Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics. (And Football) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics. (And Football)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:23 pm

Mathematical algorithms absolutely do work on human beings. There are patterns even in chaos. Like KH said, they may not be perfect but they're better than nothing.

Even the better baseball models have a tough time hitting 75% accuracy. I am relatively new to FF but I would guess most football models are lucky to hit 50% accuracy. Sample sizes in baseball are immense compared to football and we have a lot more data readily available.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRawDAWG » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:55 pm

Didn't John Nash try to figure out Mathematical Algorithms with regard to human beings? And if I remember correctly he figured it out to some degree of accuracy.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby hawksfan896 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:05 pm

Check out http://www.fftoolbox.com. It lets you rank with YOUR scoring system, positional starters, etc. for free. You have to register, but it's completely free once you do. It'll give you enough players for your first 6 rounds, then position-by-position rankings to fill out your roster.
"When I was a kid I thought I was going to be the starting centerfielder for the Boston Red Sox. Life sucks, get a f___ing helmet." --Dennis Leary
hawksfan896
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk