get injuryed and he has a big mouth!
Thanks dazed for putting our argument in a nutshell. migarvin, how about a little paper bag challenge? End of the season, if Gonzo outproduces Shockey, you have to wear the NYG paperbag for the span of the playoffs from wild card weekend until the end of the Super Bowl. Ill wear the Chiefs paperbag if Shockey's numbers are better.

I've seen you issue out about 10 paperbag challenges already. :-b

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jumpman8828 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:39 pm

IRON CHEF wrote:
34=Sweetness wrote:
Dazedncnfz wrote:No worries here guys, you live and learn. The pain has been eliminated, you guys can go on and have a civil conversation now ;-D

BTW Gonzo is all over Shocky!...Now I do beleive Shocky will be a top 2-5 TE no problem, but better then Gonzo? I say no, he hasn't proven that he can be yet. All he has proven is that he can get injuryed and he has a big mouth!
Thanks dazed for putting our argument in a nutshell. migarvin, how about a little paper bag challenge? End of the season, if Gonzo outproduces Shockey, you have to wear the NYG paperbag for the span of the playoffs from wild card weekend until the end of the Super Bowl. Ill wear the Chiefs paperbag if Shockey's numbers are better.

Haha...what if you lose more than one? Will your paperbags be splitting posts? If so, that could really take down the value of each...err, sorry, too much fantasy lately. Good luck with those challenges Sweetness ;-D
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Who is going to throw to Shockey???

Postby RODOG » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:48 am

ELI? he is a rookie. number 1 TE is Gnozo followed up by HEAP, ROOKIES make ROOKIE mistakes. Dont forget in the preseason they run a lot of vanilla defenses, no blitz schemes. :-t
RODOG
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby 34=Sweetness » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:00 pm

jumpman8828 wrote:
IRON CHEF wrote:
34=Sweetness wrote:

Haha...what if you lose more than one? Will your paperbags be splitting posts? If so, that could really take down the value of each...err, sorry, too much fantasy lately. Good luck with those challenges Sweetness ;-D
I dont plan on losing the one about McNabb being a top5 QB at the end of the year and the Gonzo>Shockey one. The Bears/Packers ones I'm going to throw up come like the 2nd week Im not so sure on though :-o .
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby theBigHouse » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:18 pm

I agree with Leafs... forget about Shockey/Gonzo and take a decent TE like Gates or F Jones as a late rounder. You'll barely lose any ground to even the top TE and you'll end up grabbing a WR like Mason or Sant Moss in the 4th!!
theBigHouse
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Explicitpunk001 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:23 pm

I just hate Shockey that's about it
Explicitpunk001
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk